What Employees Say
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked The Focal Point LLC to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We partner with trial-lawyers to explore and test strategic issues, discover critical insights, and develop powerful trial graphics. Our winning courtroom presentations are designed to have maximum impact on the decision makers in a case, including judges, jurors, and regulators.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.thefocalpoint.com/|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Oakland, California, 94612|| US Sites: 4|
| Major Locations: Dallas, Texas, 75202; New York, New York, 10005; Chicago, Illinois, 60606|| US Employees: 26|
| US Revenues: $7.6 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $7.6 million|
| Corporate Structure: Partnership; Private|| Founded: 1989|
Perks and Programs
We asked The Focal Point LLC to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Employee participation in success: For each case brought in the door, employees receive a referral bonus. For each new hire, employees who referred the person receives $1,000. If the employee reaches their billable target and other core goals, they can receive up to 15% of their salary.
- Values beyond the workplace: TFP sets aside time each quarter for team members to volunteer within the community, such as the school libraries, food banks, and other important local causes. We also have a yearly budget dedicated to probono services to a wide variety of projects and cases across the US.
- Investment in workforce: Work/life balance is a huge part of our cultural DNA. Working from home is part of the norm as well as using flextime after working excessive hours on a case. Similarly, we offer a maximum of 30 days PTO. 75% class reimbursement, online tutorials and exercises, and in-house training are all offered. Among other competitive benefits, TFP also provides a $75 monthly commuter subsidy.
- Teamwork structure: Teams are an essential framework of our work and we are constantly thinking of how to stay connected with one another. TFP also hosts an annual team-building event for all its employees and management gives out employee recognition award gifts then.
- Management transparency: TFP has always had an open-door policy. Management shares regular updates at weekly company meetings including revenue and utilization data. In addition to these meetings, employees have
an opportunity to ask questions and gain insight at our annual State of the Union. At a minimum, employees have monthly check-ins instead of end of the year performance reviews. This year we also conducted a management feed back survey to understand how employees feel about the work styles of the management team and we now use this information to identify and address opportunities for improving management’s performance as well as staying focused on what is working really well.
- Customer focus and relationships: Client Service is one of our core values as repeat engagement is the life blood of our business. We seek to partner with our clients - working closely with them every step of the way.
- Intentionally created community: Evolving from a single office in CA to four separate offices in different US regions, it was important to look for ways to streamline our processes while still remaining in contact with one another, key to our culture. Encouraging video chats and scheduling regular remote office meetings are a result of this objective, as well as finding an online HRIS system and maintaining our Wiki as resources. Our BRAVO program allows for such peer recognition as company-paid lunches together or giving of gift cards.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 3% Average 401(k)/403b company contribution per employee||85% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 65% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 85% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $2,000 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
| $4,800 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 24 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 24 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 9 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
| 24 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 24 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (100% use it)
- Telecommute option (80% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (Regular free lunches, and breakfast treats, constant free drinks (hot and cold) in a wide variety, massages.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||30 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|30 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||30 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $2,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|| 1 LEED certified building(s)|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked The Focal Point LLC for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
At The Focal Point, we value individual initiative and encourage free thinking and innovation. We welcome individuals who are enthusiastic about building a meaningful career, and have the ability to recognize the serious nature and impact of our work while understanding the importance of collaboration. At the same time, we are looking for someone that tries not to take themselves too seriously, but strives to bring a creative spirit, passion for community service, and a little fun into their work as well. Being able to balance these sides’ makes for a great fit for TFP and the candidate.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Be proactive and detail oriented, do research on who we are and what we do. Showcase their individual expertise in their area and be detailed in their qualifications and how it applies to us. Show us their passion for their area of expertise by applying and exemplifying partnership, leadership, and an appreciation of life.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Experienced Jury Consultants and experienced Trial Consultants.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Check out our web site at www.thefocalpoint.com and send us a cover letter and resume.
| 4 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 13% Job Growth|
| 45 Average applicants per opening|| 223 Total job applicants|
| 1% New hires by employee referrals|| 2 Recent graduates hired|
| 4% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|