What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
I feel I make a difference here.
People celebrate special events around here.
What They Do
We asked Town of Vail to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
As one of the leading mountain resort communities in North America, The Town of Vail provides municipal services to ensure that Vail is not only a great place to visit, but an even better place to live.
About this Company
| Website: www.vailgov.com|| Industry: Social Services and Government Agencies|
| US Headquarters: Vail, Colorado, 81657|| US Employees: 271|
| Corporate Structure: Govt Agency|| Founded: 1966|
Perks and Programs
We asked Town of Vail to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Location & culture: Nestled up to the base of a world class ski mountain, we know that people choose to live and work in Vail for the lifestyle. Our offices and facilities have spectacular views of the mountains and have endless access to outdoor recreation. In order to make sure our employees get outside and enjoy a work- life balance, some staff members enjoy a four-day work week while others store their bikes, skis and boards at work for easy access.
- Ski Pass Benefit: A tiered benefit is offered to employees of up to $700 towards the purchase of a ski pass. Additionally, we partner with the Vail Recreation District to offer employees FREE Golf Passes (including a free bucket of balls daily at the driving range) and a FREE Nordic Skiing Pass. For the outdoor enthusiasts, these courses can't be beat and are highlighted by amazing views of the Gore Mountain Range.
- Employee Home Ownership: The goal of this program is to help employees purchase a property to help make Vail their home. Participants in the Town of Vail Employee Housing Ownership Program are eligible for up to $80,000 in assistance to purchase a property inside the Town of Vail limits. Properties outside the Town limits but within 50 miles of the Town are eligible for up to $40,000 in assistance. Loan details and eligibility are outlined in our policies.
- Professional Development: Vail prides itself in being known as the Premier International Mountain Resort Community. To ensure the future success of our community and the growth of our teams, it is important that employees continue to develop. Employees are encouraged to attend leadership courses to explore their values as well as skills’ development trainings to help them advance in their careers. Training that is directly related to work is covered 100% as the budget allows. Additional tuition reimbursement programs are available for up to $4,000 annually for those engaged in higher education.
- Lunch and Learn: The Town offers monthly programs to educate employees on their personal finances, health, environmental impact and more. These programs provide employees an opportunity to learn about topics that benefit them personally. Examples include; How to Reduce Stress, Protecting Yourself from Identify Theft, Water/Stream Health in our Community and Investment Tips to a Happy Retirement.
- Personal Health Accountability Team: At the Town of Vail we care about our employees’ health. To help employees achieve personal health goals, annually a group of employees are offered a personal metabolic test to determine employees’ optimal diet for healthy living and consultation with a nutritionist. Additionally these employees are armed with recipe books and team meetings to help them reach their personal health goals.
- Employee Rewards Programs: Employees and community members are encouraged to recognize Town of Vail employees for extraordinary actions that make someone’s day better. These stories are shared among the director team and employees are rewarded with gift cards ranging from $25 - $100. The guest service nominations are then emailed to the company for everyone to celebrate. On a smaller note, each employee is given four $10 "bonus" cards to give on the spot recognition to their co-workers for a “job well done” or creating a safe work environment.
- Sole Power: With more open space than any other community of its kind, free transit and other environmentally-sensitive services, we strive to help our employees make a positive impact. In 2016, we reimbursed employees 25 cents per commute mile as part of the Sole Power program. Sole Power is a green commuting challenge encouraging community members to choose to walk or bike instead of using their cars. Additionally, we created an employee bike library for employees to borrow during the work day for their use.
- Employee Appreciation Events: When asked, many of our employees say that working for the Town of Vail feels like an extended family. To create that sense of community, departmental and organizational events are organized to celebrate our many accomplishments. Examples include team lunches, our winter holiday party and our summer outdoor picnic with food trucks and fun games set in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. As a special tribute for the Town of Vail’s 50th birthday, we invited community members to join in recognizing more than 40 employees who have been employed by the Town for more than 20 years.
- Additional Perks: Friday Breakfast, Free Special Event Tickets, Discounted Day Care, On site parking, Free Bus Pass
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|90% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 83% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| $4,000 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 21 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 12 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Compressed work weeks (50% use it)
- Subsided On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|90 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||90 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|90 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
Community and Environmental Impact
| Sustainabilty Manager Leads environmental impact team|| Self-Conducted Environmental impact audit|
| 1 LEED certified building(s)|| Yes Sustainable commuting program|
| Yes Renewable energy program|| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Town of Vail for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
When asked, many of our employees say that working for the Town of Vail feels like family. For that reason we look for applicants who are team players and are passionate about serving the Vail community. Applicants who can clearly communicate that they are committed to excellence and are ready to take ownership of Vail’s future through innovation, hard work and providing exceptional guest service are the types of professionals that stand out.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Living in Vail is a unique opportunity to live and recreate in this spectacular Vail Valley which we call home. Prospective employees are encouraged to learn more about the community and understand how they can contribute to Vail's future. Our hiring teams want to know that applicants cannot only do the job but that they will love living here, too. Living in a resort alpine setting is not for everyone but for the right person living in the beautiful Rocky Mountains is a dream come true.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit vailgov.com/jobs for current openings and to create a profile for job notifications.
| 6% Job Growth|| 28 Average applicants per opening|
| 1,309 Total job applicants|| 6% Openings filled by current employees|
| 6% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 7% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|