Error

MedKeeper's 30 or so employees collaborate in a warm, informal environment where people report good work-life balance.

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 25 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 6.53. It was published on Sep 15, 2014. 2578 Visitors

What You Should Know

MedKeeper's 30 or so employees are proud of their technology and quick to welcome new people on board. This group collaborates in a warm, informal environment where team members say they each take on a significant share of the responsibility. In turn, the company provides them with a minimum of three weeks of vacation, telecommuting options and opportunities to arrange work hours around family and personal obligations. The vast majority of employees also report that managers take an interest in their personal well-being and instill them with confidence in this fast-growing company's future. MedKeeper will appeal to technology professionals who value work-life balance and a small organization where they can make an impact. A share of employees say training opportunities could be more robust, however. One team member describes the company as "uniquely family-friendly." The employee adds, "They understand the balance between work and family, including allowing employees to work from home when children are sick and taking time for special events."

WHAT THEY DO

MedKeeper creates cloud-based mobile applications to help health care professionals better manage pharmacies and track medications. 

Website: http://medkeeper.com/ US Headquarters: Westminster, Colorado
US Sites: 2 Major Locations: Colorado; Pittsburgh
US Employees: 28 US revenues: $4.5 million
Worldwide revenues: $4.5 million Founded: 2001
Industry: Information Technology

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At MedKeeper, 77 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 16 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 93 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

MedKeeper employees design and market mobile-friendly, cloud-based software for pharmacy managers and other health care professionals. The company has approximately 28 employees in the United States, where they operate two locations.

A large majority of employees (92 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization and that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (88 percent), their work at MedKeeper is more than just a job: The opportunity to create innovative solutions that help medical facilities run more effectively provides special meaning.

While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at MedKeeper, 83 percent of employees say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, on par with what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 40 hours
  • Managers and employees meet regularly to reflect on employees' skill development and aspirations for the future. 
Everyone is respected for their unique talents and contributions to the organization, whether it's part of their current position, a needed position or someone else's primary position. When someone shows a strength in a specific area, they are complimented for it, and often it will become a larger focus for them.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At MedKeeper, 88 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 6 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Fun and Celebrations

  • The MedKeeper team is a small but social group. The company hosts an annual holiday party and regular potluck lunches. Outside the office, employees often gather for picnics and baseball games. 

Caring and Support

Employees are free to work from home and adjust their hours to meet personal and family needs.

People celebrate special events around here.
84%
 
The company is family-oriented. They truly care about employees as a whole and about the employees' family situations. The company understands that flexibility for children's needs is imperative (school programs, doctor's appointments) and is supportive by being flexible with schedules and time off. This understanding is unusual and makes anyone I speak to covet the ability to handle family life while balancing work, based on my own discretion and circumstances.

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At MedKeeper, 83 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 11 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

Great pay and benefits.

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

$75,000
Average salary and additional cash compensation for IT
$75,000
Average salary and additional cash compensation for IT
8%
401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 2% of an employee's contribution
80%
Company-paid health coverage for employees
80%
Company-paid health coverage for dependents

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Deferred profit-sharing plan

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Free snacks during the day
  • Subsidized public transportation
  • Free beverages during the day

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

25 days
Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
30 days
Job protected leave maternity provided above and beyond FMLA
15 days
Paid leave for adoptive parents

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Unpaid sabbaticals
  • Telecommute option (100% use it)
  • Flexible schedule (100% use it)
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
96%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
96%
 
They are uniquely family friendly. They understand the balance between work and family, including allowing employees to work from home when children are sick and taking time for special events.

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At MedKeeper, 90 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 5 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

MedKeeper's mission is to provide mobile software and other solutions for busy health care professionals. The company has nearly 1,000 hospital customers and was included on the 2013 Inc. 5,000 list of fastest growing American companies. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
96%
 
The work we do is unique. I don't think I could leave and do this work anywhere else. It's rewarding and challenging.

Supporting the Community

  • $10,000 in philanthropic donations in the last year
  • MedKeeper supports various health-related organizations through fundraising and volunteer activities. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
72%
 

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At MedKeeper, 88 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 6 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

MedKeeper's small size and open culture make it easy for employees to stay informed. A significant majority (92 percent) agree that they can ask their managers any reasonable question and get a straight answer. The same percentage also feel that their managers are approachable and easy to talk with, and that they genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas. More than eight out of 10 employees agree that their leaders make their expectations clear and keep employees informed about important issues and changes. 

The amount of communication between upper management and the front line employees is impressive. The company gives you the feel that there is no disconnect between the top and bottom of the team.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At MedKeeper, 88 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 6 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

MedKeeper employees widely appreciate the respectful atmosphere and team pride their leaders encourage at the company. Team members describe an office environment where people are valued as individuals and encouraged to contribute to the company. An overwhelming majority of employees (96 percent) feel that their managers show a sincere interest in them as people. And the same percentage also say their leaders are ethical and that their actions match their words. At the same time, more than nine in 10 employees agree that their managers have a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. 

I love the fact the management trusts us to get our work done and allows us the freedom to work from home and take vacation as needed.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Work-Life Balance: Employees say they have the freedom to work from home or adjust their hours at the office, as needed. Those with children or other family needs enjoy the flexibility to work around their doctor's appointments, school concerts and other events. The company also offers three weeks of vacation to people in their first year of employment.
  • Employee Development: Team members schedule regular meetings with their managers to discuss performance, skill development and further career aspirations. 
  • Social Events: Employees get together for picnics, baseball games and holiday parties, in addition to regular potluck lunches in the office.
  • Health Coverage: The company pays 80 percent of the health insurance premiums for both employees and their dependents.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from MedKeeper employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"A lot of smart people working on a great product."

"A great company to work for with great management that knows where it's going, has a plan and is working hard to get there. I'm looking forward to working here for a long time."

"Flexible with work schedule when necessary, and very open work environment at the office. Management works in same workspace as other employees – makes them very easily approachable."

"Freedom provided to me as an employee to make the right decisions for me and for the company. The ability to have a flexible schedule where I can balance my own work/life needs. The ability to work from home most of the time. The ability to have my ideas heard and to talk through them with my peers."

"Great benefits, relaxed work environment and flexible managers that are always willing to let you take off time if needed."

"Flexible hours and can work from home."

"Trust and autonomy."

How to Get Hired

We asked MedKeeper for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

MedKeeper provides a competitive salary and benefits package that includes three weeks of vacation in the first year, company-paid health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability coverage, 401K, flexible spending accounts and an exciting and casual work environment. To apply for one of our open positions please send an email with your resume attached and the name of the position referenced.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

We are always looking for talented IT professionals!

Hiring Outlook

17%Job Growth 5Average number of applicants per opening
25Applicants in past year 5Openings in past year
25%New hires by employee referrals

Related Companies