What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People care about each other here.
I can be myself around here.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
What They Do
We asked The Michaels Companies, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
The Michaels Companies is North America's largest specialty provider of arts, crafts, custom framing, floral, wall decor, and seasonal merchandise for Makers and do-it-yourself home decorators with more than 1,200 stores in 49 states and Canada.
About this Company
| Website: www.michaels.com|| Industry: Retail|
| US Headquarters: Irving, Texas, 75063|| US Sites: 1150|
| Major Locations: Hazelton, Pennsylvania, 18202; Jacksonville, Florida, 32231; Lancaster, California, 90022; Centralia, Washington, 98531; New Lenox, Illinois, 60451; Haslet, Texas, 76177; Strongsville, Ohio, 44149; DFW Airport, Texas, 75019; Kennersville, North Carolina, 27284|| US Employees: 43,000|
| US Revenues: $4,856.3 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $5,362.0 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 48,000|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: MIK|| Founded: 1973|
Perks and Programs
We asked The Michaels Companies, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Team Member Discount: All Team Members receive a 30% discount at Michaels stores and a 20% discount at Pat Catan’s Stores on regular and sale-priced merchandise. Team Member and immediate household members receive 65% off custom framing, as well as free classes at all Michaels stores.
- Michaels Cares: Founded in 2007, Michaels Cares is a Team Member-funded charity serving our fellow Team Members in times of greatest need. Michaels Cares is there for Team Members facing unforeseen financial challenges from illness, injury, damage to home, death in the family or other serious issues. Team Members support Michaels Cares through payroll deductions and a variety of internal fundraising activities, including bake sales, costume contests and talent shows. Through the generous donations of our Team Members, we have helped hundreds of our fellow Team Members in crisis with grants totaling over $1.5 million.
- Next Big Item: The world moves quickly, and we aren't looking just to keep up. We strive to think bigger, have the best ideas, move faster and work smarter. We encourage our Team Members to submit “hot product” ideas. We offer prizes for new idea that generate sales of $1 million, $5 million, or $10 million or higher in Michaels Stores. In addition, each quarter we pick five random winners, each of whom receives a $100 gift card.
- Fuel for Growth: We think great work and innovative thinking should be rewarded, and we encourage our Team Members to think creatively and submit ideas that will save money or simplify a process. Every year we recognize Team Members who submit cost-saving ideas, large and small, that we have implemented in our stores and Support Center and reward them financially. Each idea that is submitted is vetted, and ideas with big payoffs are eligible for a bonus of up to $5,000. To encourage submissions, every Team Member who submits an idea is automatically eligible for a quarterly gift card drawing.
- Spirit Activities that bring the Brand to Life: Among our core values are Having Fun and Making People Happy, and our mission is to make creativity happen. To bring this to life, we love hosting spirit activities for our Team Members. Here are some of our favorite Team Member activities: • Cookouts, food trucks, pizza parties – as reward or team activity, at any site anytime • Thanksgiving pot lucks in stores • Halloween costume contests • Michaels Market and Silent auctions to sell crafts made by Team Members • Scratch Cards with prizes and kudos • Recognition cards • Make-Breaks • Merchandise sample sales • Pumpkin carving/decoration contests • Wellness challenges promoting fitness and engagement
- We Love our Team Care Packages: Our store teams work hard to serve our customers, especially during the busy holiday season. To show our appreciation for their efforts, we assemble and send “We Love Our Team” care packages to every store, chock full of delicious and/or fun goodies. We send everything from Michaels swag to candy to Santa hats. It’s our way of showing support for our team when they are at their busiest.
- Compass: Compass is a free resource to all Michaels Team Members who are enrolled in a Michaels medical plan to help find a local doctor or to assist in choosing a medical plan, comparing medical costs and understanding medical bills. This helpful tool eliminates the healthcare hassle. Compass also helps Team Members book appointments, review and audit medical bills, and learn about other benefits.
- Perks at Work: One of our core values is Spend Smart. We offer a wide variety of ways for Team Members to save, including a discount at our stores, select fitness and childcare centers, and tuition reimbursement to name a few. Our Team members receive discounts at more than 30,000 merchants with savings on everything from groceries, movie tickets and clothes to electronics and more.
- Parental Benefits: Michaels offers paid maternity, paternity / partner, and adoption leave to all salaried Team Members. Team Members are eligible for up to 6 weeks of paid maternity leave and up to 2 weeks of paid paternity / partner and adoption leave. We also offer child care discounts, dependent insurance and access to discounts for vacations, entertainment and every day essentials.
- Part Time Benefits: Part-time Team Members can elect a medical reimbursement plan, and dental, vision, and life insurance. They are also eligible for the 401(k) plan, with company matching, as well as discounts at Michaels stores and other merchants.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||80% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for US full-time team members)|
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Dependents of US full-time team members)|| $2,000 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Set days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 25 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Onsite Amenities (We offer a variety of perks for our Team Members in our Support Center to encourage a healthy lifestyle, offer convenience, and create a collaborative space to grow a career. Some of these benefits include a subsidized cafeteria, on-site fuel delivery for Team Member cars, a sponsored Weight Watchers program, and free classes at all Michaels stores.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||30 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|30 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||10 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$5,000 Adoption benefit||90 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
|10 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $2,100,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Recycling program|
- SVP - Human Resources oversees diversity and inclusion practices
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Women
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked The Michaels Companies, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We are looking for people who have a mindset of constant innovation. We feel it is important that candidates exhibit our company values. Those values are: Make People Happy, Do the Right Thing, Keep It Simple, Have Fun, Give Back, Innovate and Learn, and Spend Smart. We have found that people who have a combination of these are successful at Michaels.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Demonstrate and share examples of how you have innovated and made things easier in your current or past roles. This can be done in the resume or while speaking with the recruiter/hiring manager. Connecting with recruiters/hiring managers via LinkedIn is also another great way to make your profile stand out from the other candidates.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always looking for great Team Members for our retail stores in the US and Canada. Beyond that, enhancing our omnichannel experience – creating a consistent experience in our stores and online – is a key strategic priority. This means we will continue to look for top talent within e-commerce, app development and supply chain just to name a few. We want to be innovative with the products we provide, we want an easy shopping experience, and we need people who will help us do just that!
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our career website to learn more about our culture and see what roles we are actively recruiting for today https://www.michaels.com/hr-join.html. Candidates can also follow us on Facebook or Instagram to learn more about the fun products and events happening in our stores and online.
| 42,000 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 30 Average applicants per opening|
| 445,000 Total job applicants|| 25% Openings filled by current employees|
| 22% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 75% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|