What Employees Say
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
My work has special meaning: this is not "just a job".
What They Do
We asked WISE & Healthy Aging to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
WISE & Healthy Aging, a nonprofit, multi-service, social services organization, provides programs and services that promote quality of life for seniors and caregivers in Los Angeles County.
About this Company
| Website: www.wiseandhealthyaging.org|| Industry: Social Services and Government Agencies|
| US Headquarters: Santa Monica, California|| US Sites: 5|
| Major Locations: Canoga Park, California; Pasadena, California; Montebello, California; Lakewood, California|| US Employees: 66|
| US Revenues: $6.6 million|| Corporate Structure: Non-Profit|
| Founded: 1968|
Perks and Programs
We asked WISE & Healthy Aging to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Care Management Development: Our Care Managers who hold Masters degrees in Social Work (MSW) are encouraged to attend conferences on a regular basis to further their knowledge base as well as career goals. As an employee and the director of this program, WISE & Healthy Aging sponsored the director to be trained and certified in an "evidence-based" practice called "Powerful Tools for Caregivers." She was also sponsored by the WISE & Healthy Aging to sit for the exam in Case Management Certification (CMC), which she is now certified in as well.
- Ties to Our Community: WISE & Healthy Aging strongly encourages community involvement through task forces, coalitions and service organizations. The belief is that we can only be responsive to community's needs when we are a vital part of the communities we serve. Community involvement is an important element of many of our job descriptions.
- Professional Development: WISE & Healthy Aging offers myriad opportunities for professional development by supporting and encouraging attendance at conferences and continuing education seminars. Staff are encouraged to seek opportunities and education that enhance their skill sets and the agency affords the opportunity for growth and advancement.
- Training & Education: Our Agency provides terrific support for us to learn the latest programs and techniques, and then bring them back to implement. For example, we send staff and volunteers to be trained in the latest “evidence-based” workshops for healthy living and fall prevention. We’re constantly creating new training materials and classes, or adapting our original ones to fit new needs, which is very professionally rewarding. For example, when California law changed to require training for in-home caregivers, we were the first, and we’re still the only, place to provide that training to people who are working independently (not part of big agencies).
- Club 1527: WISE & Healthy Aging’s Club 1527, a social and recreation Club for older active adults, is a full-blown expression of the organization's mission for the staff, volunteers, and 933 members. The Staff has the opportunity to participate weekly in two of the 21 exercise classes (e.g. yoga, tai chi) conducted by volunteer instructors. Most of these volunteers have participated since the Club opened in 2013, which has given them the opportunity to make a difference in such a fun and healthy environment. Each quarter, the volunteers are acknowledged by being awarded an excursion for two, to educational and arts events, museums, or other exciting local sites.
- Ombudsman & Elder Abuse Prevention Services: The City and County of Los Angeles Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program at WISE & Healthy Aging is the largest program of its kind in the nation. We advocate for the rights of disabled adults and senior residents in over 1800 long-term care facilities throughout the County. What's unique about our team is day in and day out, we go onto the premises of nursing facilities and take the perspective of seniors
- Management Development: We support those in management positions to, on a part-time basis, obtain advanced degrees (master's level) by accommodating them with time-off for classes and internships, utilizing paid-time-off, when applicable.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $40,500 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Coordinator|| $53,663 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Care Manager|
| 25% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 5% of an employee's salary||90% Company-paid health coverage for employees (The coverage applies to all who work at least 20 hours per week.)|
| 90% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|| 20 hours per week. hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Discount ticket sales
- Free beverages during the day
- Fitness classes
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 19 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 15 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 3 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Phased retirement planning (3% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|206 days Job-protected maternity leave||80 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked WISE & Healthy Aging for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We look for people who are committed to making a positive difference in the lives of older adults. Additionally, we look for those who demonstrate initiative and critical thinking and/are: energetic, personable, humble, honest and capable.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
People who know and respect our mission and who are familiar with our programs should contact us.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are in need of experienced, dedicated social workers who have worked in the areas of long-term care for older adults in terms of advocacy, education and care management.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates should visit our website at www.wiseandhealthyaging.org and submit a resume and cover letter that explains their interest in WISE & Healthy Aging.
| 6 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 2% Job Growth|
| 20 Average applicants per opening|| 100 Applications received|
| 22 Positions filled in past year|| 5 New positions created|
| 1 Jobs filled by current employees|| 3 New graduates hired|
| 11% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|