What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked SAS Institute Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
SAS creates analytic software that turns customer data into insight and makes the world better by doing good. Customers in 149 countries use SAS to battle cybercrime, improve customer experiences, protect endangered species, improve education and child welfare, and much more.
About this Company
| Website: www.sas.com|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Cary, North Carolina, 27513|| US Sites: 44|
| Major Locations: Bloomington, Minnesota; Austin, Texas; Arlington, Virginia|| US Employees: 7,167|
| Worldwide Revenues: $3,200 million|| Employees Worldwide: 14,136|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1976|
Perks and Programs
We asked SAS Institute Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Healthy Meals at Fast-Food Prices: We want our employees to be happy, healthy and proud of the difference their work makes. We offer healthy meals at fast food prices in any of the four full service campus cafés or Food-to-Go locations. Employees can also pick up subsidized family dinners to take with them in the evenings – now the whole family can enjoy a healthy meal at home. There are also free breakroom snacks, drinks and coffee – including special breakfast treats on Fridays. We have many coffee shops around our campus and sometimes you’ll even hear employees tickling the keys of the piano in one of our cafés – adding to the coffee shop vibe!
- The Office: We know creativity doesn’t happen on command, so we support flexibility to work when and where employees feel the most creative. Some employees prefer to work in their private offices where they can surround themselves with things that inspire them like photos, posters, books and even collections of Star Wars Pez dispensers. Others enjoy the energy of our large collaboration spaces like our new Design Lab. Employees can also visit one of our coffee shops, take a walk on our trails or grab a spot on one of our patios – our personal favorite has a giant chess board.
- Students and STEM: We’re passionate about giving back and supporting our community. We promote volunteering, provide matching funds through DonorsChoose.com when employees help fund projects for teachers and host events like STEM days and Days of Code. We focus our efforts on education – specifically STEM education – and help kids discover that science and math have been and always will be ‘cool’. Where else could you play with Sphero robots, learn to code on iPads and working on cool projects like using analytics to predict the winner of the NCAA men’s basketball championship? When our employees get to lead these activities in schools, they turn in to kids for a day, too!
- Emerging Leaders: We develop our young professional talent by providing leadership training, exposure and networking opportunities with SAS executives and community leaders, expanding on-the-job experience with special projects, and teaching energy management for future leadership roles.
- Lifelong Learning: Our roots are in academia and we’re proud of it! We started 40 years ago analyzing agricultural data for NC State University. Now, we’ve grown to have our own ‘campus’ that still has a university flair. We recognize the importance of continuous learning and development, so we offer tuition assistance for employees who want to go back to school and continue growing professionally. We provide employees with tuition reimbursement up to $5,250 annually to show our support. And for those looking for more informal development, we have an on-site library with over 10,000 books, librarians to help with research for projects, and access to Lynda.com from LinkedIn to pursue personal skill development.
- Work hard – Play hard: We love to celebrate everything from work anniversaries and birthdays to our annual SAS picnic – where you’ll find food, fun and lots of fireworks. SAS ‘Pi Day’ on 3/14 may be our most unique celebration since numbers are at the heart of everything we do. We celebrate by taking group photos by our outdoor Pi art sculpture, employees can submit creative “pi charts” to win prizes, and it wouldn't be complete without actual pies. Who doesn’t love to eat a piece of pie?
- Winter Break: What’s the best holiday gift of all? Extra time to spend with family and friends, of course. Our people work hard all year so we like to say “Thank you” by giving our employees a Winter Break. Everyone in the company takes a break the last week of December through the New Year without having to take additional vacation time. That means no meetings and no emails. That way, we can enjoy the holidays and save our vacation time for another big trip!
- Environmental Sustainability: We believe in doing our part to help protect the environment by reducing our footprint with multiyear programs focused on energy conservation, emission management, pollution mitigation, water conservation, and waste reduction and recycling. Do we have a solar farm? Yup. Do we have honeybee pollinators on-site? You bet. Do we have 10 LEED-certified buildings including one Platinum certification? Sure do. Do we have employees who run recycling programs on-site? You know it. As our world evolves, we must be diligent in safeguarding the planet, and targeting innovative ways to sustainably live and work – starting with our own campus.
- Check off your ‘To-Do List’ on-site: We believe you should enjoy your life outside of work as much as you enjoy your day job. So, we make it easy for our employees to check off their ‘To-Do List’ on-site. Need to visit the doctor? We have a full-service Health Care Center and Pharmacy on-site with full primary care for employees, spouses and dependents. Want to fit that workout out in? Stop by our free on-site gym or pool, or check out our full sports complex with tennis courts, soccer fields, running trails and more. There’s also a Work-Life Center with programs to help employees plan for everything from their kids’ college to finding local eldercare. And don’t forget our Campus Cuts hair salon, massage therapist, nail salon and yoga studio.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|87% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 87% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| 75% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|| 20 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
| $3,193 Average Tuition Reimbursement|| $5,250 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 27 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 19 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 15 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
| 7 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Medical facilities (only at headquarters)
- Onsite Amenities (Subsidized breakfast and lunch;
4 full-service cafes;
5 Food- To-Go locations;
Breakstations w/complimentary snacks and beverages;
Land, water and mind/body classes;
Fitness facilities (weight room, cardio room);
Sports facilities (indoor courts, outdoor fields, tennis courts);
Health Care Center/Pharmacy;
WorkLife Center/Caring Closet;
Skin, Nail and Hair Salon Services;
Concierge Services/Errand Runners;
Weekly Produce Delivery;
Discount Tickets for local entertainment)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||30 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|62 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|20 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||15 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$5,000 Adoption benefit||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
|20 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| Manager Environmental Sustainability Leads environmental impact team|| Self-Conducted Environmental impact audit|
| 10 LEED certified building(s)|| Yes Sustainable commuting program|
| Yes Renewable energy program|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- This collaborative effort between HR, Benefits and Talent Acquisition is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked SAS Institute Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
|Here at SAS, we are looking for people who want more. People who want more than just a job, more than just a paycheck or a 9 to 5. Candidates must be ready to make an impact. We look for the total candidate: technical skills, culture fit, relationship skills, problem solvers, good communicators and, of course, innovators. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes SAS such a great place to work.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
|To be a candidate that stands out above the rest, invest extra time. You can invest time into learning about what SAS does and who we are in the analytics marketplace and tie that into your interview as it relates to the job you are applying for. Also, invest time into creating a great resume that gives specific and concise details on your career history accomplishments, it makes all the difference! Finally, invest time into interviewing us too! Make sure that when interviewing you are asking questions and being thoughtful throughout the process to think about whether the role, team and organization are ones that you will be excited to be a part of every day for years to come.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
|SAS is looking for candidates in critical revenue generating areas such as sales, consulting, and research and development. We look for candidates with deep analytical expertise in the areas of statistics, operations research, and econometrics, as well as domain expertise such as health care, financial services, manufacturing, and government.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
|Interested candidates should check out our careers site (www.sas.com/careers)to see all openings and set up job alerts for new positions. Also, following us LinkedIn is a great way to stay connected.
| 1,200 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| -0% Job Growth|
| 38 Average applicants per opening|| 69,827 Total job applicants|
| 40% New hires by employee referrals|| 23% Openings filled by current employees|
| 146 Recent graduates hired|| 1% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 8% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|