What You Should Know
More than 8 in 10 employees at this not-for-profit life insurer say the organization is a great place to work, praising Royal Neighbors' commitment to philanthropy and its caring, appreciative atmosphere.
Royal Neighbors of America was founded in 1895 as a society promoting the welfare of women and children. More than 100 years later, employees still love the company’s dedication to volunteerism. “RNA actually lives its mission every day,” says one staffer. “The company has meaning and purpose, instead of being solely focused on the bottom line and profits.” Ninety-six percent of employees feel good about the ways Royal Neighbors contributes to the community. The company offers volunteering opportunities during work hours, rewards employees for participating, and has issued grants to some employees’ favorite charities. “I am always proud to say I am an employee of RNA,” says one staffer. “Our impact in communities is a major factor in my happiness as an employee here.”
Team members also love how caring the company is with its own people. “Royal Neighbors treats their employees well and cares about their well-being,” a staffer commented. “Employees are recognized for a job well done and shown appreciation for the work they do.” Eight in 10 staffers say everyone has an opportunity to get special recognition, including through programs such as peer-to-peer “Shout Outs” where employees recognize each other. Employees say they enjoy the fun events Royal Neighbors hosts, with 94 percent reporting the team celebrates special occasions at work, which include doing origami, yoga, lunch and learns, holiday parties, potlucks and more.
Employees care passionately about their work and some would like more influence over the decisions made in the organization. They commented that management has made improvements to the culture based on employee feedback, including creating culture teams and adjusting PTO policies. “Most people in the organization are extremely invested in Royal Neighbors and this isn't just punching a ticket or working for a paycheck,” said one staffer. “It makes the environment a fun and challenging one in which to work.”
As one staffer summarizes, thanks to the company’s philanthropy, culture of recognition and celebration and employees’ passion for their organization, people at Royal Neighbors “believe in the company and that the work they do makes a difference.”
What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
People celebrate special events around here.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked Royal Neighbors of America to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
As a not-for-profit life insurer, our philanthropic programs also provide opportunities for women and families to give back, connect, and empower others in their communities or affinity groups.
About this Company
| Website: www.royalneighbors.org|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: Rock Island, Illinois, 61201|| US Sites: 2|
| Major Locations: Mesa, Arizona, 85206|| US Employees: 133|
| US Revenues: $155 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $155 million|
| Corporate Structure: Non-Profit|| Founded: 1895|
Perks and Programs
We asked Royal Neighbors of America to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Employee Bonus Program: The Employee Bonus Program allows eligible employees to earn monetary bonus rewards based on the success of the organization. The bonus amount is correlated to position grade and contingent upon the organization meeting plan objectives. Bonus rewards are distributed to eligible recipients on or before March 15.
- Shout Out Program: This employee to employee recognition program provides an opportunity to recognize peers for going above and beyond, helping out a coworker, putting in some extra hours, and anything that brings value to the team. It also encourages employees to say “Thanks”! The names of Shout Out recipients and those submitting a Shout Out are placed in a random drawing to receive 25 points to spend in the My Royal Rewards program.
- Make It Happen: The Make It Happen Program recognizes individual employees as Employee of the Quarter and teams for Team of the Quarter based on employee nominations accepted throughout each quarter. The Employee of the Quarter receives 100 points to spend in the My Royal Rewards program, a corporate apparel item, five casual day stickers, a premier parking spot, and placed in the running for the Employee of the Year recognition. Members of the Team of the Quarter each receive 25 points to spend in the My Royal Rewards program, five casual day stickers, and treated to a team lunch.
- Employee of the Year: The nominations of the employees recognized as Employee of the Quarter are reviewed by an external panel of judges. The winner is announced during an exciting and enthusiastic organization-wide Town Hall meeting and is invited as a guest to the annual Royal Neighbors Agent Trip in a luxurious resort destination, $500 in spending money, an engraved award, and publicity throughout social media and local media outlets.
- Buddy Program: The Buddy Program provides support to a new employee by pairing them with a veteran employee who is interested in helping the new employee succeed. The new hire is treated to lunch and receives a special welcome gift from the veteran employee. The Buddies continue to foster a relationship by spending break times or lunch together once a week during the first 90 days of employment.
- Step Challenge Program: The Step Challenge Program engages employees to participate in fitness challenges and encourages a healthy competition between coworkers. Employees may choose to participate at various skill levels over varying challenge timeframes and track their activity through wearable fitness tracking devices. Based on the various challenges, winning participants receive 5 to 100 points to spend in the My Royal Rewards program, movie theatre tickets, and casual day stickers.
- Employee Health Fair: Royal Neighbors is committed to promoting health and wellness to its employees. The annual Employee Health Fair offers employees the opportunity to meet with local vendors on a variety of health and wellness topics, enjoy a massage, get a free flu vaccine, participate in a free confidential bio-metric screening, and win health and wellness prizes for participation.
- My Royal Rewards: All employees need to know their efforts are not only noticed but appreciated and awarded, too! Employees can receive awards from 5 to 250+ points through various activities and recognition events. Points can be saved or redeemed immediately on a variety of name brand items that fit all employees’ diverse lifestyles.
- Employee Service Recognition: The Employee Service Recognition event annually recognizes employees who are celebrating milestone service anniversaries with the organization. Employees are recognized and awarded for 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, even 50 years and beyond service to the organization. Employees celebrating 5, 10, and 20 years are awarded 50 to 250 points to spend in the My Royal Rewards program. Employees celebrating 30, 40, and 50 years are awarded with specially selected gifts valued from $500 to $1,000.
- Volunteer Incentive Program: The Volunteer Incentive Program encourages employees to track and log their individual volunteer hours on a quarterly basis. Each quarter a name is randomly selected to receive 25 points to spend in the My Royal Rewards program. On an annual basis, each employee who logs hours will have their name placed in a random drawing where two employees will be selected to donate $250 to their charity of choice.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|89% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 83% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| $2,000 Average Tuition Reimbursement|| $5,250 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 29 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 23 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (80% use it)
- Telecommute option (10% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (10% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Onsite Amenities (Coffee
Weekly yoga class
Quarterly massage therapy
Massage chair available at all times
Ping pong, pool table, bags game)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|60 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)||60 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 4 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $11,024,043 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| Facility Manager Leads environmental impact team|| Third-Party Conducted Environmental impact audit|
| Yes Recycling program|
- HR Business Partner is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- 1 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Royal Neighbors of America employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"Everyone-from CEO to front line employee-is behind the mission. I have worked for many companies where the CEO blows smoke about mission, values, and the like. At Royal Neighbors, our CEO is a true believer. When I get the chance to attend a talk given by her, or talk to her one on one, I always come away encouraged and invigorated. She inspires me to push myself to help the organization succeed in our mission. "
"After working in other organizations clearly Royal Neighbors is head and shoulders above others in employee relations, activities and benefits. I can tell when chatting with friends and neighbors that Royal Neighbors has a great reputation in the community, and that makes me feel good about working here. I really enjoy being able to volunteer on paid time to causes I care about, and then having the opportunity to record the hours and get recognition for my efforts. Its also very satisfying to hear about all the good that our member benefits and volunteers are doing throughout the country."
"I think this organization is making real strides to be a wonderful place to work. Flexible schedules, understanding that employees have family needs to take care of. My management staff truly cares about me as an individual and this means a lot."
"The organization is very generous in understanding personal challenges of employees, showing empathy, and working with employees on a case by case basis. Things are not taken as black and white-Royal Neighbors is not rigid."
"Our commitment to supporting women and various organizations is always part of our mind-set and thinking as we consider new opportunities or challenges"
"The culture in the organization from top to bottom is exceptional. They have spent a great deal of time and energy to ensure that newly hired individuals are not only talented but also are a great fit with the existing culture. As a newer employee this stands out to me. In general, everyone across the board is friendly, hard working, and willing to help out in whatever manner necessary."
"Management does a very good job of listening to employee needs. If I cannot make a deadline with the resources I've been given, if I tell management, I'll either get more resources or be able to move deadlines if at all possible. It's a very respectful and reasonable dynamic that I appreciate very much."
"RNA has successfully created a culture of inclusion where I believe everyone plays an important role. There is an atmosphere of free and open communication. People count."
"We live as an organization providing insurance with a difference through our volunteer service and donations to projects that are important to the Society. This can be seen in projects such as MyHopeBag.org, where employees and Senior Staff have provided support through the years. It is easy to transfer those feelings to the work that because it is more than just insurance we provide. It is helping make a difference to many, one person at a time."
"I feel this company is a great place to because of how well they encourage social good and how they help employees get involved. I really like how they treat employees like we are a part of a big community and we each have a role in how they company runs."
How to Get Hired
We asked Royal Neighbors of America for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Key characteristics include a desire to learn, grow, and be innovative; demonstrate a passion to give back to the community and a desire to make a difference both in the workplace and in the community; and individuals who are motivated to achieve, both individually and also within a team.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Candidates can gain our attention by displaying leadership characteristics and how they align and support our philanthropic mission. Prospective employees can learn more about our unique organization and employee value proposition through our website (www.royalneighbors.org), Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. When submitting an online resume, candidates should state their career goals and the specific attributes they can offer to assist the organization in reaching its goals and objectives.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
This year we are focused on Marketing/Public Relations, Direct to Consumer Distribution, Predictive Modeling, and Data Analytics. We are always looking for people with strong experience in service-related positions such as customer support representatives.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Candidates are encouraged to visit our career page on our website (www.royalneighbors.org) and to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to find out more about the exciting careers and benefits available at our organization.
| 10 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| -1% Job Growth|
| 9 Average applicants per opening|| 272 Total job applicants|
| 50% New hires by employee referrals|| 50% Openings filled by current employees|
| 1 Recent graduates hired|| 9% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|