What You Should Know
Nine in 10 employees at this construction services and site design and management company say it’s a great place to work, thanks to its flexible work policies, trustworthy leaders and development opportunities.
The company has 174 employees working in 28 states. Many staffers work from home, and they say that this allows them to focus on doing great work. “I can successfully juggle all aspects of my life; not only my work responsibilities, but those of my family,” says one employee. “The flexibility is invaluable to me, and it makes me strive to do my very best for the team.” A resounding 97% of employees report managers trust people to do their jobs without micromanaging them. This trust and flexibility also extends to time off: an unlimited vacation policy gives employees a lot of discretion over their time management and time away from the office.
Sevan isn’t only lauded for its flexibility; management gets high marks from employees. “Leadership promotes a culture of trust for employees and makes it point to be transparent on company's milestones and goals,” says one staffer – 94% of employees agree that management is honest, ethical, and approachable. “As a frontline employee, I have had the opportunity to meet with senior leadership and give feedback on issues that affect me within the company,” one employee comments. “They listen to all feedback genuinely and use it as an opportunity to grow as an organization.”
Employees can grow at Sevan: 8 in 10 say they are offered training to further themselves professionally. The company reimburses up to $1,500 per calendar year for approved college courses, and has a mentorship program that pairs up new employees with seasoned staff, who help them acclimate at Sevan. “This company has a diverse base of customers, projects, and programs that provide employees new opportunities to challenge themselves and continue to grow in order to reach their full potential,” says one employee.
Sevan is growing rapidly and employees report leaders are committed to preserving their great culture in the years to come. “It is a difficult balance to adapt to our aggressive growth while maintaining our ‘people-focused’ entrepreneurial culture,” one employee commented. “Sevan works sincerely to tackle those challenges by empowering people in all positions to participate in the formation and execution of the ideas that continue to make this a great place to work.”
What Employees Say
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
Management is approachable, easy to talk with.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked Sevan Multi-Site Solutions, LLC to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We provide multi-site program management, design, survey and construction services in North America. Our team resides in twenty-eight states. Clients include McDonald’s, Walgreens, BP, 7-Eleven, Starbucks, Tesoro and Kroger. We are proud to be a veteran owned small business (VOSB).
About this Company
| Website: www.sevansolutions.com|| Industry: Construction & Real Estate|
| US Headquarters: Downers Grove, Illinois, 60515|| US Sites: 4|
| Major Locations: Chicago, Illinois; Nashville, Tennessee; Denver, Colorado; Jacksonville, Florida; Detroit, Michigan; Los Angeles, California; New York, New York; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Dallas, Texas; Cleveland, Ohio|| US Employees: 174|
| US Revenues: $31.2 million|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 2011|
Perks and Programs
We asked Sevan Multi-Site Solutions, LLC to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Insperity Marketplace: MarketPlace (provided by Insperity) is an online community of product and service providers that offers online and local deals on a variety of everyday personal and business purchases. Through Insperity, Sevan employees have access to discounts on numerous products and services including travel, cell phones, computers, and other consumer items.
- Educational Assistance and Expense Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,500 per calendar year for approved college courses taken as part of a degree program at an accredited institution, and up to a maximum of $500 per calendar year can be applied to approved continuing education expenses (including courses taken at an accredited trade or vocational school, business school or through a professional association).
- Free Term Life Insurance and Auto Club Membership: Sevan offers each team member a “no cost” employer paid Group Term Life Insurance program that provides 3 x Annual Salary in coverage plus $50,000 – for a total coverage of up to $400,000 maximum. Sevan also provides AAA auto club Memberships and reimburses employees up to $75 annually - which provides travel discounts, lock-out, gasoline, break down and towing services.
- Flexible (Unlimited) Time Off: Beginning in January 2016, Sevan introduced a Flexible Time Off policy designated to create a flexible workplace for better work-life balance, encourage employee productivity and creativity and reduce employee burnout and administrative tasks associated with tracking time off. This new policy eliminates a fixed number of paid time off days and instead gives employees, subject to advance approval, the freedom to decide when and for how long to take time off.
- Army 10 Miler: For the third year in a row, Sevan will be participating in the Fisher House Foundation Army Ten-Miler in Washington, D.C. Those interested in becoming a part of the Sevan running/walking Team are entered into a company raffle. This raffle will choose 7 runners who will receive an all-inclusive trip to participate in the event (including complimentary airfare and transportation services along with overnight lodging and meals) as part of the Sevan Team. We do ask participants to cover their registration and fundraising costs to enter the race. These funds will go directly towards the Fisher House Foundation military initiative. Each participant raises $600 or more for the Fisher House Foundation, making Sevan one of their top fundraisers in the Army 10-Miler race.
- Charity Day Off: Each year employees are given 1 day off to volunteer for a Charity of their choice. This time is paid for by Sevan, and allows employees to take the time to give back to their communities and charities. After completing the charity, photos and comments are gathered to upload onto our company employee portal to share with the organization.
- Employee Assistance Program: Care24 services provide confidential support, counseling, customized resources, referrals, health education and disease prevention. Employees have unlimited telephone and online support as well as up to three (3) face-to-face counseling sessions (per individual, per issue, per year) with an affiliate counselor.
- Mentor Program: The mentor program was formed to allow more seasoned employees to mentor new members of the Sevan team. This mentorship allows new employees to learn and grow from the advice and knowledge of an employee who has been with us for a longer time period. This also allows new employees to have a contact when questions arise during the first few months of their career with Sevan.
- Leadership Class: Taught and facilitated by senior level management, based on, The 8th Habit, by Stephen R. Covey. A 12-month session where a small group of our “up & coming” Project Managers meet and discuss topics covering the Modeling, Pathfinding, Aligning and Empowering aspects of leading. Individuals are assigned materials to teach each 60-minute session. For the final class, each individual describes their “Leadership Voice” and how they are helping others to find their voice, as well.
- Company "SWAG": At the end of 2016, every Sevan Team Member was able to redeem up to $150 in free S.W.A.G. (Sevan Wearables And Gear). Employees could choose from clothing and other items embroidered with the Sevan company logo. A complete, comprehensive Sevan online company store with dozens of items is being launched and the company will be able to recognize team members by providing additional "SWAG credit" to use at the store through the year.
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 3 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|| Unlimited Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (83% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (Free coffee, soda, snacks, parking. Occasionally free lunches. Walking distance to town center, restaurants, train station to Chicago.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||40 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||$1,500 Adoption benefit|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $15,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| Jay Richie, P.E. & LEED AP - Project Executive, and Director of Sustainability Leads environmental impact team|| Yes Sustainable commuting program|
| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Sevan Multi-Site Solutions, LLC employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"The founders, executives, and management are unlike any in all the places I have worked. They truly care about their employees and their families. They always make themselves available. You can walk into the room with them in there and feel perfectly comfortable talking with them."
"You really feel like you are part of team at Sevan. Sevan leadership promotes a culture of trust for employees and makes it point to be transparent on company's milestones and goals."
"The complete package Sevan offers makes it a Great Place to work. As a lucky employee at Sevan I have work work life balance. I have the ability with my job to juggle successfully all aspects of my life, not only my work responsibilities but those of my family. The flexibility is invaluable to me. It makes me strive to do my very best for the Sevan team."
"I believe Sevan is at the forefront of the "workplace revolution". Meaning that at most companies, hours at the office is the main factor in asking if an employee is doing their job. At Sevan, team members are codependent upon each other that if you don't do your actual job, it is obvious. It leads to much happier employees and much better products. "
"I really like that as a front level employee I have had the opportunity to meet with senior leadership and give feedback on issues that affect me within the company. They listen to all feedback genuinely and use it as an opportunity to grow as an organization."
"Even though Sevan keeps growing, it feels like it is still small and that you can speak to anyone who works here, on a first name basis. Everyone has a voice. It feels good!"
"The company president is very approachable and keeps in touch with the employees personally. Everyone gets along and is willing to help out whenever possible. Great teamwork atmosphere!"
"A majority of employees work from home which is a wonderful benefit in countless ways. We hold ourselves accountable to be in our home office yet get the job done that we are assigned to do. Trust is very high that we will do our job, and because of that, it inspires us to perform."
"From senior C-suite leadership down to the newest entry-level employee, I'd say everyone is professional. Management takes great pains to hire the correct fit, outfit them with the resources and knowledge to be successful. Additionally, everyone is empowered to make decisions and or at least, immediately get to the decision maker."
"This company has a diverse base of customers, projects, and programs that provide employees with new opportunities to challenge themselves and continue to grow in order to reach their full potential."
How to Get Hired
We asked Sevan Multi-Site Solutions, LLC for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
An appreciation for and past application of our company core values tells us a lot. We believe our values tell a story of balanced success. We look for people who can be trusted and show great initiative. Most of our employees came as highly recommended referrals from current staff. Staff are careful to only recommend those that they know will be a great fit. With a widely distributed workforce many staff work remotely yet collaboratively so we look for people who have that ability. They should demonstrate respect towards others with different backgrounds, personalities and experiences. This respect fosters effective group effort and resulting Teamwork. Diversely skilled teams are most creative in delivering excellence for our clients. Excellent work leads to excellent rewards allowing for giving back through the support of Charity. If prospective employees understand these values, they will likely be a “great fit” at Sevan.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
A prospective employee gets our attention by first, having some kind of relationship within our company. It may be with one of our clients, contractors or employees, but it is beneficial to have a connection. Most of our staff have come to us though personal referrals and we value those because people take seriously those they refer for employment. Secondly, we like people who do their homework. If they take the time to go to our website and have a good understanding of our people and the work we do it says a lot. They get noticed when they ask intelligent questions about our business. Finally, individuals who have professional certifications through AIA (American Institute of Architects) and PMI (Project Management Institute) get our attention.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Our design business has grown substantially as well as our asset assessment survey business. We are always looking for those with CAD skills (AutoCAD or Revit). We are always looking for good construction project/program managers as well – that is our core competency as a company. These types of candidates need to be able to manage those key processes of a project or program having to do with Time, Cost, Quality, Safety, Communications and Customer Satisfaction. We are also continuing our hiring of new college graduates and those early in their careers who are seeking variety and challenge in the roles of project coordinators and assistant project managers. Finally, staff that have particular expertise in planning and entitlements and working on permitting with municipalities across multiple geographies are always valuable.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our website at www.sevansolutions.com/careers and our LinkedIn Careers page.
| 100 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 50% Job Growth|
| 3 Average applicants per opening|| 250 Total job applicants|
| 35% New hires by employee referrals|| 25% Openings filled by current employees|
| 3 Recent graduates hired|| 6% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 6% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|