Sheetz is not your typical convenience store, but instead a friendly company that treats employees with genuine concern for their well-being while offering unique benefits and opportunities to advance.



This review is based on 479 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 4.40. It was published on Oct 23, 2014. 10299 Visitors

What You Should Know

Have preconceptions about working at a convenience store? Throw them out the window. Employees at Sheetz Inc. enjoy a friendly work environment and benefits unique to this industry, including health insurance, employee stock ownership and regular performance bonuses. Comprehensive training programs moved over two-thirds of current managers up the ranks, and opportunities to give back to the community - supporting the Special Olympics, for example - give Sheetz employees a sense of pride. People looking for an employer offering upward mobility and resources for healthy living will find both at Sheetz, though shifts on the company's 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week schedule may not suit everyone. "They reward us continually for doing our job," one employee says. "It feels great to be appreciated, which makes me want to do an even better job all the time."


Sheetz is a chain of convenience stores that offers fresh food, coffee, snacks and fuel for people on the go. All stores are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Website: US Headquarters: Altoona, Pennsylvania
US Sites: 485 Major Locations: Claysburg, PA; Altoona, PA; Pittsburgh, Pa; Hagerstown, MD; York, PA
US Employees: 16000 US revenues: $6932 million
Worldwide revenues: $6932 million Founded: 1952
Industry: Retail

Sheetz, Inc. has been awarded:

Great Workplaces in Retail 2014 (ranked 11)

Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work for® 2014 (ranked 87)

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Sheetz, 78 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 15 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 93 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Most Sheetz employees work as salespeople and store managers. The company has over 16,000 employees in the United States, where they operate over 485 locations.

Most employees (84 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and even more (88 percent) say that managers trust them to carry out their responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (84 percent), their work at Sheetz is more than just a job: The chance to work alongside friendly colleagues and serve repeat customers provides special meaning.

At Sheetz, 79 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Sheetz, 71 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 5 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $1,500.
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 100 hours.
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 120 hours.
  • There is lots of opportunity for advancement at Sheetz. Employees promoted to assistant manager positions receive seven weeks of in-store training, followed by a four-day interactive workshop at Sheetz University and a month-long internship. Similar programs exist for those stepping into senior roles. Sheetz also has relationships with several universities that offer discounted tuition to Sheetz employees.
Although I have only been a part of this company for six months, I feel that I have grown immensely. I was offered a chance to move up and I took it. I start training for it very soon. I have never worked for a company that cared so much for their employees and their growth in the company.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Sheetz, 78 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 14 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 92 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Sheetz has more than 485 locations in Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland. The stores are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are usually located next to major intersections or roads. It also employs thousands of employees at a corporate office, two distribution centers and commercial kitchens.

Fun and Celebrations

  • Sheetz throws lots of parties, including holiday celebrations and one to mark Earth Day, which involved the distribution of plants and volunteer activities such as a road cleanup. Employees also celebrate successes and milestones with cakes and other food. On Driver Appreciation Week, Sheetz gives its drivers catered meals and bags of snacks.

Caring and Support

  • Sheetz has a wellness center at its distribution center that provides employees and their families with free urgent and preventive care, prescription medication, fitness classes and dietary coaching. Sheetz employees visiting the area can also use the services, and others access them through web conferencing. Sheetz also sponsors wellness challenges, and counseling resources are available through an employee assistance program.
People celebrate special events around here.
I like the sense of family that all employees have created and the genuine interest and concern management has for all employees. From corporate to distribution services to salesperson, they want us to be healthy and happy!


Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Sheetz, 80 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 12 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 92 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

They pay better than other companies. After so long working for them, you are offered benefits (such as insurance, 401K, which they match [dollar for dollar] up to 4 percent.) They set stock aside for you, and after five years of service you can sell it back to them. Also, you get quarterly bonuses and there are competitions with the Sheetz stores where you can win store of the year or overall sales.


$19,752 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Salesperson $36,450 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Assistant Manager
100% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 4% of an employee's contribution 70% Company-paid health coverage for employees
70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 20 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Employee stock ownership plan


  • Free beverages during the day
  • Corporate Shwellness Center
  • Fitness classes
  • College tuition reimbursement
  • Banking and ATMs at all locations
  • Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Employee Assistance Program
  • Convenience store
  • Credit Unions


12 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment 84 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA


  • Flexible schedule (6% use it)
  • Elder care resources
  • Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
They try to work around people's lives and do our schedules to help us. 


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Medical care
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care


  • Breast cancer screening
  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Medical facility
  • Skin cancer screening
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Fitness center

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Sheetz, 83 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 11 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Sheetz's mission is to provide fast and friendly service and quality products in clean and convenient locations. It has more than 485 stores throughout the East Coast. Family-owned, it currently ranks number 58 on the Forbes list of largest private companies.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Our company is unique because we are continually expanding and growing. This benefits all employees because with growth comes opportunity, and we are all given our fair shot at promoting and moving, should we so choose.

Supporting the Community

  • Philanthropic donations in the last year for the Sheetz Family Charities: $1.9 Million.
  • Sheetz supports a number of charitable organizations and holds a yearly golf classic and other activities that raise money for its own charity, Sheetz Family Charities. For example, employees donate a dollar to the organization for the privilege of wearing jeans on Fridays. Sheetz also offers local on-duty police officers free coffee every day and often delivers food and drinks to the scene if local emergency services are responding to an accident or fire.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Between the many charities and all of the events and functions given to customers and employees alike, this company's kindness and generosity are boundless.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Sheetz, 82 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 11 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 93 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Despite the fact Sheetz stores are spread over six states and almost 500 locations, employees feel they are in the loop when it comes to developments within the company. Most (85 percent) say managers are approachable and easy to talk with and that employees can ask them any reasonable question and get a straight answer. Almost as many (84 percent) say managers keep them informed about important issues and changes and make their expectations clear. Additionally, eight out of 10 employees say management genuinely seeks and responds to suggestions and ideas.

This is still a family-oriented business, even after 50 years, and it is great that the members of the board of directors make it a point to get out and visit all the stores on a frequent basis. They make it a point to keep in touch with what all employees think and what the customers like about the way we do business.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Sheetz, 79 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 13 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 92 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Sheetz employees widely appreciate the transparent communication and pride in their stores that managers encourage at the company. Team members also feel that their bosses know what they are doing. Eighty-seven percent of employees say managers are competent at running the business and have a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. The same percentage of team members believe the company would lay people off only as a last resort. Almost as many (86 percent) report managers are honest and ethical in their work practices, while eight out of 10 employees say their bosses show a sincere interest in them as people, not just as names on their badges.

All of the Sheetz family members and team from corporate are personal and make you a priority no matter what position you are titled.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Free and Discounted Food: Sheetz employees receive a 50 percent discount on all made-to-go food and Sheetz Bros. Coffeez specialty drinks. Fresh brewed coffee and fountain drinks are free during work hours.
  • Upward Mobility: Employees have plenty of room to grow within the organization, as evidenced by the fact that 68 percent of Sheetz store managers started off in entry-level positions. The company offers myriad training opportunities that allow people in entry-level hourly positions to move up and become shift supervisors, assistant managers and managers. 
  • Bonuses: All employees receive bonuses based on their store's profitability and performance in quality assurance and customer service. In 2013, annual bonuses averaged $345 for salespeople, $784.80 for shift supervisors, $2,544.42 for assistant managers and $20,960 for store managers - totalling more than $41.5 million. 
  • Service Recognition: For every five years of service, employees and a guest are rewarded with a paid two-day vacation stay at a resort in Pennsylvania, which includes meals and recreational activities, as well as gifts that range up to a $5,500 in cash. Employees with 20 years of service receive an extra two days.
  • Show the Love: Each store receives a Show the Love kit that makes it easy for managers to reward everyday performance. Thank-you cards recognize outstanding efforts in the store. Posters for birthdays and anniversaries include space for co-workers to sign personal messages. “WOW” hat pins are presented to employees who have gone above and beyond their job duties. Employees also receive food coupons for free Sheetz MTO products any time they cover an unscheduled shift.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Sheetz employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"We are a first-name company, a fact that adds to the family feeling of the company. Sheetz is the most caring and sharing employer I have ever had the opportunity to work for!"

"I will say that this has been the best job I have ever had. I feel like part of a family, and we all get along for the most part. Management doesn't just care about how you do as an employee but also cares about you as a person."

"There is an overall friendliness and acceptance of each employee. (Cheerful hellos and smiles.) No discrimination because of race, age, religion, etc. The company is quick to reward good achievements by individuals, as well as complete store teams. Gift cards are given when job is well done, etc."

"This is a great place to work because we are like a family. When you have a problem, everyone jumps in to help. We laugh together and we cry together. I am older than everyone, but they include me in everything they do. When one girl lost her son, everyone rallied around her and showed her our love. There is no other way to say it. We are family."

"I went through a period in my personal life where I needed professional help. The management and corporate helped me get the treatment I needed. I have been treated extremely fair since returning to work. The support and kindness received has been overwhelmingly awesome! If not for the support from the company, I would not have been able to return to being a functional human being in society."

"Sheetz is not a job, it's a career. I have been with this company for 23 years, and I have never been treated more like a part of someone's family as I have been with the Sheetz family. Sheetz recognizes their employees for their work. Great benefits."

"We love to celebrate our accomplishments and invite all employees to join those good times! Year-end is always fabulous. Even at the end of a bad year, it's better than any party most companies would host."

"Sheetz is a fast-paced and high-energy environment to work in. Being open 24/7 means there is always work to be done, so it is never boring. Sheetz is a family-owned company that takes care of employees with competitive wages, health care, quarterly bonuses and employee discounts."

"We love our company and how it operates. We also love our co-workers and genuinely love coming in to work each day. Our management is awesome and they treat us all like equals."

"Sheetz is one of the few restaurants in existence today that hires full-time employees, pays them fairly, provides them with benefits and gives each employee a chance to move up. Sheetz is a forward-thinking company and keeps every employee in the loop when it comes to new business ideas. They are the only company I've ever worked for that provides tuition reimbursement. They genuinely want their employees to succeed and move up in the company. The upward mobility is exceptional."

"They are employee-focused. From in-store recognition and promotion, to activities outside the workplace, Sheetz strives to make sure every employee knows they are appreciated. Each employee is a unique person and not just a uniform with a name tag."

"They have a no-tolerance policy for harassment, drugs or alcohol. There is an employee hotline to use if there is a problem that can't be resolved at store level. Wages and benefits are excellent."

How to Get Hired

Hiring Outlook

3%Job Growth 22Average number of applicants per opening
38%Total voluntary turnover in past year 162000Applicants in past year
7463Openings in past year

Follow Sheetz, Inc.

Related Companies