What Employees Say
People celebrate special events around here.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Management has a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there.
This is a fun place to work.
What They Do
We asked Topa Insurance Company to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Topa Insurance Company is a boutique carrier, committed to strong relationships, aligned partnerships, excellent service, underwriting expertise, and quality products for our wholesale brokers, general agents and MGA’s.
About this Company
| Website: www.topa-ins.com|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: Calabasas, California, 91302|| US Sites: 1|
| US Employees: 92|| US Revenues: $87.1 million|
| Worldwide Revenues: $87.1 million|| Employees Worldwide: 118|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1984|
Perks and Programs
We asked Topa Insurance Company to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Wellness: We encourage and support wellness by providing an onsite gym and shower area, onsite yoga classes and discounts to local gyms and fitness programs through GlobalFit and a partnership with CoreYoga
- Peer recognition: Every employee receives at least two tokens annually that can be given to any other employees as peer recognition. Managers receive more that can be given out as well. These are escalating amounts of cash awards. Those receiving tokens are recognized by our company President and noted in our monthly newsletter
- Third Thursday: On the third Thursday each month we host an in house happy hour for our business partners, potential recruits and employees where we provide free food and beverages (including wine from our own Topa labeled wine)
- Volunteerism: Our team members can take a paid day off annually to volunteer at any charitable organization they choose to. As a group Topa participates as a group annually in the IICF Week of Giving where Insurance companies partner with local charitable organizations to serve in a week long series of events. In the past Topa employees have volunteered at the LA Food Bank as well as the Golden Heart Ranch
- Fun Committee: Topa management has empowered a group of employees (our Fun Committee) to come up with ideas for events on a regular basis to inspire and encourage our teams. These events range from casino events, harbor cruises, holiday themed events, costume contests. Their creativity astounds!
- Brown Bags: On a monthly basis we have Topa Brown Bag meetings. Essentially Brown Bags are opportunities for members of our Executive Team to discuss a topic of interest with our team. We bring in lunch and have it in our break room. It's optional but always well attended often packing the room to standing. We cover topics ranging from our A.M. Best rating, how underwriting works, our affiliate office in the USVI and to how to leverage our LMS to name a few.
- <p>No response has been provided, so this question will not appear in your review. If you would like to add a response now, please delete this placeholder text and replace it with your response.</p>
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $43,424 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Claims Assistant|| $56,455 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Underwriter 1|
| 6% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||90% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for NA)|
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for NA)|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 31 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 3 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
| 11 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (35% use it)
- Telecommute option (2% use it)
- Subsided On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (Fresh popped popcorn daily, yoga classes, free beverages (tea, soda, coffee, rotating chilled beverages), onsite lunches at least once a month)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $18,200 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- 1 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Topa Insurance Company for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We want to promote a workplace that values collaboration and teamwork. To that end, intelligence, adaptability, drive, engaged and empathetic employees are key to our success.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment, be open to risk taking, work well in a team environment and demonstrate a sense of accomplishment.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Claims team members to accommodate growth in new areas of revenue we are pursuing in 2017.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our Careers page at http://www.topa-ins.com/careers to learn more about our culture at Topa Insurance and see the most current job opportunities. Follow us on LinkedIn to stay current on all things Topa Insurance https://www.linkedin.com/company/topa-insurance-company?trk=top_nav_home
| 2 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 24% Job Growth|
| 58 Average applicants per opening|| 1,162 Total job applicants|
| 40% New hires by employee referrals|| 1% Openings filled by current employees|
| 4 Recent graduates hired|| 7% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|