What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
We have special and unique benefits here.
People celebrate special events around here.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
What They Do
We asked ULTIMATE SOFTWARE to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We provide cloud-based human capital management solutions, including HR, payroll, talent, and time and labor management, to businesses, connecting people with the information they need to work more effectively. We support approximately 30 million people records in our cloud.
About this Company
<table > Website: www.ultimatesoftware.com Industry:
Information Technology US Headquarters:
WESTON, Florida US Sites:
23 Major Locations:
WESTON, Florida; ATLANTA, Georgia; SANTA ANA, California; PHOENIX, Arizona; CHICAGO, Illinois US Employees:
3,126 US Revenues:
$618.1 million Worldwide Revenues:
$618.1 million Employees Worldwide:
3,126 Corporate Structure:
Public Stock Symbol:
Perks and Programs
We asked ULTIMATE SOFTWARE to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- 100% Employer-Paid Medical Coverage: For both employees and their family members, Ultimate Software pays 100% of the premium for healthcare (PPO), prescription, dental, and vision coverage. Same-sex employees and their spouses enjoy this coverage as well, as do part-time employees who work an average of 30 hours per week for 9 months.
- 40% 401(k)-Match - No Cap: Ultimate Software matches employee contributions to the 401(k) plan at 40% with no cap on the matching amount (unlike some companies that, for example, may match at 50% but limit the match to the first 4% of the employee’s salary, making the match effectively 2%). Ultimate also makes this match every pay period for UltiPeeps rather than waiting until the year's end.
- 100% Equity Participation: Ultimate Software makes all of its employees owners by awarding all new hires restricted stock units (RSUs) when they join the company. Throughout their careers at Ultimate, UltiPeeps continue to receive additional RSU awards, based upon their performance. This benefit is significant since Ultimate’s share price is up well over 1000% since the end of 2008, trading as high as $222 in July 2016.
- 2-Day, Expenses-Paid New-Hire Orientation: Ultimate Software pays for all new employees quarterly to be flown to Weston, Florida, for a 2-day new-hire orientation. After hearing formal presentations, new hires have an opportunity to personally meet CEO Scott Scherr, CPO Vivian Maza, and other executives in casual venues like the barbecue lunch at headquarters and Italian dinner at Capriccio’s, the restaurant where Ultimate has had countless festive company gatherings since its founding 25 years ago. While at headquarters, CPO Vivian treats new hires to a tour of the company that includes a visit to CEO Scott’s office, where he loves to chat about Ultimate’s history and the many memorabilia from UltiPeeps displayed on his walls. All this follows their online Welcome through UltiPro Onboarding, assigned mentors, training, and department orientations.
- No Employment or Non-Compete Agreements: Since Ultimate Software was founded in 1990, our CEO Scott Scherr has wanted only those employees who have a true desire to be with the company. For that reason, he’s never used employment or non-compete agreements to prevent employees from leaving. People stay with Ultimate because they want to be there. They stay because it’s a unique environment of trust, innovation, and collaboration. They grow with the company—building competencies, careers, and long-term relationships. They stay because they love the family-like culture. That’s why today, Ultimate has a very-high-for-the-technology-industry employee-retention rate of 93%.
- Company-Sponsored Trips to Luxury Locations: A unique characteristic of Ultimate’s reward trips for employees is the fact that people in all departments earn them—not just Sales people. All departments have reward trips that serve as a thank you for achievement of goals. Ultimate pays all of the major expenses and frequently includes UltiPeeps’ family members or significant others. Typical trip destinations are Disney World or Universal in Orlando, Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas, and a Ritz or St. Regis hotel in a variety of locations.
- $300 Per Child, Per Year for Extracurricular Event: Ultimate gives each employee $300 per child per year to spend for their dependent child to participate in a team or extracurricular event of their choice. No matter how many children an employee has. There is no limit to the number of dependent children covered. UltiPeep parents are all grateful, but those with 4 or 5 or more children to support are especially grateful to have the money for baseball uniforms, horseback or dance lessons, entry fees for golf or tennis competitions, and other types of extracurricular events that encourage the rounded development of their children.
- UltiHome: Site for Personal & Professional Sharing: Ultimate has a website, called UltiHome, dedicated to employee interests, both personal and professional. UltiPeeps proactively communicate with one another, and share their own topics, images, and interests with the entire UltiPeep community. In addition to UltiPeep News, Health & Wellness, and Upcoming Events, there is an UltiBuzz space where UltiPeeps ask for feedback on topics such as favorite restaurants in particular cities, bachelorette-party ideas, daycare services, and guitar teachers. In the Spaces area, UltiPeeps have formed more than 60 interest groups focused on such topics as poker, books, cars, Bible study, PC gaming, recipes, and a variety of sports. There are even groups focused on work-related topics such as usability design, “48 Hours” ideas, and our UltiPro Carrier Network.
- Generous & Fun Ways of Recognizing People: Our most prestigious honor is the MVP award, and winners are determined by our people's written nominations. MVPs receive 2 first-class airline tickets to anywhere in the world, $500 cash, and a new Rolex watch. The winner also receives a trophy, held for the year, along with having his or her picture/name honored on a Wall-of-Fame plaque. We also have fun awards like the Big Cheese, Big Kahuna, King Pin, Crème de la Crème, You Rock, and others—as well as American-Express gift cards and commemorative, custom-made patches (modeled after NASA’s patches) as extra thanks for hard work and dedication. For recognizing peers, UltiPeeps receive $50 in UltiBucks each month that they can distribute to co-workers who exceed expectations or help others with projects.
- UltiService Days: Emblematic of Ultimate’s Caring Culture: At an estimated annual value of $3.7 million, every person at Ultimate has 2 fully paid days they can contribute each year to a charity of their choice. Often, our UltiPeeps help a charity as a group, but they have the flexibility to participate as an individual or solicit co-workers to join in. Many charities Ultimate supports were selected by employees. One employee lost her father to a drunk driver in 2009, and she has since spearheaded Ultimate’s participation in MADD. In 2016, for the 6th year, Ultimate was the top fund-raising team in the nation. In addition, our team meetings routinely include a charity-oriented project, such as buying and building bicycles, assembling backpacks with school supplies, or collecting shoes for needy children.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $66,100 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Tax Analyst
|| $103,100 Average salary and additional cash compensation for System Consultant
| 40% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 100% of an employee's salary
||100% Company-paid health coverage for employees
| 100% Company-paid health coverage for dependents
|| 100% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance
|| $3,737 College Tuition Reimbursement
- Restricted stock units to employees
- Pre-tax savings account
- Long-term care insurance to employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- On-site package/mailing service
- Discount ticket sales
- Car wash
- Personal travel service
- Free beverages during the day
- Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
- Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
- Massage therapy
- Fitness classes
- Weight watchers meetings
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 15 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (10% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (15% use it)
- Telecommute option (50% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|50 days Job-protected maternity leave
||50 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)
|50 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take
||20 days Job-protected paternity leave
|20 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)
||20 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take
|20 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents
||20 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- On-site or near-site backup childcare center
- Elder care resources
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 16 hours Paid time off to volunteer
|| $1,700,000 Philanthropic donations in last year
- Formal programs support professional development for: Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees
- 2 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender reassignment surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked ULTIMATE SOFTWARE for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
In addition to focusing on people with verifiable competencies, we look for people who are innately intelligent, have a can-do attitude when facing challenging work, are unusually interested in innovation, and are team-oriented people who thrive on collaboration. Our UltiPeeps often say that the strongest positive of working at Ultimate Software is the opportunity to work with "the best of the best" people in their fields every day. Candidates for Ultimate’s open positions interview with both managers and peers, who typically assess them on: role-related knowledge and experience, strategic thinking, team-player attitude, long-term mindset, growth potential, and “fit” with Ultimate's "People First" culture, a culture based on trust and respect for all. See more detail on our culture and process at http://www.ultimatesoftware.com/Ultimate-Company-Culture .
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Candidates can win our attention by showing how they align with our "People First" culture and the human capital management (HCM) work we do. To learn more about our values and business, they can visit us on our corporate site (ultimatesoftware.com) and they can find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and other social sites. These sites are often doorways to developing relationships with our people. When submitting a résumé online, applicants can get our attention by stating their career goals clearly, explaining how they expect to contribute to Ultimate's success, and listing factual examples of accomplishments and competencies. Another tip is to be persistent. One person, who is now an UltiPeep, applied for three different positions in succession before finding the perfect fit. For more information on careers at Ultimate, visit www.ultimatesoftware.com/careers-at-ultimate .
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always looking for exceptionally talented engineers and people with strong experience in service-oriented positions, such as activation/implementation consultants and customer support specialists.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our careers page and contact us from there: www.ultimatesoftware.com/careers-at-ultimate
| 840 Job openings forecast for coming year
|| 23% Job Growth
| 62 Average applicants per opening
|| 59,820 Applications received
| 1,012 Positions filled in past year
|| 46% New hires by employee referrals
| 850 New positions created
|| Yes Recruits on college campuses
| 4% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees
|| 11% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees