What Employees Say
People care about each other here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I can be myself around here.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
What They Do
We asked Salem Media Group to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We own and operate radio stations, web and mobile properties, and book and magazine publishing businesses across the country with content that is Christian, conservative, or family-themed.
About this Company
| Website: http://salemmedia.com/|| Industry: Media|
| US Headquarters: Camarillo, California, 93012|| US Sites: 42|
| Major Locations: New York, New York, 10006; Los Angeles, California, 91203; Richmond, Virginia, 23219; Arlington, Virginia, 22209; DC, District of Columbia, 20001; Chicago, Illinois, 60007; Dallas, Texas, 75063; Atlanta, Florida, 30305; San Francisco, California, 94538; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19444|| US Employees: 1,622|
| US Revenues: $274.3 million|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: SALM|| Founded: 1979|
Perks and Programs
We asked Salem Media Group to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Quarterly Awards: Salem recognizes employees quarterly in a variety of different ways. A few examples are: We award the Rising Star Award, for the employee that shows a lot of potential. We award the Salem Star, chosen by their peers, as someone who demonstrates Service, Teamwork, Attitude, and Responsibility. We award the Shining Star Award to an employee for consistent hard work, creativity, and great attitude. Recognition includes everything from a special parking space to $300 gift card to having a 'spotlight' on the local radio station.
- Health Fairs: Salem provides annual health fairs, where vendors for all of our benefit products can come and speak with employees, provide information on services, and give away raffle prizes. Biometric Screenings and on site Flu Shots are quite popular as well!
- Cook offs and Bake offs: Salem offices have a variety of different cook offs and bake offs to allow employees to be able to share their culinary talents with their co-workers. Some of the most popular ones are the “Chili and Cornbread cook off”, the “Sweets and Treats bakeoff”, the “Wholly Guacamole and Salsa Competition”, and the “Pumpkin Pie bakeoff”. In addition to bragging rights, prizes typically include Blue Ribbons and $25 - $50 gift cards for first place, and Red Ribbons and $10 - $25 gift cards for second place.
- Casual Fridays: Most Salem locations enjoy Casual Fridays, where jeans and comfort are welcome.
- Top Sales "Presidents Club" Awards: Top salespeople across the company are eligible for the President’s Club award for achieving their budget. The salesperson with the highest percentage of new business in their division is awarded the CEO Circle. The 2016 CEO Circle winners were invited, along with a guest, to California for a 3 night expense paid event.
- Summer Picnics: Salem Media Group celebrates with a summer picnic, in which family and friends are invited to enjoy a day of great food, fun and games. Past locations include the beach, local parks, Universal Studios, and the Zoo.
- Christmas Parties: Salem celebrates Christmas in a variety of ways across the country, from lunch or dinner at local restaurants or hotels to concerts featuring some of our on air artists. Giveaways and prizes are quite common... some recent examples include a family four pack of tickets to an NFL game; family four pack of tickets to Disney; gift cards in a variety of amounts from $10 - $100; or the most coveted prizes... extra days off!
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $29,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Board Operator|| $89,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Account Executive|
| 50% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 5% of salary||68% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Employees who qualify for the Wellness Discount.)|
| 68% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Employees who qualify for the Wellness Discount.)|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 20 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 20 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (2% use it)
- Telecommute option (10% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (2% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (We offer free snacks and beverages, onsite package/mailing services, free or discounted tickets for events, fitness classes, onsite car wash services, and subsidized public transportation.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|30 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
- Sr VP Of Human Resources is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
How to Get Hired
We asked Salem Media Group for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Prospective employees that have a passion for radio, web development, or the content that is on any of our platforms usually translates to a great fit.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Show us what you will bring to the team that we may not already have.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always looking for candidates in sales and promotions, in most of our markets.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our website at www.salemmedia.com/careers to learn more about potential positions, and then take some time to review our website to learn what we do...
| 150 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 1% Job Growth|
| 29 Average applicants per opening|| 11,927 Total job applicants|
| 6% New hires by employee referrals|| 8% Openings filled by current employees|
| 88 Recent graduates hired|| 10% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 24% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|