What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I can be myself around here.
What They Do
We asked Verisk Analytics to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Verisk Analytics (Nasdaq:VRSK) provides data, analytics, and decision support services to insurance, natural resources, and financial services markets globally. We’re a member of the S&P 500, delivering innovative solutions to customers to make better decisions about risk, investments, and operations.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.verisk.com/|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Jersey City, New Jersey, 07310|| US Sites: 40|
| Major Locations: Carlsbad-GreyHawk, California, 92010; San Francisco, California, 94111; Boston, Massachusetts, 02116; Lexington, Massachusetts, 02421; North Reading, Massachusetts, 01864; Chicago, Illinois, 60661; White Plains, New York, 10601; Beachwood, Ohio, 44122; Houston, Texas, 77057; Lehi, Utah, 84043|| US Employees: 4,852|
| US Revenues: $1,500 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $2,000 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 6,650|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: VRSK|| Founded: 1971|
Perks and Programs
We asked Verisk Analytics to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Verisk Citizenship Award: Verisk’s most prestigious award, the Verisk Citizenship Award, recognizes exceptional individuals who espouse Verisk’s core values—respect for the individual, integrity, passion, persistence, confidence/humility, excellence, and teamwork—to positively impact Verisk and local communities. Any Verisk employee can submit a nomination. In 2017, six employees became Verisk Citizenship Award winners. Their community and outside work included collecting goods for earthquake victims in Ecuador; sharing expertise with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services; and cofounding Grace’s Kitchen, feeding 100-plus homeless people weekly. Within Verisk, recipients led women’s diversity initiatives, initiated internal innovation contests, and designed cutting-edge customer strategy. Each received $5,000 in Verisk Analytics stock and recognition at an award ceremony and dinner with senior leaders.
- Verisk Volunteer Week: Across Verisk, employees participate in a company-sponsored annual Verisk Volunteer Week. During the designated week, Verisk employees are allowed eight paid hours to volunteer in charities and community events across all our locations in the United States and around the world. The week provides an outstanding way to encourage teamwork and promote workplace volunteerism and employee engagement. In 2016, employees helped in food pantries, homeless shelters, parks, schools, hospices, vegetable farms, wildlife reserves, and animal shelters. Being able to make a positive difference in our communities is shown in the 2017 engagement survey to have a high impact on engagement (67%).
- Verisk Stewards Program: The Verisk Stewards program is a product of the Verisk Leadership Institute’s Leadership Excellence Program (LEP)—a program in partnership with Harvard Corporate Learning and the University of Virginia. Upon completing the ten-month intensive LEP, graduates apply to become Stewards. A committee that includes our CEO and Verisk senior leadership selects the Stewards. More than 95% of LEP participants have become Stewards. They’re actively engaged in projects to role-model leadership and innovation, mentor current LEP participants, and promote positive culture change. Stewards have high visibility and influence throughout Verisk and are committed to helping the company achieve its goals. Over a two-year period and following the program, participants’ turnover rate is 21% versus the companywide turnover rate of 28%.
- Rotation and Internship Programs: Our Rotation and Internship programs help Verisk attract, grow, and retain talent. From 2016 to 2017, a combined total of 72 participants were involved in these programs; 36% are women and 26% are minorities. The Data Science Excellence Program employs master of data science graduates biannually. Participants rotate across our businesses and receive mentoring and specialized learning opportunities. We collaborate with Year Up and Path Forward to offer meaningful internship programs. Year Up gives low-income young adults the opportunity to work in our corporate environment and receive individual career mentoring. Path Forward interns are at-home caregivers reentering the workforce. They can develop their skills and network with their colleagues. Upon completion of these programs, employees may be offered full-time positions.
- Global Diversity & Inclusion: Verisk’s global diversity and inclusion initiatives reinforce inclusiveness and belonging. Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) include the Women’s Network and Pride Network (to support our LGBT+ community); both are employee-led grassroots efforts. ERGs are built on the 4Cs model—Career, Community, Culture, and Commerce—aligned with our business values and employee needs. Our Pride Network has contributed to fostering our culture of transparency. One employee was inspired to share publicly that she’s transitioning from male to female and received tremendous support from employees throughout the organization. Verisk partners with Diversity Best Practices, Out Leadership, and Working Mother Media to advance our diversity initiatives.
- Innovation Teams: Innovation happens at all levels—in technology, business and management, and internal processes. Our innovation teams support Verisk strategy to develop first-to-market innovations in partnership with our customers, facilitate new thinking, and remove the typical hurdles to entrepreneurship. We provide resources, technical and business expertise, data, and access to senior leadership to anyone with a new idea to experiment and conduct proofs of concept. Leadership uses the results to adopt breakout solutions. Examples of innovations that have proven successful include using artificial intelligence for processing aerial imagery to extract building characteristics, using machine learning to automate processing of news and web-based information for developing political risk scores, and using computer vision to detect fraud in image-based claims pipelines.
- Individual Engagement Matrix: Verisk measures and responds to engagement individually and collectively. A significant part of Verisk’s performance management process is providing meaningful feedback to employees. We developed an Engagement Matrix tool to encourage discussions between employees and managers throughout the year—supporting our core values of teamwork and excellence. Employees use the matrix to rank what’s important and rate their satisfaction. The matrix indicates any discrepancies between what’s most important to the employee and how satisfied he or she is in a specific area.
- CEO's Blog: Verisk’s chairman, president, and chief executive officer, Scott Stephenson, publishes an internal employee blog post about twice a month on the company’s intranet. The forum allows for unlimited and uncensored employee comments that Scott answers publicly in the blog. Topics covered have included fair pay and gender, operating priorities, leadership, and company strategy. With more than 15,000 page views, 100-plus employee comments, and nearly 400 likes in 2017 alone, the blog has resulted in increased employee engagement (up 3%) and corporate transparency.
- Workspace Modernization: Many Verisk locations have transformed work spaces to reflect an open, modern layout. These redesigns contribute to the physical and mental health of employees, improving productivity, engagement, comfort, and healthier behaviors. Employees enjoy state-of-the-art gyms, collaboration spaces, standing desks, and quiet spaces. The new layouts encourage teamwork and communication, increasing creativity, innovation, and individualism; quiet spaces accommodate diverse work styles. Employees take advantage of office spaces designed to meet specific needs, such as dimmer lighting/darkened windows. Additionally, Verisk transferred its core IT operations to two LEED-certified (Gold) facilities in New Jersey and Utah. The net decrease in consumption of purchased electricity and chilled water associated with both facilities was 9.2%, or 132.3 metric tons of carbon and carbon-equivalents.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 75% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||70% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Those employees earning less than $125,000 receive a greater subsidy)|
| 70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Those employees earning less than $125,000 receive a greater subsidy)|| 50% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 20 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $10,000 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
| $42,000 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 33 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 19 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 33 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 17 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (95% use it)
- Telecommute option (92% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (10% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (95% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (Free snacks,
susidized lunch on a regular basis,
on-site package/mailing service,
discount ticket sales,
weight watchers meetings,
free dry cleaning delivery service,
subsidized public transportation,
ice cream, and smoothie days)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||10 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
|10 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $950,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| $300,000 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|| Senior VP, Corporate Social Responsibility Leads environmental impact team|
| Third-Party Conducted Environmental impact audit|| 4 LEED certified building(s)|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Carbon offset program|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees; Employees reentering the workforce
- 4 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Verisk Analytics for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
In addition to technical skills, we look for individuals with vision, who are able to maximize business impact by identifying tangible realistic solutions for clients. These individuals provide delivery excellence, collaborate and communicate effectively, and anticipate and resolve issues by demonstrating the ability to be comfortable with complexity and ambiguity. The prospective employee should be able to develop trust-based relationships and develop self and others.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees who are able to focus on customers; demonstrate innovation; act with a data analytics mindset and assume accountability; and value integrity, passion, persistence, and excellence should apply.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We're hiring trailblazers who envision new data analytics methodologies across industries worldwide and those who support that work.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Social career sites such as LinkedIn, Glassdoor, and Muse contain a multitude of information. Visit http://www.verisk.com/careers.html to join our talent network.
| 500 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 4% Job Growth|
| 35 Average applicants per opening|| 50,490 Total job applicants|
| 10% New hires by employee referrals|| 8% Openings filled by current employees|
| 92 Recent graduates hired|| 17% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 49% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|