Staffers credit Scripps Health’s people for its success and community commitment. Also, 89 percent praise their benefits from flu shots to free massages, and 85 percent call it a great workplace. 



This review is based on 705 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 3.59. It was published on Oct 23, 2014. 21659 Visitors

What You Should Know

Scripps Health employees credit the health care system's people for its success. A large majority praise Scripps' community contributions to San Diego, where it's based. Eighty-nine percent of staffers appreciate their special benefits, including perks that promote their well-being, including 100 fitness classes across 12 locations daily, health screenings, free flu shots and three free onsite chair massages annually, plus more for a discount. Those who prioritize working with cutting-edge technology may not find it a fit. A majority, however, say their work is more than just a job, and 85 percent call it a great workplace. "We seem to be moving in the right direction for the future challenges, financial as well as health care advances," says one employee. "This makes me proud to work for Scripps.


Scripps Health operates five acute-care hospital campuses, plus clinics, physician offices, home health care and hospice care services and an ambulatory care network, in the San Diego region of Southern California. Last year, its physician offices and 26 outpatient centers and clinics treated a half million patients. 

Website: US Headquarters: San Diego, California
US Sites: 30 Major Locations: San Diego County; San Diego, CA; La Jolla, CA; San Diego, CA; La Jolla, CA
US Employees: 12796 US revenues: $2.6 billion
Worldwide revenues: $2.6 billion Founded: 1924
Industry: Health Care

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Scripps Health, 79 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 10 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 89 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Scripps Health employees provide life-saving and preventative medical care. The company has approximately 12,796 employees in the United States, where they operate 30 locations. 

A majority of employees (86 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (80 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (88 percent), their work at Scripps Health is more than just a job: the chance to provide direct care to patients provides special meaning.

At Scripps Health, 78 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Scripps Health, 72 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within four percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $1,500
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 30 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 100 hours
  • Employees have access to career development courses and services, clinical training, and leadership education programs through the Scripps Center for Learning & Innovation. 
  • Employees and their dependents have access to scholarships and tuition reimbursement programs to further their education. 
I really like that we have clinical mentors in our unit. They are great resources and exist to help while giving excellent care to patients. They are readily available to new RNs who need guidance.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Scripps Health, 78 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 12 percent sometimes benefit from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 90 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Scripps Health employees work out of five acute-care hospital campuses, in patients' homes, outpatient centers and hundreds of physician offices. 

Eight out of 10 or more employees describe their working environment as consistently friendly and caring, with a family or team feeling, where people feel comfortable being themselves. In fact, 78 percent actually look forward to coming to work.

Fun and Celebrations

  • Employees enjoy events such as advance screenings of movies, talent shows, trips to the ballet or theatre, Oscar parties, Chargers and Padres games, Halloween parties and costume contests and Hollywood style recognition events for their years of service. 

Caring and Support

  • When wildfires ravaged parts of Southern California, Scripps set up onsite child care centers so that employees' children could be safe and cared for close by while parents worked, even while their schools were closed. 
  • To help employees cope with the death of a beloved colleague, Work Life Services planned onsite memorial services and other support for families and co-workers of the deceased. 
People celebrate special events around here.
People are usually always willing to help, especially if you are working on a deadline.



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Scripps Health, 78 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 11 percent report they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 89 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

The benefits are amazing. People are rewarded for staying with the company, and I appreciate that.


$95,867 Average salary and additional cash compensation for registered nurse $124,762 Average salary and additional cash compensation for manager/director
100% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution 91% Company-paid health coverage for employees
83% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 16 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Personal concierge service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Car wash
  • Convenience store
  • Banking
  • Subsidized public transportation
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Take-home meals on a regular basis
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Travel service


24 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment $2,000 Adoption benefit
87 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA 30 days Paid leave for adoptive parents


  • Unpaid sabbaticals
  • Telecommute option (15% use it)
  • Phased retirement planning
  • Offsite subsidized child care
  • Elder care resources
  • Flexible schedule (60% use it)
  • Compressed workweeks (50% use it)
  • Onsite child care
  • Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
We have a flexible schedule. If we need to go home for an emergency, they understand, and we can always count on managers' support to take care of our family first.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care


  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships
  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Fitness center

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Scripps Health, 85 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 9 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Scripps strives to provide health services in a caring, patient-focused environment with an emphasis on quality, efficient care and respect. During 2013, the value of Scripps-sponsored community benefit programs and services totaled approximately $355 million. Also in 2013, for the third consecutive year Scripps was named among the 15 Top Health Systems in the nation by business research firm Truven Health Analytics.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I'm very proud to say I work for Scripps. I worked for two other organizations; I feel very blessed to work for an organization that I feel will be around until I retire.

Supporting the Community

  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $355,000,000
  • Scripps Health has sent medical response teams to assist with natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina, the earthquake in Haiti and California wildfires. 
  • Scipps offers financial assistance, including complete or partial bill forgiveness, to families with incomes of up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I am so proud to say I work for Scripps, because it is a well-respected organization that continues to evolve and stops at nothing to give back to its employees and community!

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Scripps Health, 75 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 12 percent sometimes have this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 87 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Despite Scripps Health's large size, most staffers have access to the information they need. Three-quarters of employees say managers keep them informed about important issues changes, leaders make their expectations clear and that when asked any reasonable question managers will give a straight answer. In fact, 79 percent say managers are approachable and easy to talk with. 

I like that our floor supervisors do rounds often to check our needs and update us on changes, events, etc. It is very personable and builds camaraderie. I also like that they communicate with us via email to update us of current goings-on.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Scripps Health, 73 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 12 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 85 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Scripps Health employees widely appreciate the community contributions and company pride their leaders encourage. Staffers describe managers who demonstrate caring, integrity and effectiveness. More than eight out of 10 employees believe managers would lay people off only as a last resort and that they are honest and ethical in their business practices. Additionally, 79 percent say managers are competent at running the business.

I feel that top level management has tried very hard to make this a great medical facility and a place where you enjoy your work. I also feel top level management has tried to provide for the employees a fantastic benefits package. 

Great Perks and Programs

  • Family-Friendly Activities: Employees bring their families to company events such as Halloween costume contests, movie nights, sporting events and more. 
  • Onsite Chair Massage: All employees are eligible to receive free chair massages by trained massage therapists and can choose to buy additional blocks of massage time at a discounted rate. 
  • Wellness Programs: Employees and their families have access to biometric health screenings, electronic health coaching, online wellness assessments and free flu shots for employees. Wellness participants earn points for participating in activity challenges, which can also result in a discount on their health plan premium. 
  • Recognition Programs: Employees can acknowledge each other through Excel Together, an online recognition program allowing them to send eThanks to individuals or groups and receive points that can be exchanged online for gifts. Direct managers are automatically copied. Employees also receive awards for five or more years of service at the annual red carpet-style Service Awards celebration. 
  • Cooking & Fitness Classes: Employees have access to 100 fitness classes per week (spread over 12 locations) and cooking classes in two locations. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Scripps Health employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"When there have been evacuations in the area due to fires or other disasters and schools are closed, Scripps offers onsite child care for children of Scripps employees. I think this is very unique and helpful. "

"Administration and corporate are very supportive and encourage us to grow as employees and individuals. Offering tuition assistance, and extending it to dependents, is an amazing gesture and shows that the organization really cares about us and our families."

"This company provides many benefits to its employees and manages to give employees opportunities for raises when other comparable companies are laying employees off."

"The thing that makes this company unique is the strength of the people who work here. They will work and make the best of the situation in a team-supporting approach. I am proud to work with these people."

"What makes this company unique to me is the level of communication that is shared throughout the organization with the employees, whether it's about the day-to-day traffic, fires, policy updates or a situation that occurred across the globe, such as the typhoon that happened over in the Philippines. To me that shows how concerned this company is for the employees."

"Scripps is very generous with our benefits and appreciates long-term employees. We are made to feel that we make a difference with our excellent care. We are encouraged to join in and celebrate different occasions. Our supervisor is fair and compassionate and always has an open door when needed."

"I know the quality of my work is important to me and to the patient I am working with and for. Scripps has always made me feel that I have the freedom to be my personal best and for that I am grateful."

"I enjoy a massage every now and then. This benefit not only is unique, it helps with stress and also provides a nice change from the daily routine. "

"I think this is a great place to work because we are always helping someone. It makes you feel good to know someone appreciates when we help them. Also you can start at the very bottom and work your way up into management, and Scripps even pays for schooling to further your career."

"Scripps has a great community presence and reputation. From having programs that help the poor, great hospitals and increasing the amount of clinics, the community appreciates having Scripps' availability. This helps to make employees proud to be Scripps employees."

"The CEO and executive team are invested in the company and all the people. They recognize everyone's individual effort and care about all employees. Even though we are a large organization, Scripps feels like a family."

"Scripps is unique in how the leadership is transparent with their employees about their circumstances, financial status and goals and overall strategic plans. There is such an effort to educate, share knowledge and empower employees to work together to help our organization to thrive, help us to help others and our community and to really make a difference. I'm extremely proud and thankful to be a part of Scripps and its mission."

How to Get Hired

We asked Scripps Health for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

As a health care leader, Scripps credits our tradition of excellence to the dedicated individuals who make up the Scripps team. Our employees are our most valuable asset. To ensure we are first choice for patient care and careers, our goal is to attract and retain top talent. Scripps' core workforce philosophy is to fully staff the organization with the best people to support and advance our mission, vision, values and objectives. As a values-driven organization, Scripps seeks to hire candidates with characteristics and behaviors closely aligned with our values:

  • Quality
  • Solving problems and making improvements
  • Compliance and organizational alignment
  • Integrity and accountability 
  • Respect
  • Communicating with others
  • Working with others
  • Creates a favorable impression
  • Serving others 
  • Efficiency
  • Dependability
  • Resource utilization

All of these combine to give our people a high sense of pride in the company and themselves.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

People at Scripps often feel that they are answering a special call to serve others. But in the process, something inspiring happens to them as well. To get our attention, candidates should tell us about their proudest contributions at work and when they provided exceptional customer service or patient care. They should tell a story about how their contributions helped an organization reach its goals and explain how they collaborated with others to achieve great results.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

In today’s challenging hiring environment, Scripps uses a variety of analytic tools to assess talent for best organizational fit and staffing needs. Managers are trained to select candidates who are qualified, demonstrate Scripps values and fit within the overall Scripps culture. Scripps uses the TalentMine talent management tool to assess talent and screen new hires; candidates are assessed based on known strengths and competencies that make individuals successful at Scripps. Candidates submit an online application and complete TalentMine; the assessment highlights candidates’ individual strengths and is valid for one year from the date of completion. Candidates receive the TalentMine invitation within 24 hours via e-mail and have 72 hours to complete it. Candidates receive a personalized description of strengths. Candidates for direct patient care roles such as nursing also complete situational judgment tests, which are video graphic simulations that measure how they would handle situations with patients or their families.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

If you have strong problem-solving skills and integrity paired with an ability to communicate well with others, then you could be a good fit to work at Scripps. The company hires nurses, pharmacists, administrative professionals, hospice and food service workers, among other positions. Required experience varies depending on the position you're applying for. Scripps trains managers to hire for long-term retention and assess candidates on the strengths and competencies that make Scripps employees succeed, among them passion, sincerity and strong vision. Managers are also rewarded for the retention of first-year employees.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

The first step is to visit to explore career opportunities and current openings at Scripps. To apply for an open position, candidates should complete and submit an online application. Within 24 hours of applying for a job at Scripps, you'll receive an email invitation to complete TalentMine, an online assessment designed to highlight your strengths. Afterwards, you'll receive a personalized assessment based on your answers. Candidates for direct patient care roles such as nursing also complete situational judgment tests, which are video graphic simulations that measure how you would handle situations with patients or their families.

Hiring Outlook

24Average number of applicants per opening 6%Total voluntary turnover in past year
92542Applicants in past year 127Openings in past year
31%New hires by employee referrals

Follow Scripps Health

Related Companies