What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I feel I make a difference here.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked Verisk Analytics to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Verisk Analytics (Nasdaq:VRSK) is a leading data analytics provider serving customers in insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services globally. We’re a member of the S&P 500®, delivering innovative solutions to make better decisions about risk, investments, and operations.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.verisk.com/|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Jersey City, New Jersey, 07310|| US Sites: 60|
| Major Locations: Lehi, Utah, 84043; Boston, Massachusetts, 02116; White Plains, New York, 10601; Houston, Texas, 77057; Carlsbad, California, 92009; North Reading, Massachusetts, 01864; Boston, Massachusetts, 02111; Bellevue, Washington, 98004; Lexington, Massachusetts, 02421; Beachwood, Ohio, 44122|| US Employees: 5,485|
| US Revenues: $1,679.7 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $2,145.2 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 7,989|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: VRSK|| Founded: 1971|
Perks and Programs
We asked Verisk Analytics to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Reimagine Day: Reimagine Day is an opportunity for our CEO, Scott Stephenson, and leaders of Verisk’s Stewards community to consider new opportunities for the future of Verisk. Stewards across the company can take any day during a designated week in July to reimagine our market space, our operations, or both and how to make them more productive. The goal is to create disruptive innovations across product, technology, and economic areas. While each of these days is filled with brainstorming and research, it’s also a time when teams get together to network and have fun. In one example from this past year, one team took a two-day road trip to have conversations with, and gather data from, more than 35 customers.
- Verisk Way to Go: Verisk is committed to investing in the things that matter to our company, colleagues, and community. This year, the company has doubled funding for the Verisk Way to Go awards, increasing the program to $1 million. This spot-award program is designed for managers to recognize and reward employees for outstanding contributions, exceptional efforts, or distinguished accomplishments. Part of that is modeling the three elements of The Verisk Wayä: serve—exceed the expectations of our customers, both external and internal; add value—improve quality, productivity, and timeliness; and innovate—improve our solutions and visualize the future. Each award can be $200 or more. Winners receive a certificate of congratulations and are featured on the company intranet. In the past 12 months, 1,070 employees received awards, with a total payout of more than $414,217.
- Lean Six Sigma Program: The Lean Six Sigma (LSS) program is a valuable tool for Verisk that improves the internal and external customer experience and increases productivity. Since the program’s inception, it has concentrated not only on practical execution with measurable results but also on enhancing our employees’ skills through training and experience. The program is an investment in our people, company, and customers—and it’s an investment that’s growing. To date, 30% of our colleagues have participated in the initial LSS Yellow Belt Awareness Course, and 20% have obtained Yellow Belt Certification. We do this because implementing data-driven Lean Six Sigma processes complements our skilled people—leaders in data and analytics—and our world-class products and services.
- Product Champion Program: Creating value for our customers and helping them stay competitive are top priorities at Verisk. Through the Product Champion Program, sales team members get specialized training to quickly become experts in the products they represent, helping them coach clients on their needs. They have the opportunity to delve into industry messaging, explore product features and functions, and receive leadership assistance and feedback on their sales pitch for three or more products each month. The program not only prepares participants to deliver excellent customer service but also encourages collaboration among our product and sales teams.
- Verisk UK Sharesave Plan: Verisk has a Save As You Earn (SAYE) plan that allows employees outside the United States to purchase discounted Verisk stock as an investment in their financial future. The program was recently extended to employees in the UK, allowing local employees to participate in a tax-efficient manner approved by the UK tax authorities. Employees who choose to participate can purchase company shares at a 5% discount and may sell to access their new income three years from each plan’s grant date. Since the start of the program in 2018, average individual savings have equaled £118, and total savings have equaled £41,776.
- Family Support Services: In response to research and a proposal driven by the Verisk Women’s Network, one of our Employee Resource Groups, Verisk expanded its parental benefits offerings. The CEO and CHRO approved an increase to ten weeks of 100% paid leave to birth parents or primary caregivers upon the addition of a child to their family, with no tenure vesting. Additionally, secondary caregivers are now eligible for five weeks of 100% paid leave. The expansion demonstrates how important support and work/life balance are in the Verisk community. Verisk also offers employees access to dependent care services, including backup childcare, eldercare, and ongoing care (e.g., nannies/babysitters, pet sitters, etc.).
- Speed and Focus Mentoring: Mentoring is one of the most frequent requests we receive from our employees. When it works, it can transform their perspectives, boost their careers, and even change their lives. Our Speed and Focus Mentoring program organizes five different mentors—one per month—to provide perspective and advice on a single question or topic personally relevant to a mentee and of interest to the larger organization. In between meetings, mentees keep a chronicle or journal of how the advice for that month leads them to different decisions or approaches. Mentors are selected based on their ability to provide insight, experience, and guidance on the subject that the mentee is grappling with. Sessions are one hour each. At the end of the program, Human Resource business partners or Learning and Development professionals discuss what was learned and how the mentee wants to use the experience in his or her own leadership moving forward.
- Verisk Citizenship Awards: The Verisk Citizenship Awards are an opportunity to recognize and reward Verisk employees who go above and beyond. Each year, employees nominate those individuals who embody Verisk’s core values—respect for the individual, integrity, passion, persistence, confidence/humility, excellence, and teamwork—and positively impact Verisk and local communities. In 2018, more than 100 employees were nominated. Each of those 100-plus stories was wonderful, making it difficult to select the seven winners. Some of their significant contributions included promoting STEM education, working to bring about societal change in the Middle East, and providing new learning materials for children. Each received $5,000 in Verisk Analytics stock and recognition at an award ceremony and dinner with senior leaders.
- Disaster Relief Program: The Verisk Disaster Relief Program was created to assist employees affected by natural disasters. In 2017, more than 30 Verisk employees sustained losses to their homes and private property in Texas and Florida from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. In response, affected employees took advantage of the disaster relief program, which provided broad-scale, interest-free loans up to $10,000. Feedback from employees who have participated in the program noted that it made a significant impact and helped to alleviate some of the stress at an incredibly challenging time. The aid they received wasn’t just financial; it was emotional support as well, with an overwhelming outpouring of assistance from their colleagues.
- Girl Stats Program: In 2016, Verisk launched Girl Stats, a platform hosting the world’s most comprehensive data sets on more than 50 global development issues affecting adolescent girls and young women. The platform helps companies identify where to target corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives that can improve the lives of young women globally. Girl Stats is the first tool of its kind that enables companies to better understand key development factors that allow girls to reach their full potential, including education, health and well-being, legal status, and employment. This intelligence gives businesses vital information to help make informed, responsible investment, lending, and procurement decisions that can empower adolescent girls and young women in markets across the world. In 2018, Verisk launched Girl Stats as a registered charitable incorporated organization in the United Kingdom. Verisk and its employees also provide ongoing support for Girl Stats through charitable donations.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 88% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||70% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 50% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 20 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $2,833 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 33 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 21 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 33 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 21 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (95% use it)
- Telecommute option (95% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (10% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (free snacks and beverages,
on-site package/mailing service,
discount ticket sales,
Weight Watchers meetings,
free dry cleaning delivery service,
subsidized public transportation and parking,
ice cream and smoothie days)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|85 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||10 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||25 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||85 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
|50 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $884,844 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| $443,550 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|| Verisk's Senior Vice President, Corporate Social Responsibility Leads environmental impact team|
| Third-Party Conducted Environmental impact audit|| 6 LEED certified building(s)|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Carbon offset program|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Global Director, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging oversees diversity and inclusion practices
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees; Employees reentering the workforce
- 4 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Verisk Analytics for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
In addition to technical skills, we look for individuals with vision, who are able to maximize business impact by identifying tangible realistic solutions for clients. These individuals deliver excellence, collaborate and communicate effectively, and anticipate and resolve issues by demonstrating the ability to be comfortable with complexity and ambiguity. The prospective employee should be able to develop trust-based relationships and develop self and others.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees who are able to focus on customers; demonstrate innovation; act with a data analytics mindset and assume accountability; and value integrity, passion, persistence, and excellence should apply.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We're hiring people who envision new data analytics methodologies across industries worldwide and those who support that work.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Social career sites such as LinkedIn and Glassdoor, contain a multitude of information. Visit http://www.verisk.com/careers.html to join our talent network.
| 600 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 13% Job Growth|
| 11 Average applicants per opening|| 13,281 Total job applicants|
| 3% New hires by employee referrals|| 13% Openings filled by current employees|
| 31 Recent graduates hired|| 8% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 42% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|