What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
There is a "family" or "team" feeling here.
What They Do
We asked ZestFinance to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Founded in 2009 by Douglas Merrill -- former CIO of Google -- ZestFinance is a technology platform that applies Google-like math to transform consumer lending, help companies makes smarter credit decisions, and in turn, expand availability of fair and transparent credit.
About this Company
| Website: zestfinance.com|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Los Angeles, California|| US Sites: 1|
| Major Locations: Los Angeles, California|| US Employees: 100|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2009|
Perks and Programs
We asked ZestFinance to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Family Leave Policy: Our parental leave policy provides six months of paid time off for primary caregivers, with the option to work part-time for six additional months with full benefits. In addition, we also offer three months of paid time off for new secondary caregivers. This efforts are to ensure our employees have the support they need to focus on what matters most to them -- their personal lives.
- Diversity Initiative: At ZestFinance, we believe diversity is important to winning. In January 2016, we achieved several commitments to increase workforce diversity made as part of the first-ever White House Demo Day focused on inclusive entrepreneurship. Those commitments include:
- Increasing minority diversity by 25 percent by 2Q 2016
- At least doubling the number of veterans in the company by the end of 2016.
- Ensuring a diverse slate of candidates that includes at least one woman and person of color for every job position by the end of 2015.
We are still working to achieve the following commitments:
- Gender parity in the workforce, which builds on our success of achieving this goal for our C-suite in 2015.
- Tripling the number of employees with disabilities by the end of 2016.
- Unlimited Vacation: Most companies policies allow employees to take off 10 days or 15 days or some set amount. We are different. ZestFinance has no formal time off policy. In other words, we do not have a maximum limit of the number of vacation days a salaried employee can take. Employees have unlimited vacation time and they are encouraged to take it. We want employees to get rest, spend time with their family, and recharge. When employees are on vacation we ask that they completely unplug by staying away from work email and work related phone calls. We also ask that employees not email people who are on vacation.
- Relaxation and Wellness: On Tuesdays and Thursdays, all employees have the opportunity to get a manicure, pedicure or a massage -- free of charge.
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks and beer: We provide catered lunch Monday through Friday and a fully stocked kitchen of snacks, beverages and craft beer on tap. We also provide a barista bar for espresso drinks, pastries, and bagels in the mornings.
- Skip Level Lunches: We have an open culture, and we encourage and take feedback seriously from employees at all levels. The executive team and our PeopleOps team hold weekly skip level lunches and coffee meetings in an informal setting with employees to engage with them and understand if there are any underlying concerns. This helps uncover any issues that would not be captured by a survey and allows employees to feel safe speaking up as actions are taken if needed after such one on one meetings.
- Management Training and Mentorship: ZestFinance enlists outside professional leadership management training to assist the development of new managers. Our employees can choose a class or training, and Zest will reimburse $10,000 per calendar year for these trainings. Employees are encouraged to stay up to date by attending conferences in their fields of expertise. Zest will reimburse up to $3,000 per calendar year for these expenses. We also have one-on-one executive coaching by our Chief People Officer who takes the time to engage and mentor our staff, especially young women, to help advance their careers to the next level.
- Commuter Benefit: ZestFinance funds employees' use of Lyft to commute to and from work -- for those employees who live more than 30 minutes from Zest's office. This is to alleviate the stress of commuting and enable employees to use long commute times to do other things like read, talk on the phone, or just think. Additionally, for employees who want to use public transportation to commute to work, ZestFinance reimburses their monthly public transportation passes.
- Cell phone service, home internet, and gym membership reimbursement: ZestFinance reimburses employees for their monthly cell phone service, home internet service, and gym memberships.
- Employee Recognition: ZestFinance has a strong culture of recognition and appreciation based on our robust programs:
1) ZestFinance has a "Zestian of the Month" program to recognize employees who have gone above. The employee receives a $150 gift card, an Oscar (we are based in Hollywood) and has their name in a Hollywood star plaque posted on the wall in our headquarters.
2) We hold a champagne toast to announce promotions.
3) Any employee can give a $150 gift to any employee at anytime to thank them for going above and beyond.
4) Managers highlight employee successes through internal newsletters and written communication.
5) We announce to all employees when an employee has achieved 5 years at the company and give them gifts to thank them.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 6% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 3.5% of an employee's salary||85% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 85% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 85% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| There is no specific requirement. hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $5,250 College Tuition Reimbursement|
- Stock options to employees
- Pre-tax savings account
- Employee stock ownership plan
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
- Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
- Massage therapy
- Dry cleaning
- Free beverages during the day
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- On-site package/mailing service
- Car wash
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (100% use it)
- Telecommute option (100% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|180 days Job-protected maternity leave||180 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|180 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||90 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|90 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||49 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|180 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents||180 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- 'Chief People Officer and VP of People Operations' is accountable to formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Formal programs support professional development for: Women
- 2 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked ZestFinance for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We evaluate potential employees on three questions: 1) Whether they are a culture fit and have the propensity to live our values -- what we call "The Ten Things we Know to be True" -- in their everyday work; 2) We hire people with high intellectual horsepower; 3) We have a no jerk policy that we follow relgiously. We do not hire people with egos, but instead we hire people who want to make a positive impact in the world.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Provide a brief description of how their life has made them a cultural fit for our company and prepared them for a role at Zest. More than just work experience, what has a candidate done in their life that separates them from others with similar work experience
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our website and apply! Feel free to email us to get on an invite list for externally focused events that we host.
| 40 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 54% Job Growth|
| 81 Average applicants per opening|| 5,597 Applications received|
| 57 Positions filled in past year|| 20% New hires by employee referrals|
| 57 New positions created|| 5 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 8 New graduates hired|
| 6% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|