What Employees Say
Management is competent at running the business.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked Salsify to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
The Salsify product content management platform is used by the world's biggest brands and retailers, including Mondelez, Bosch, Coca Cola, Rawlings and Red Bull to manage, optimize, and syndicate their content, which speeds up time to market, increases product assortment, and grows their sales.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.salsify.com/|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Boston, Massachusetts, 02128|| US Employees: 117|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 2012|
Perks and Programs
We asked Salsify to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Opportunity for Global Impact: The world of retail has been flipped on its head, and it’s brought a new set of challenges and opportunities to be solved. At Salsify, we are solving some of the most complex issues and empowering the new way the world shops. While it’s not the traditional perk, Salsify’s market offers an incredible opportunity for software engineers, sales executives and other employees to shape the digital future. We’re solving data and communications challenges that touch every major brand and retailer across the globe. Employees know the decisions and projects they work on impact not only Salsify customers but everyone who browses or shops online.
- Families and Friends Welcome: Team members at Salsify are empowered to keep a healthy work life balance, which is why we have flexible vacation hours. Employees take time off based on what’s important to them. We have an annual summer outing, where everyone is encouraged to bring their family and friends to gather and enjoy a day outside of the office.
- Ladies of Salsify: Salsify will sponsor a She Geeks Out event in 2017 to connect female employees with a larger network of like-minded and enthusiastic women. We keep each other informed about events or plan a ladies’ night for the group (all done via slack, of course). Last year, we hosted a Lesbians in Tech meetup with an inspiring panel for women in our industry.
- Community Involvement: In 2016, Salsify launched a STEM education program with Boston Public Schools to give back to our community and do our part to encourage and enable a more diverse and local pipeline of STEM workers. In partnership with Boston Public Schools and the City of Boston, Salsify regularly hosts a group of students for a day-long field trip to their offices. Members of our engineering, sales and marketing team guide students to design, build and speak about initial prototypes of their own problem-solving software. Our engineering team is also involved with Resilient Coders, code literacy program for young people from traditionally underserved communities.
- Collaborative Culture: At Salsify, everyone owns the culture. We value creating a tight knit community where everyone feels welcome to be themselves, share their ideas, and have fun while we're doing it. Departments take turns hosting a themed Social Thursday of their choice like, board game night, Salsify Olympics, Oktoberfest, and more. Team members regularly plan get-togethers after work including karaoke and trivia nights.
- Start-Up Lifestyle: We may not be in the earliest start-up stage, but we keep the start-up spirit alive through constant innovation, a fast-not-flawless attitude, and the fuel we need to keep going - like our weekly company lunches on Fridays, beers on tap, and a fully stocked kitchen with all the snacks you’ll ever need. We can guarantee you’ll never be hungry or bored around here.
- Customer Oriented Focus: We take pride in our platform. The problem we solve is very unique and requires all hands on deck to solve. In order to keep the communication open between our team and our customers, we invite customers to come be active participants in the solution. We’ve had Q&A panels, thought leadership events, and customer hackathons. Every employee has the chance to interact and work with our customers to find the best solution for their need. And it can’t go without saying, we work with some of the most motivated, transformative, and fun people in the retail space.
- Trust in Employees: Throughout the recruitment process, we look for candidates who are passionate, empowered, curious, and adaptable because we believe those are the people who will be most successful at Salsify. When our employees come on board, we give them the tools they need to be successful and find their career path within Salsify; whether that means moving to a leadership position or making a lateral movement between departments. Our goal is to be supportive of employee learning and provide as many development opportunities as we can. In 2017, we will be launching manager training to help our managers continue to grow, develop new skills, and adapt to the ever changing workplace.
- Onboarding is for Everyone: During Orientation, our main goal is to make every new hire feels welcome and excited to be at Salsify. Aside from the typical orientation that covers values, benefits, and who we are, we set up Salsify University which consists of small group interactions with each member of the executive team. This gives new hires an opportunity to meet each executive and get a candid look into each area of the business.
- Open Concept: When designing our new office space, our executive team created space where people could collaborate as a team but also provide smaller, quiet areas to encourage individual creativity.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|100% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| Unlimited Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| Unlimited Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||40 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||40 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|40 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
|40 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- 4 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Salsify for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Candidates who are empowered, adaptable and capable of problem solving will have the most success at Salsify. The most successful employees at Salsify embody our most important value 'empowered not entitled'. We take ownership of understanding our goals, the process towards them and the impact we have on our team as a whole. We're passionate about winning as a team and driving towards our goals. People at Salsify are not just smart - they are quick on their feet and can offer creative solutions to complex challenges we face everyday. This company moves fast, we're growing and we're looking for employees that are adaptable as our company and culture scales.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We look for those who are passionate about the problem we're solving and clearly shown that they have done their research. The less time we have to spend explaining what we do and why, the more time in the process we have to focus on the prospect's experience. Prospective employees who can directly convey why are we a good fit for them and how they plan to make an impact at Salsify, is a key attribute we look for. A good way to do so is to show examples of successes or wins in past positions, and/or display past achievements in an environment like ours. Salsify is in a very niche but exciting space, so we understand not everyone has worked on the exact problem we are solving - but the more understanding and excitement candidates show around the problem we solve the more excitement we will have for them.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
In the upcoming year, our biggest areas of growth will be our technology and sales team. As the product continues to evolve, our sales team will be need to handle the demand generation we create and what is created naturally with our growth as a company. Within these two areas, we are looking for candidates who share similar values to ours and think of themselves as empowered, adaptable and passionate.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Check out our careers page and social media channels (@lifeatsalsify): Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Glassdoor, etc. It will give interested candidates a peek into what life at Salsify is all about!
| 75 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 72% Job Growth|
| 35 Average applicants per opening|| 3,079 Total job applicants|
| 42% New hires by employee referrals|| 10% Openings filled by current employees|
| 7 Recent graduates hired|| 4% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|