What Employees Say
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
When people change jobs or work units, they are made to feel right at home.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked WP Engine to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
WP Engine is the world’s leading WordPress digital experience platform that gives companies of all sizes the agility, performance, intelligence, and integrations they need to drive their business forward faster.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.wpengine.com|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Austin, Texas, 78701|| US Sites: 3|
| Major Locations: San Antonio, Texas, 78205; San Francisco, California, 94103|| US Employees: 421|
| Worldwide Revenues: $100 million|| Employees Worldwide: 472|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2010|
Perks and Programs
We asked WP Engine to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Employee Stock Option Program: Every employee at WP Engine is given a grant of stock options. We do this to ensure that everyone participates in the company’s upside and is motivated to help us grow.
- Unlimited Vacation Days: One of our core values is “Where The Best Get Better.” A major part of that is cultivating a culture that encourages time away from the office - time spent with friends or family, time to pursue passion projects, time to relax and recharge and time to explore. Because, while we’re all technologists, we’re also triathletes, explorers, musicians, chefs, photographers, authors, gamers and much more.
- Catered Lunches: WP Engine offers free lunches to all employees, even the ones who work in support overnight. We have a “snack room” where there’s a stash of nearly every sweet treat or salty snack you could possibly want and multiple refrigerators stocked with office favorite LaCroix sparkling water.
- All Hands Events: We, at WP Engine, are extremely proud of our semi-annual All Hands week when employees come together for a week of team building and bonding with tons of fun activities: including anything from lip sync battles, talent shows, live bands, and even sumo wrestling. Culture is important to us and is all of our collective responsibility to tend - like a flame. All Hands week provides an opportunity for everyone to interact and have fun outside of their daily work responsibilities. It's also an opportunity to ensure alignment with our mission and purpose.
- Give Back: We have a grassroots "Giving Back" program through which employees initiate and participate in various charitable activities. The employees run the program NOT our executive team. The team has run a variety of volunteer efforts, particularly focused on STEM, underprivileged youth and diversity efforts, and has raised over $50,000 for local and national charities -- while also investing over 1,500 hours volunteering in 2017. Our Movember team, devoted to men’s health issues placed 121st nationally and was a leader in Austin and in the tech industry nationally. Many of our employees mentor youth and are personally involved with organizations that share a vision and align with our core values.
- WP Engine Diversity: At WP Engine, we believe diversity attracts diversity – people are more likely to join an organization where they see people that they can identify with: 30% women in the workforce including key technical and R&D roles, 55% of the exec management team is women, 30% non-white employees across the business, 33% of employees come to the company through referrals, 30% of employees do not have a college degree.
- Financial Wellness: At WP Engine, we believe all employees should pay themselves first by investing in their future. We are proud to support our employees by offering a 401k contribution to employees that have worked at the company for over a year. We also offer personal finance seminars throughout the year with individual financial panning advice.
- Customer Experience On-boarding: At WP Engine, we believe that diversity of ideas, diversity of beliefs, diversity of people fuel our success. We are intentional on opening our doors wider to share more opportunities. All new employees go through a new employee on-boarding process and we offer a 6 week on-boarding program for all new Technical Support hires that allows us to expand our hiring efforts and create opportunities for those looking to enter the technical field.
- Learning and Development: In support of our core value "Where The Best Get Better" we offer extensive learning and development opportunities. In 2017, we offered more than 8,300 hours of training and learning and development across our organization. In addition to the new employee on-boarding and the technical training our customer experience organization receives, we encourage employees to sign up for courses that peak their interest through our instructor led curriculum or build their own path through Safari Online. We are also proud of our Arbinger program, rolled out by our on-staff coach, equipping our managers to grow as leaders.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|100% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 50% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Vacation Paid time off|| Unlimited Sick Paid time off|
| Unlimited Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Compressed work weeks (10% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (81% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (Free lunch, snacks and drinks, on-site gym, downtown parking, mother's room)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|90 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||90 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|10 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||30 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
|30 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
- Chief People Officer oversees diversity and inclusion practices
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked WP Engine for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Passion and an aptitude for learning are great characteristics of successful candidates. As we continue to grow and scale, opportunity is abundant at WP Engine. Candidates that are passionate about what they do and have a natural curiosity are often successful in not only their professional careers, but also on making a larger impact at WP Engine.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Demonstrate authenticity. At WP Engine we believe in people bringing their entire self to work and love to see that in potential employees. Something that sounds so simple goes a long way in our hiring and decision making process.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
As we look forward to the coming year we plan to continue hiring across all departments and welcome everyone to look into our open opportunities to find the right fit just for them.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
First thing to do is to check out our current openings at wpengine-careers.com. After that we would encourage checking us out on social media (@wpejobs) to uncover more about our company culture and what it’s like to work here.
| 228 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 12% Job Growth|
| 71 Average applicants per opening|| 11,000 Total job applicants|
| 32% New hires by employee referrals|| 21% Openings filled by current employees|
| 15% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|