World Wide Technology has grown quickly into a global force in IT, yet it hasn't left behind its friendly, supportive culture.



This review is based on 1069 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.24. It was published on Oct 14, 2014. 19474 Visitors

What You Should Know

World Wide Technology, Inc. (WWT) has grown quickly into a global force in IT, yet it hasn't left behind a culture that employees overwhelmingly describe as friendly and supportive. Its team members say they often take on long hours and heaping portions of responsibility, yet are happy to do so. That's thanks, in part, to the large degree of pride they take in their work and a widespread confidence in their leaders' decisions. Employees are also rewarded well for their efforts, with profit sharing and spot bonuses. WWT has proven very attractive to people who want to work hard for an organization that will invest in their professional development in return. With an annual growth rate exceeding 15 percent a year, though, a few growing pains are to be expected. "The culture here fosters an attitude of teamwork, motivation and comfort," says one employee. "This is not something a company can buy. It's earned through hard work and good people."


WWT is a systems integrator that helps companies solve a range of challenges in IT. 

Website: US Headquarters: St. Louis, Missouri
US Sites: 29 Major Locations: St. Louis, MO; Edwardsville, IL; Pleasanton, CA; Honolulu, HI; Austin, TX
US Employees: 2414 US revenues: $5900 million
Worldwide revenues: $6400 million Employees worldwide: 2659
Founded: 1990 Industry: Information Technology

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At WWT, 90 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 8 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

A large majority of WWT employees (95 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and even more (96 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. Additionally, nine in 10 employees describe their work at WWT as "more than just a job."

At WWT, 90 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at WWT, 85 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, exceeding what one can typically expect even at the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $20,000
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 15 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 100 hours
  • WWT invests heavily in employees' professional development. Programs the company offers include coaching, courses taught through WWT University, an accelerated cybersecurity program, internships and training specifically for those in sales and management.
WWT offers the unique option to move throughout the organizations so that you can find the 'right seat on the bus.' I've known several people who have basically created their own positions or moved from one department to another without issue.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At WWT, 93 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 5 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

WWT's recently remodelled IT department in St. Louis, Mo., features writable walls and treadmill desks for those who want them. Stocked coolers known as mini-cafeterias let employees purchase snacks and meals with a credit card or even a thumbprint.

Fun and Celebrations

  • WWT has been known to call an ice cream truck to the office on hot days. The company also treats its employees to World Cup watch parties, Diwali celebrations and department outings to places like wineries, paintball centers and Cardinals games. In fact, the headquarters also hosts an opening day barbecue to kick off baseball season each year. Other large events include holiday parties where the company once raffled off a car, with the proceeds going to charity. 

Caring and Support

  • WWT looks out for employees facing personal challenges by offering two days of bereavement leave following the death of an immediate family member, as well as a range of confidential counseling resources through an employee assistance program.
People celebrate special events around here.
The thing that truly sets WWT apart from other companies and makes us unique, is our company culture and core values. WWT truly invests in having the right people and culture. This is what has allowed us to be so successful. No matter what your position is within the company, they truly care about you as an individual. The atmosphere and sense of pride is evident everywhere. WWT is one big family, where we will do whatever it takes to help out the company and each other.


Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At WWT, 90 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 7 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

I've worked a few places since graduating college, and not once been treated anywhere close to the way I am at WWT. This place allows you to do your job, learn at your own pace, respects you for your position (no matter how low or high on the corporate scale) and makes me feel appreciated every day. We celebrate birthdays, hard work and everything in between. The benefits, time off and other perks are out of this world. I consider myself very lucky to work here.


$28,371 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Warehouse Associate $109,604 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Engineer
100% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution 90% Company-paid health coverage for employees
90% Company-paid health coverage for dependents


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Massage therapy
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Free breakfast foods on a regular basis
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Convenience store


10 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment 90 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA
15 days Paid leave for adoptive parents


  • Telecommute option (70% use it)
  • Elder care resources
  • Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
Management truly makes a genuine effort to invest in their people. They foster growth, appreciate the work and value employees bring, strive to make a positive work environment and promote balance between work/personal life. They stress the importance of family and the WWT family as well. It's because of our management that employees are eager to step in to help in strenuous circumstances, where we might have to work late, weekends or help out with logistics. 


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments


  • Breast cancer screening
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At WWT, 94 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 4 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

WWT aims to use the latest technology to improve clients' data management, collaboration, networking and supply chains. Its customers include AT&T, Dell, Boeing, Microsoft, Coca Cola and the Department of Defense. Founded in 1990, WWT has since grown into a global company with revenues totalling more than $6 billion in 2013.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
At WWT there is an excellent culture, dedicated to doing business the RIGHT way. Huge focus on accountability and leadership at all levels.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 8 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $2,900,000
  • Departments have taken trips to help build houses, feed the homeless and donate laptops to local students.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
WWT, and really everyone at the company, is very generous in giving to charities throughout the year. We are given a day off to offer our services and support our charity of choice. 

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At WWT, 91 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 6 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

WWT employs 2,414 people who work at 29 different locations. Despite the organization's size, employees broadly describe an environment where it is easy to access the information they need. The vast majority of employees (94 percent) agree that managers are approachable and easy to talk with. Nine out of 10 team members also say that their leaders keep them informed about important issues and changes, make expectations clear and genuinely seek out ideas from employees. 

There is a culture of openness in collaboration and learning from each other. Information is not hoarded, but shared with whoever wants to know. Additionally, it is in constant change/flux, yet it is always getting better and improving with no regression in sight. 

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At WWT, 89 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 8 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

WWT employees widely appreciate the workplace pride and welcoming atmosphere their leaders encourage at the company. An exceptional share of team members also express confidence in how the organization is run. Ninety-six percent say managers are competent at operating the business. At the same time, 95 percent of employees say their leaders are honest, ethical and would only lay people off as a last resort. What's more, 93 percent say their managers show a sincere interest in them as people, not just as employees. 

I have worked in a number of organizations with varied management teams and cultures, but WWT stands out from them all. It is unique in how accessible and supportive the management teams are and how they lead by example in promoting and living WWT's core values. In addition, WWT is just a fun place to work!

Great Perks and Programs

  • Hackathon: Teams of employees across the company can drop their work for two days and take part in this marathon "festival of ideas." WWT provides food, drinks and sleeping areas, and the final projects are judged by company executives.
  • Profit Sharing: All employees, excluding executives, receive bonuses proportionate to their salaries derived from a 3 percent share of the company's net income.
  • Telecommuting: The company implemented a formal policy to allow employees to work from home, and portions of the business offer a "hoteling" arrangement for people to share workspaces on non-telecommuting days.
  • Half-off Tuition: Beyond a traditional tuition-reimbursement program, WWT will pay for half of the tuition, fees and books for coursework related to an employee's job. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from WWT employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"The environment is so pleasant. I wake up happy to be going in to work every morning."

"Everyone appears to be friendly. It is a very congenial atmosphere, with people working together well."

"The culture and the leadership are the two primary reasons that make WWT such a great place to work. I feel as though the leadership provides clear direction as to where we are going as a company and promotes a sense of security. The leadership also creates and develops a culture that makes you feel as though you are a part of something greater than yourself. It makes you want to be the best you can be, not just for your benefit and the benefit of the company, but mostly for the people with whom you work."

"The passion the people have here is incredible. It shows through in their work ethics, how they help the community and who they are outside of work with their family and friends. They are truly genuine people. It amazes me still after 10 years, to be a part of such a great group of people."

"The management is very approachable, even all the way up to the president and CEO. There is a coach-up mentality, where employees are encouraged to provide feedback to management on their ideas and thoughts about things they do and don't like."

"The executive team is extremely approachable. They know their employees by name and are friendly."

"WWT really tries to create a flexible work environment with great benefits for its employees. WWT wants its employees to work hard and always go the extra mile for our customers and vendors, but they always leave time for team, department and company outings. We have tread desks for employees to use to exercise while they work, as well as regular Simply Well health challenges. Whenever I have had any contact with executive management they have all been extremely friendly and open, really trying to get to know their employees."

"At WWT there are lots of celebrations, a casual dress code, clear communication of core values and a desire to live by them."

"Everyone has a similar mindset when it comes to business. We all work hard and enjoy the work we do."

"There is a feeling of community and family. Everyone is helpful and supportive. It truly is a special place."

"A unique characteristic about WWT is just how good it feels to work here. There is no doubt that WWT truly cares about their employees. Management is easy to approach, easy to talk to and open-minded to changes and ideas. I have never felt that I was 'under' someone just because of my title or job experience."

"The thing that is really unique and that I particularly admire about working at this company, is the depth of knowledge, experience and willingness of other individuals across the globe to come to your aid if you have questions regarding certain topics, regardless of how busy they are. It seems as though if I have a question I can ask and receive an answer within a day!"

How to Get Hired

We asked WWT for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

The key characteristics that allow someone to be a great fit with our company center entirely around our Core Values - THE PATH. Trust, Humility, Embrace Change, Passion, Attitude (Positive and Open-minded), Team Player, Honesty and Integrity. Candidates who embody these values and have a track record of going above and beyond in their past and current roles will thrive at WWT.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

It's important to make sure you're a fit and your resume aligns to the position you're applying to. During initial screening, we look for passion. IT is a buzzword-laden industry and it's important to have passion and substance beyond the jargon. Being able to show examples of going above and beyond are important. That's a big part of the culture at WWT.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

WWT takes its culture very seriously. Therefore, our interview process can be lengthy. We incorporate teams into the interview process, along with HR and hiring managers to determine the best technical/functional and cultural fit.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

Within business development and professional services, there has been an emphasis in hiring security professionals across four areas of security: access control, network security, security analytics and advisory services. Security is the most “invasive” side of IT, in that it is involved with all aspects of the lines of business that WWT drives. Whether it be data center, big data, BYOD, cloud, etc., there is a component of security that overlaps all of this and can be integrated into virtually any hardware or services deal. 

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Candidates interested in WWT should visit to learn more about the company and view current job openings.

Hiring Outlook

17%Job Growth 24Average number of applicants per opening
6%Total voluntary turnover in past year 14793Applicants in past year
33%New hires by employee referrals

Follow World Wide Technology, Inc.

Related Companies