What Employees Say
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People care about each other here.
I can be myself around here.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
What They Do
We asked Weston Distance Learning, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
For over 35 years, Weston Distance learning has provided quality, accredited training from vocational certificates to associate degrees through distance education.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.westondistancelearning.com/|| Industry: Education & Training|
| US Headquarters: Fort Collins, Colorado|| US Sites: 1|
| US Employees: 94|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1981|
Perks and Programs
We asked Weston Distance Learning, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Go Program: The purpose of the GO Program (Get Oriented) is to help all employees understand how our different departments come together to support our mission statement by helping them gain a better understanding of how our individual positions and duties interact with others. Each department at Weston has a GO Representative. To participate, an employee contacts the GO Representative of the department he/she wants to visit. Together they set up a meeting, and the visiting employee learns about the department, meets everyone in the department and learns how the department supports Weston’s mission.
- Weston C.A.R.E.S. Employee Volunteer Program: Weston C.A.R.E.S. stands for Community | Altruism | Respect| Engagement | Support. Weston encourages employee involvement in community service and philanthropy. Our focus is on creating healthier, safer and stronger communities in which all people can enjoy living. Employees are granted eight (8) hours of paid leave per calendar year for volunteer work, and are recognized for their accomplishments as volunteers. Additionally, Weston Distance Learning, Inc. contributes financially to support this endeavor by matching total combined employee contributions up to $5,000 annually.
- Weston Wellness Warriors: Our Weston Wellness Warriors team is comprised of employees that have an interest in wellness and a desire to help plan and coordinate wellness activities throughout the year. The mission of the wellness team is to encourage and promote healthy living through company-wide initiatives that will result in happy, safe, and healthy employees. Accomplishments of the Wellness Team include placing a health vending machine in the company break room, having 2 cruiser bikes available for employees to take out for rides, and having wellness challenges such as a “Get Active” challenge, where employees compete in teams for weight loss, activity minutes and steps.
- Every Day Heroes: Weston has a peer recognition program in which employees nominate one another if they see someone going above and beyond, if someone lends them a hand, or if someone simply brightens their day. To nominate, they simply email the program coordinator. The program coordinator sends an email to the award recipient letting them know they received an award. Then every 2 weeks, the awards are sent to the entire company in an email.
- Halloween Contests: We like to go all out for Halloween and have some fun. It’s a tradition here at Weston that departments or any team of employees decorate and dress up for Halloween on a theme of their choosing. Competition has gotten serious over the years, so much so that departments start planning their theme months in advance. On Halloween, employees vote for the best team. One past winner includes the Wizard of Oz, where our Student Service department created a “yellow brick road” out of painted cardboard and placed it throughout the hallways of our building. They hung a giant rainbow above their cubicles and each person dressed as a character from Wizard of Oz. The winning team gets a pizza party.
- BBQs: We love our BBQs here at Weston! We typically have two per year where we take an afternoon off and grill up some burgers and dogs, or have our local BBQ restaurant cater. The Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream cart will stop by and serve up ice cream for dessert. We also plan a corn-hole tournament (bean bag toss game), where employees partner up and our IT Director schedules the tournament. Our BBQs are a time to relax, have fun and mingle with coworkers.
- Quarterly Communications Meetings: On a quarterly basis, all employees are invited to attend a company-wide meeting where breakfast is served. During the meeting company announcements are made, a company update is given, anniversaries are celebrated and new hires are introduced.
- Weston Olympics: Coinciding with the Olympic Games, Weston held its own version of the Olympics in August of 2016. Employees competed in 18 events including Nerf "archery", office chair "rowing," conference room "volleyball", tennis (Wii version), and "golf" using hockey sticks and tennis balls around the office. The Weston Olympics were complete with an opening and closing ceremony and winners received medals to keep.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|82% Company-paid health coverage for employees (Full Time Employees)|| 59% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| $1,000 College Tuition Reimbursement|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 20 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 5 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (43% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (20% use it)
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Mental health care
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $750 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Weston Distance Learning, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We hire people who have a passion for helping others. Key characteristics include a friendly attitude, being a team-player, respectful of others and the ability to be flexible in adapting to change.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Take the time to learn about our company before interviewing with us and just be yourself.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We'll be hiring on additional faculty and admissions team members in the coming year.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
We post our open positions on our website at www.westondistancelearning.com. Applicants can apply on the website. Our application form is short and easy to fill out.
| 20 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 25 Average applicants per opening|
| 450 Applications received|| 19 Positions filled in past year|
| 21% New hires by employee referrals|| 1 New positions created|
| 11 Jobs filled by current employees|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|
| 26% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 34% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|