What You Should Know
Colleagues at RSG not only enjoy intellectually challenging work, but a caring environment full of camaraderie. One employee says RSG is especially notable for its “bright, committed staff.” People here are “genuine and alive,” according to another team member. Ninety-six percent of employees agree people care about each other.
The company is 100 percent employee-owned, which means colleagues are invested in helping each other succeed. One employee says that team members “always have each other’s backs, and are always willing to jump in to help others who are overloaded.”
RSG provides plenty of time for employees to connect outside of work, whether it’s at their annual summer bash, regular gatherings on Thursday afternoons, or through community service projects in their local communities, for which the company provides 8 hours of paid time off to volunteer.
The company wants employees to focus on doing their best work possible, giving employees a high degree of flexibility regarding when and where they work. Employees agree this is one of the greatest strengths at RSG: nearly 9 in 10 say they’re able to take time off work when they think it’s necessary. “It’s fantastic for those of us with families,” says one. Employees feel empowered to get their work done the way that works best for them, with 96 percent agreeing that management trusts them to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
Beyond enjoying a flexible workplace, staffers are also encouraged to dress casually and bring their dogs to work (where possible), making the workday a little more stress-free. Nine in ten employees agree that they can be themselves at RSG: “This is the first place I have ever worked where getting the work done is more important than how you dress,” says one employee. “That’s a really nice feeling.”
Employees noted that management’s willingness to listen to feedback is a great strength while the company is expanding: one staffer said that leadership is “being thoughtful about corporate culture and how that may change with growth.” Another employee added that they “appreciate the self-awareness and openness to improving.”
Overall, the tight-knit team at RSG appreciates its warm, flexible environment, run by leaders that care what they have to say. “Everyone is friendly and passionate about what they do,” one employee says, summarizing the common refrain.
What Employees Say
Management recognizes honest mistakes as part of doing business.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People care about each other here.
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
What They Do
We asked RSG to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
RSG creatively applies state-of-the-art analytics and data modeling to transportation planning, market strategy, environmental management, and custom software development—helping organizations make critical decisions with confidence. We are rooted in academic rigor and inspired by employee ownership.
About this Company
| Website: www.rsginc.com|| Industry: Other|
| US Headquarters: White River Junction, Vermont|| US Sites: 9|
| Major Locations: Burlington, Vermont; Chicago, Illinois; Arlington, Virginia; Salt Lake City, Utah; San Diego, California; Portland, Oregon; Evansville, Indiana|| US Employees: 108|
| US Revenues: $17 million|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1986|
Perks and Programs
We asked RSG to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Employee Ownership: RSG is 100% employee-owned (as an ESOP) which means each employee has a voice and a stake in the company's success. Each year RSG distributes shares of the company to each employee. Vesting increases each year until the employee becomes fully vested after 6 years.
- Lunch Seminar: RSG hosts weekly seminars which include a free lunch and opportunities to socialize with colleagues and share information. Presentation and discussion topics may be a business update, a spotlight on a particular project, thoughts on a specific topic, or a talk from an outside speaker.
- Informal Offices: No stiff dress code and fancy talk around here. RSG's offices are relaxed including casual dress, open doors and dogs (where possible).
- Flexible Hours & Locations: RSGers are smart and responsible. It is expected that colleagues will get the job done and get it done right, so they can work when and where is most productive. RSG provides the resources to do it like VPN, laptops, and onsite showers.
- Community Involvement: RSG enables its employees to dedicate time and money to improve our communities. Each employee is given eight hours every year to volunteer in their community. RSG organizes events such as food bank outings, holiday helpers, home building, charity race volunteering and other events where employees can work together to support their communities. In addition, employees vote on which community organizations receive funds from RSGs corporate giving pool.
- Paid Time Off: Our time-off policy is generous and flexible so that employees actually use their earned time off. RSG’s policy includes: • Pooled PTO which includes time-off formerly categorized as vacation, holiday and personal • Paid professional development time • Paid community volunteer time • 4-week paid parental leave
- Commuter Benefits: Having a short and enjoyable trip to work not only benefits the commuter, but also the environment. RSG seeks to improve RSGers’ commute to work with the following benefits: • Offices are located in downtowns with access to public transportation • Showers are available in most offices which encourage biking, running, walking to work • Flex schedules allow RSGers to work from home, when applicable • Vehicle reimbursement allowances toward a high mileage vehicle are offered to encourage ownership of fuel efficient vehicles • Down payment benefit is offered to new homeowners who purchase a home close to work (or will commute or who commits to commute to the office via transit or carpool) • Cash parking buyouts encourage non-SOV commuting
- Party Time: We love the work we do, but we like to kick up our heels a bit, too. RSG hosts both a summer party and a holiday party at each office. In addition, RSG hosts Thursday Afternoon Gatherings (TAGs) for all employees and Associate Nights for junior staff. We recently celebrated our 30th anniversary with simultaneous parties in each of our offices.
- RSG Snack Stash: Each office is equipped with a “snack stash” which includes a variety of healthy and indulgent snacks for hungry colleagues.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $45,625 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Accounting Administrator|| $68,780 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Consultant|
| 4% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 90% of an employee's salary||90% Company-paid health coverage for employees (Full-time permanent)|
| 90% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (Full-time permanent)|| 75% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 20 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $2,000 College Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock ownership plan
- Pre-tax savings account
- Long-term care insurance to employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- On-site package/mailing service
- Free beverages during the day
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 23 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 18 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 5 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 3 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (95% use it)
- Phased retirement planning
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||20 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|20 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||20 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents||20 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $24,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Recruiter is accountable to formal diversity goals for employee recruitment and retention
- 12 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from RSG employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"One of the things that has always struck me as unique about RSG is the culture: everyone is so friendly and passionate about what they do, benefits are fantastic, and management is open to new ideas, even from junior staff."
"We have great flexibility in terms of being able to set our schedules and work from home on a regular basis which is fantastic for those of us with families. I usually get to eat lunch with my kids at least a couple days a week, which is priceless."
"RSG hosts informal yearly gatherings that reflects on its origins as a tight-knit and intimate group. Staff and their families are included in hikes, picnics, and talent shows and is a great way to bond beyond the office."
"Leadership listens carefully and sincerely considers suggestions that people make from anyplace in the organization."
"I appreciate the self awareness and openness to improving; this allows the business to respond to the dynamic and organic nature of growing companies."
"RSG values employees who are forward-thinking as well as those who have expertise in established practices. The balance of tried-and-true methods with cutting edge development makes RSG a place where all employees, no matter their role or seniority, feel they can contribute their insight and ideas to a project. RSG is not afraid of progressing and improving its practices in any division, and senior management is always willing to listen to suggestions throughout the company in order to accomplish this."
"Employees at all levels, with the support and approval of their managers, are able to take advantage of creating their own hours and working from home and needed and appropriate. This makes accomplishing other ongoing life needs such as doctor's appointments, exercise, and personal travel easier to fit in to the work schedule while still being able to produce work that is on time and of high quality."
"The level of clear communication is excellent, and the time dedicated to informing the company as a whole on current events that relate to RSG, the status of financial and corporate standings, and good team-building fun events is unlike any other company I've worked for (which is about a dozen)."
"There is an open offer for anyone to come up with new culture ideas, initiatives, social and community efforts, which engages us with others in the company who we may not work with often, and also gets us out into the community frequently.
For example, we had a HUGE turnout for Green-up Day to clean up our town's worst road, we're tutoring elementary school children on computer programming, and we're always at the VT Food Bank. There are many, many more things like this."
"RSG offers a solid product, and the work feels meaningful and important. I'm happy with the company's mission and how it carries itself."
How to Get Hired
We asked RSG for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
RSG seeks candidates who are passionate about learning, team building and making positive contributions to our clients' projects, our communities and the environment. We look for strong quantitative skills and interest along with good communication and teamwork.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Candidates who grab our attention are those who are passionate about what they do and take initiative to apply creative problem solving. We find it helpful when candidates connect their education and experience to the open position and present a strong story about the value they will bring to RSG’s clients and community.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
RSG is always looking for innovative employees with quantitative and qualitative analytical expertise.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
To learn more about RSG, candidates should consider: > Reviewing the RSG website (www.rsginc.com) > Talking to us at events we attend (http://www.rsginc.com/events) or through organizations in which we participate (http://www.rsginc.com/associations) > Following RSG on social media, including Linkedln (http://www.linkedin.com/company/resource-systems-group), Twitter (@RSG_inc), and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/RSG-Resource-Systems-Group-1 nc). To get an application process started for a specific position or general employment at RSG, apply at www.rsginc.com/join-us.
| 13 Job openings forecast for coming year|| -1% Job Growth|
| 67 Average applicants per opening|| 1,950 Applications received|
| 18 Positions filled in past year|| 15 New positions created|
| 1 Jobs filled by current employees|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|
| 6 New graduates hired|| 15% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|