What Employees Say
People celebrate special events around here.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
My work has special meaning: this is not "just a job".
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
What They Do
We asked The Peabody Memphis to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Our luxurious downtown Memphis hotel is legendary for its charm, elegance, gracious hospitality, and we continue to carry the distinction of the “South’s Grand Hotel”. We are a Forbes Four-Star, AAA Four-Diamond property in the heart of “the Blues City”.
About this Company
| Website: www.peabodymemphis.com|| Industry: Hospitality|
| US Headquarters: Memphis, Tennessee, 38103|| US Sites: 1|
| Major Locations: Memphis, TN, Tennessee, 38103|| US Employees: 480|
| US Revenues: $49.5 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $49.5 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1869|
Perks and Programs
We asked The Peabody Memphis to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Peabody Service Excellence: Peabody Service Excellence® is a program that creates two equally important experiences: the guest experience and the associate experience. The guest experience is one that makes the guest want to return. The associate experience is one that makes the associate want to remain employed at our company and feel valued for their contributions to the hotel's success.
- Mentor Program: T.E.A.M. (Training and Education of Associates by Mentors), is a training process that provides consistent, standardized levels of training throughout our hotel. T.E.A.M. at The Peabody Memphis is a hugely successful training program because our mentors and managers are committed to providing the highest levels of training befitting “The South’s Grand Hotel.”
- Peabody Pay and Incentives: Peabody Pay is a program where all associates are eligible to receive duck bucks valued at $10 each throughout the year from any issuing manager for exceeding expectations. At the end of the year the monies are paid out to the associate in a lump sum. There is no limit to the amount of monies that an associate can receive
- Complimentary Meal Program: Our employee cafeteria provides fruit, yogurt and other snack foods for our associates on a daily basis. Associates who work a 5-hour shift minimum also receive one complimentary meal. They can choose from a hot entree with 2 side dishes that vary each day. Beef, turkey or vegetarian burger or chicken tenders are also an option. The associates can also have a full salad bar, hot soup and assorted beverages with their meal.
- Upward Mobility: The ability for our associates to experience career growth with the company is excellent. From January to May 2016, over 11 Leaders were promoted from within. We prefer to promote from within whenever possible and it results in longevity of associates that is far beyond industry standards.
- WOW Program: WOW Program is an empowerment program which allows for all employees, regardless of position, to recognize a guest by providing a gift, pastry, card, flowers, etc. that would be appropriate for the event the guest is celebrating. This program also allows for the employee to provide a discount or complimentary food and beverage to a guest as the employee deems it appropriate.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $31,247 Average salary and additional cash compensation for servers|| 35% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary|
|75% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| $2,000 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
| $2,000 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 16 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|65 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||65 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|65 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $215,500 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
How to Get Hired
We asked The Peabody Memphis for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We are looking at perspective employees to possess the following characteristics: Integrity, dignity, and respect towards guests, owners, associates, and self.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
A prospective employee could gain our attention through professional dress and demeanor; polite and friendly attitude.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are looking for candidates that will assist us in creating an environment of trust, accountability, and ownership.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates should present a professional demeanor and having some knowledge regarding the history of the Peabody is a plus. Also, previous experience in the service industry is helpful.
| 62 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 5% Job Growth|
| 1,723 Total job applicants|| 7% New hires by employee referrals|
| 10% Openings filled by current employees|| 27 Recent graduates hired|
| 2% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 3% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|