What Employees Say
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
What They Do
We asked SoCore Energy to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
SoCore Energy is a market leader in cooperative, utility-scale, commercial and industrial solar portfolio development. Socore combines Fortune 500 stability with entrepreneurial creativity to develop, build and operate energy solutions that our customers genuinely want and need.
About this Company
| Website: www.socoreenergy.com|| Industry: Engineering|
| US Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois|| US Sites: 3|
| Major Locations: Chicago, Illinois; Tempe, Arizona; Irvine, California|| US Employees: 77|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2008|
Perks and Programs
We asked SoCore Energy to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Humble Hungry Hero: SoCore awards bi-weekly prizes in average value of $200 to employees who are noticed by their teammates for embodying the company motto ("Humble, Hungry, Smart"). Winners are announced Monday mornings during the all-company meeting, and followed with a hearty, unsolicited round of applause.
- Team Catered Lunch: SoCore provides weekly lunch buffets and has a rotating schedule of social time, lunch and learns, and group games throughout the month. These group meals create a space for personal relationships to form and strengthen within the office walls, and allow people to interact who might not otherwise see each other all week.
- Mad Props: SoCore awards a $1,000 per month bonus using a peer-voted system, and the cash prizes at year end include $2,500, $7,500, and $15,000 for our grand winners. The system is simple: award a Mad Prop to a teammate for rocking a project or task, and the person with the most Mad Props per month (and at year end) wins the cash! Winners are announced with a note outlining how they went above and beyond to secure the prize. Year-end winners are memorialized with their name on a jersey on our Hall of Fame wall. Mad Prop's are unique to SoCore and aside from the monetary awards, they encourage our teammates to congratulate each other on a job well done.
- Team Outings: SoCore organizes a wide variety of events for employees to engage in, including team basketball and softball games, potlucks, running races, volunteer efforts, happy hours, movie days, and sports outings, where all expenses are covered.
- Year-End Awards: SoCore announces awards for various achievements annually at our company holiday party in front of family and friends. Awards include Rookie of the Year, Most Improved, Engineer of the Year, Salesperson of the Year, and The SoCore Award, and include a personalized glass trophy and/or cash.
- Zen Den (Relaxation Room): SoCore encourages team members to take a break from our high energy open concept office from time to time to visit the "Zen Den" for a little peace and quiet. Outfitted with comfy chairs, relaxed lighting, peaceful music and aromatherapy, the Zen Den offers our employees a chance to regroup and recharge before heading back to the daily grind. Just be sure to obey the "no talking" rule!
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary||62% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 62% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 62% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
- On-site package/mailing service
- Personal travel service
- Free beverages during the day
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- Fitness classes
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 27 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 5 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (10% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||60 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||5 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|5 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$1,500 Adoption benefit||20 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
|20 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $21,500 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked SoCore Energy for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Self-starters with a “can do” attitude are the type of employees who work best in our environment. We also look for people who are not afraid to help out with work outside of their job description, whether that might be an opportunity to get exposure to a new, challenging area or showing their ability to be a team player by helping out with important yet mundane tasks. We're all in this together!
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees can show us that they are passionate about renewable energy and that they are humble. Prospective employees can also impress us by showing us they have the aability to come up with creative solutions and juggle a number of priorities.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We will continue to expand our ground mount solar business so we may have more opportunities for civil and electrical engineers. We'll also be recruiting for Project Developers and Project Managers.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates should do their research about SoCore and find out what is going on in the industry. They should figure out where they can add value to SoCore and then sell that to us.
| 17% Job Growth|| 83 Average applicants per opening|
| 3,584 Applications received|| 35 Positions filled in past year|
| 33% New hires by employee referrals|| 26 New positions created|
| 7 Jobs filled by current employees|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|
| 5 New graduates hired|| 13% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|