Error

Twitter employees work hard, but with a fitness program, generous time off and weekly happy hours, most are happy to put in the time and feel deeply invested in their work.

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 1073 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.33. It was published on Sep 25, 2014. 20179 Visitors

What You Should Know

Twitter Inc. employees work hard, but with generous time off, weekly happy hours and onsite cafes serving healthy chef-made meals, they're happy to go the extra mile to get the job done. In Twitter's casual, friendly environment, employees respect their managers' honesty and integrity, and people are deeply proud of what they do. Those who don't buy into Twitter's mission might be at sea, but for people who enjoy teamwork in a creative setting, this might be a good fit. "We really feel we are changing the world 140 characters at a time," one employee says. "We have pride in building a tool that can reach every person on the planet."

WHAT THEY DO

Twitter is a global online information network that allows users to share content and conversations in real time. Twitter has more than 215 million monthly active users, creating approximately 500 million Tweets every day. 

Website: twitter.com US Headquarters: San Francisco, California
US Sites: 14 Major Locations: San Francisco; New York City, NY; Cambridge, MA; Boulder, CO; Seattle, WA
Stock Symbol: TWTR US Employees: 2730
Worldwide revenues: $664.89 million Employees worldwide: 501
Founded: 2006 Industry: Information Technology

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Twitter, 87 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 10 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Twitter has approximately 2,730 employees in the United States, where they operate 14 offices. 

Most employees (94 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and the vast majority (91 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For most employees (88 percent), their work at Twitter is more than just a job: The chance to provide a forum for communication around the world creates special meaning.

At Twitter, 86 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Twitter, 80 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within a few percentage points of what one can typically expect even at the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 42 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 42 hours
  • Employees have access to a variety of development courses such as improv (to help them think creatively and respond on the fly) and English as a second language, as well as guest lecturers, coaching and more technical training through Twitter University. 
Every person is able to make big impact on the company. It's a place that can develop yourself and the company at the same time.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Twitter, 87 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 9 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • Employees look forward to FlyDay happy hours every Friday at 5 p.m., monthly offsites such as wine tasting or bowling, a family Halloween party complete with a competitive costume contest and a "Global Tea Time" -- the name of the company all hands meeting -- every other Thursday for catching up on company news. 

Caring and Support

  • Employees with a parent, parent-in-law or sibling who does not have access to employer-sponsored medical coverage or Medicare can enroll that person in Twitter's medical plan and the company pays the same portion of the cost of coverage that it would for a spouse or domestic partner.
  • New mothers who give birth get 20 weeks of maternity leave at 100 percent pay; new mothers who don't give birth and new fathers are eligible for up to 10 weeks of paid leave. 
People celebrate special events around here.
92%
 
The culture at Twitter is amazing. I'm constantly inspired by the people around me, and the intelligence and passion in every person I meet.

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Twitter, 85 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 11 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

Twitter is an easy place to commit time and energy because the rewards of the business and product are immediate and aligned to clear company goals. 

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

100% Company-paid health coverage for employees 60% Company-paid health coverage for dependents

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Employee stock purchase plan

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Free snacks during the day
  • Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Subsidized public transportation
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Lactation rooms
  • Elder care resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
94%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
81%
 
I think that we put high value on work-life balance and offer benefits that demonstrate this with an open PTO policy, generous maternity leave, a thoughtful paternity leave and great health and wellness benefits. 

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments

ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS

  • Flu shots
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships
  • Fitness center

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Twitter, 92 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 6 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Twitter provides an uncensored platform for discovery, self-expression and human connection. Twitter users have brought global attention to human rights issues, used the platform to locate birth parents and shared millions of fun photos, messages and content. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
96%
 
Working at Twitter has given me a sense of pride I have not felt at other top publishers and media companies. They hire the brightest and the best here and it's enjoyable to come to work every day and surround yourself with and learn from these people. 

Supporting the Community

  • At least twice a year, employees in every Twitter office support local communities by volunteering at area schools and local nonprofits such as Meals on Wheels and the Boys and Girls Club, in an event known as #FridayForGood. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
91%
 
Amongst the plethora of amazing free food, there's a food station called Food For Good which is donation-based and donates the proceeds into the community. 

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Twitter, 87 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 10 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Despite the fact that Twitter operates 14 offices nationwide and some employees within those offices telecommute, most feel they have access to the information they need. Most (88 percent) say management keeps them informed about important issues and changes, while 87 percent say management genuinely seeks and responds to suggestions and ideas. In fact, 92 percent of employees say management is approachable and easy to talk with. 

The company has been very transparent to its employees, things like important business decisions, internal communication or change of operations are often communicated early and efficiently.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Twitter, 79 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 15 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Twitter employees widely appreciate the dedication and accountability their leaders encourage at the company, while maintaining a fun, casual vibe. They also have confidence in the way the top brass runs the business, and are especially impressed by their honesty and integrity. A majority (89 percent) of employees say management is competent at running the business, while 87 percent say management's actions match its words. Nearly all (96 percent) say management is honest and ethical in its business practices. 

I really appreciate Dick Costolo, our CEO. He takes time to communicate with the employees. He will answer questions directed to him and admits when he's made a mistake. He is a great leader, often joining with employees to solve difficult problems.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Onsite Cafés: Employees enjoy free meals at onsite cafés. At offices that aren't large enough to have an onsite cafe, employees order free meals delivered onsite through services such as Seamless. Kitchenettes and break rooms provide snacks and beverages in between meals including on-tap kombucha, infused waters and New Orleans-style iced coffee. 
  • Fitness Program: Through Twitter's fitness program, FitterTwitter, employees at headquarters have access to a full-service gym that offers group exercise and yoga classes, personal fitness instructors and massage therapists. All employees regardless of location are eligible for a fitness reimbursement of up to $100 per month, to pay for outside health club memberships, a nutritionist and personal training. 
  • Onsite Conveniences: Employees at most U.S. offices have added conveniences like dry cleaning/laundry pick-up, subsidized parking and membership to a city bike-sharing program. A few offices have geo-specific perks like the company ski pass for the Boulder, Colorado office or $10 “manicubes” (onsite manicures) in the New York office. 
  • Non-Accrual Time Off for Exempt Employees: Exempt employees have the flexibility to take as much vacation time as they need it, when they need it, provided they coordinate with their manager and teammates. 
  • Hackweek: During Hackweek, employees can work on any Twitter-related project they want and demo their ideas on Friday. Employees post ideas for Hackweek projects on the company intranet and invite others to join their team. The best projects, as voted on by employees, are recognized at a Global Tea Time at the end of the day.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Twitter employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"We're working in small teams. And each team is accountable for several highly important aspects of the business. It gives a great feel of ownership and ability to make a difference."

"Amazing perks including free breakfast, lunch and dinner that is comparable to a five-star restaurant (charcuterie cabinet, pizza oven, donut machine, popcorn machine, etc.), game rooms, awesome park on the roof, CrossFit classes, subsidized gym and cell phone. Never worked anywhere near as great as this."

"Every person here can drive change, new features and product improvement. There's a strong sense of trust between everyone that we're all trying to do the right thing and if you have an idea that you think can make things better, you're empowered and given the freedom to implement it. The rigorous hiring process allows managers to be very hands-off and instill a sense of trust in the employees. Some of the best product/decisions come from non-management layers instead of getting stonewalled in complex/unnecessary middle management battles. This allows for agility and quick feature turnaround like I've never seen at any other place I've worked."

"The company culture here is just really fantastic. I love how open and approachable everyone is, and how my input is valued even when I'm adding my opinion on something unrelated to my work. The first day I walked in the door, the CEO sat down with the new hires and just told us everything big that was happening, all of our future plans, his vision for the company, our cool unannounced projects, etc. It's very open and very trusting."

"The combination of world-class technical excellence combined with an honest sense of modesty. My co-workers are at the same time the smartest and most humble I have ever worked with. This is an all-too-rare combination in the Bay Area technology industry. People generally do not bring ego to the table when trying to solve hard problems, but rather approach disagreements or misunderstandings as a shared problem to be collaboratively solved."

"Between celebrities coming into work on a regular basis, the relaxed vacation policy and the genuine friendship I have with co-workers is unlike anything I've experienced before. I work my ass off and get a lot done, but the ability to take breaks in the game room, or take the day off when necessary, provides for a really relaxed while upbeat work environment. My co-workers pass on awesome opportunities to me, and I've had an opportunity to meet people that I would only dream of meeting."

"Unlimited vacation time. The bars/canteens and entertainment/game rooms. I can work and watch sports or major events. I can work from home, take days off at last minute and just generally I'm trusted to be an adult and get my work done. As long as I do that, I have the freedom to balance life and work very well."

"It's no surprise that our company has tons of smart people ... But what makes me really appreciate is the fact that many of those smart people are also very likable, including ... people at senior management and executive levels. They often carry some of these characters if not all: humble, honest, positive and low-key. They are the evidence that you don't have to be an asshole to be successful. This is one of the things that make this company a great place to work."

"Over time, I have found that I consider some of my co-workers as family. Most of the people I have met at Twitter have been extremely friendly and have helped me grow to be the person I am today. In general, I think Twitter is also one of the most transparent and open tech environments, as we have tea times every couple weeks to inform employees about Twitter's short-term and long-term goals."

"I think what's unique about this company is that we know that everything we do here is having an impact. We're opening speech around the world and there is a conscious effort here not just to make money, but to leave our footprint on the entire world to ensure that we're bridging communication. When I remind myself that I work at Twitter it makes me proud to think that we have a stated goal of being the world's real-time public town square, which is a beautiful thing in a world where we are growing increasingly detached."

"Twitter is structured to allow the individual to shine. Each team and each individual is continually empowered and given the resources to do their best, with no limit on their impact or creativity. Management seldom provides top-down instructions, instead existing more to facilitate communication, remove blockers and provide career counseling. This is embodied by the quarterly Twitter 'hackweek,' where individuals and teams spend a week working on new and bold test projects that help to define the future of the product."

"The culture, benefits and work environment is great but one of the most special aspects is that we all feel dedicated to improve the product (Twitter) on behalf of our users and those who will eventually use us. I am motivated by the idea that if we deliver on making Twitter better the entire world will benefit. I think that's a unique quality I doubt I could find elsewhere."

How to Get Hired

We asked Twitter for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

At Twitter, we look for prospective employees whose values align with the organization, who have strong communication and leadership skills, who are flexible and humble and who have an overall passion for our product.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Prospective candidates should attend our events, be knowledgeable about Twitter if approached, tweet our recruiters and simply apply to join the flock!

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

Candidates should understand that Twitter calls for a deep understanding of technology and will be asked to demonstrate that in an interview. Candidates may get pushed beyond their technical limits during the assessment. We expect extreme thoughtfulness from candidates with their responses to any and all questions throughout the interview process. We also hire on consensus - the entire panel needs to agree if we are moving forward with a candidate.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

This year we are looking for candidates who have Scala, Java, Python, Hadoop, design and mobile experience. We are also looking for legal, media and sales professionals.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

To learn more about Twitter, prospective candidates should follow @jointheflock, read our blogs, follow our employees handles, attend our events and check out our job site.

Hiring Outlook

57%Job Growth 230Average number of applicants per opening
4%Total voluntary turnover in past year 312500Applicants in past year
1505Openings in past year 40%New hires by employee referrals

Follow Twitter

Related Companies