Rancho Cordova proves that it's possible to enter public service without sacrificing the office perks and innovative culture of the private sector.

EMPLOYEE RATINGS

     

This review is based on 63 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 3.67. It was published on Sep 10, 2014. 5808 Visitors

What You Should Know

The City of Rancho Cordova proves that it's possible to enter public service without sacrificing the office perks and innovative culture of the private sector. City Hall in this Sacramento, Calif., suburb features standing desks, celebratory lunches, an employee gym and tablets for any employee who offers three ways it will enhance his performance. Managers host regular forums for employees to pitch ideas on how to make the organization better. But what really stirs these city employees' pride is the work this collegial group accomplishes for Rancho Cordova residents: 95 percent say they feel good about the ways they contribute to the community. The flat structure may feel limiting to some, but it's ideal for those passionate about local government and eager to try new approaches to their work. "I worked most of my career in the private sector and worked for major corporations," one employee says. "Never had an environment like this one. This is not a workplace. It is a family of passionate people with similar goals to make things for the community we serve better."

WHAT THEY DO

The City of Rancho Cordova, Calif., serves more than 67,000 residents and businesses that provide 50,000 jobs in the City, contributes to community events and oversees basic municipal services such as business and residential development, street maintenance and paving, solid waste collection and environmental oversight, saftey services, affordable housing and neighborhood services.  The City works closely with special districts responsible for parks, water, fire services and schools.

Website: www.cityofranchocordova.org US Headquarters: Rancho Cordova, California
US Sites: 3 Major Locations: Rancho Cordova, CA
US Employees: 69 US Revenues: $84.47 million
Founded: 2003 Industry: Social Services and Government Agencies

City of Rancho Cordova has been awarded:

Best Small Workplaces 2014 (ranked 21)

Best Small Workplaces 2013 (ranked 12)

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected City of Rancho Cordova employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. An average of 85 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 11 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

City of Rancho  Cordova employees help run the city. The municipality has approximately 69 employees in the United States, where they operate three offices.

Most employees (92 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and a large majority (94 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For most employees (89 percent), their work for the city is more than just a job: The chance to help residents lead safe, healthy and rewarding lives provides special meaning.

At the City of Rancho Cordova, 94 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $2,500
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 40 hours
  • The City of Rancho Cordova invests in developing employee leadership skills by sending employees each year to CEPO – Continuing Education for Public Officials. This program involves a week-long commitment each year for three years where participants immerse themselves in self-exploration of their leadership style, leadership skills development and relationship-building at a retreat site.
The city invests in its employees by encouraging them to attend conferences and workshops, which will increase their skill set. The city does monthly events, which not only serve to highlight employees, but also to let everyone know what new things are happening in the city.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

An average of 90 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 8 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

While some might not associate City Hall with an innovative work environment, the City of Rancho Cordova is testing out standing desks and a treadmill desk to help create a healthier space for employees. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • On alternating months, different departments host luncheons and dessert gatherings to celebrate employee birthdays. The hosting department also organizes team-building activities at the event. Additionally, managers take teams out for lunch or ice cream to celebrate accomplishments.

Caring and Support

  • The human resources department recently developed a donated-leave bank for employees whose families have experienced catastrophic illness. To support one another when a co-worker is seriously ill, employees have pulled together funds, delivered food and supplies, sent flowers and driven co-workers to medical appointments.
People celebrate special events around here.
98%
 
It is a family here and people genuinely care about each other. We work hard and we play hard.

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

An average of 80 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 15 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

We are encouraged to provide ideas on how to do business better. Many of those ideas are implemented. We are rewarded for our good work on a regular basis.

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

$64,000
Average salary and additional cash compensation for Code Enforcement Officer
$113,000
Average salary and additional cash compensation for Senior Civil Engineer
3%
401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 3% of an employee's contribution
100%
Company-paid health coverage for employees
85%
Company-paid health coverage for dependents
20 hours
Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health-care coverage

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Free snacks during the day
  • Personal concierge service
  • Fitness classes
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Banking

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

12 days
Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
130 days
Job Protected Leave maternity provided above and beyond FMLA
 

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Flexible Schedule (40% use it)
  • Elder-care Resources
  • Compressed Work Weeks (5% use it)
  • Lactation Rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
94%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
81%
 
There is a concrete understanding that we bring a "whole person to work" -- in our policies, our culture, the way we treat each other. That means that sometimes we have child care or adult parent issues and our co-workers may take a bigger part of the team effort to carry things. It also means that my personal health-care challenge of the last year could have been devastating but the support of the people I work with, the tools available to help me cope and the continuing benefits allowed me to concentrate on my health while still being part of the City family.

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments

ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS

  • Blood Pressure Screening
  • Fitness Center
  • Flu Shots

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

An average of 92 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 7 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 99 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

The City of Rancho Cordova was incorporated in 2003 and takes an entrepreneurial approach to city government, allowing employees to collaborate and innovate in a variety of ways. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
95%
 
This city has built partnerships with other community agencies, and this allows our organization to help everyone together reach their goals.

Supporting the Community

  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $795,790
  • The Employee Activities Team helps coordinate numerous charitable events throughout the year. These support the American Cancer Society, United Way, the Cordova Community Food Locker, a high school scholarship fund and other local nonprofits. Additionally, several photographers on staff have held family photo night fundraisers to raise money to support local food banks during the holidays. In 2011, 2012 and 2013, city employees participated in more than 40 community events and fundraisers.  
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
95%
 
When someone in our organization and/or community is in need, we raise money to help them because ... we are in this together.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

An average of 83 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 13 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

The City of Rancho Cordova operates across three locations and employs people in administrative, finance, economic development, IT, law enforcement and other roles.

Most employees say they have access to the information they need. Eighty-four percent say management keeps them informed about important issues and changes, while 86 percent say they can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer. Likewise, 86 percent say that management is approachable and easy to talk with.

Ideas are shared freely without the concern of negative repercussions throughout the organization. Management has even realized that they can be a little busy and set aside time specifically to be available to new ideas of the organization. It is a highly innovative group.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

An average of 80 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 15 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

City of Rancho Cordova employees widely appreciate the strong vision for the agency and professional responsibility their leaders encourage. Given the way that many municipalities across the country are dealing with budget shortfalls, employees' confidence is especially striking. Ninety-four percent of employees say management is competent at running the city, and the same number says management is honest and ethical in its business practices. Further, nine out of 10 employees believe management has a clear view of where the agency is going and how to get there. Ninety percent also say that management would lay people off only as a last resort.

Management prepares us to work in the next position's capacity, to be able to be competitive within the region when positions open up. We are encouraged to reach out and become a regional leader and to innovate without facing any bureaucracy or red tape.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Office of New Ideas: To ensure that employees have an opportunity to share ideas or suggestions to improve organizational effectiveness, the Office of New Ideas is open twice monthly to employees and gives them a chance to present ideas before a five-member advisory team. Often, employees are empowered to identify an implementation plan, given resources and asked to work with the appropriate staff to move the idea forward.
  • Wellness Program: The City of Rancho Cordova's wellness program encourages employees to exercise at lunch by walking, riding bikes, playing racquetball, hitting the Ping Pong table or enjoying other physical activities. Employees are allowed an additional 30 minutes twice a week at lunch if they use it to exercise with each other and build teamwork. They also have access to a gym with equipment updated based on employee feedback.
  • The Employee Activities Team: The Employee Activities Team plans events including an annual employee/family picnic or outing to the baseball park. It also puts on a Kids Day event at City Hall so that employees’ children get to see where their parents work and learn about what they do. Every few years, the team organizes a spaghetti feed and talent show to help raise money for a high school scholarship fund. The City of Rancho Cordova also orchestrated a flag ceremony when a military employee was called to active duty. 
  • Future Leaders and Innovators Team (FLITe): FLITe has engaged a group of up-and-coming leaders to contribute to the organization in new ways, to further develop their leadership roles and to foster greater collaboration among departments. This team helps the city show employees it is making an investment in their futures beyond the job they were hired to perform. 
  • Discounted Room Rentals: The City of Rancho Cordova offers discounted community room rentals to employees for weddings, family reunions, birthday parties and other events.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from City of Rancho Cordova employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"This city truly cares about its employees and wants them to be happy and feel that they are valued."

"Communities involvement, employee empowerment, Ping Pong tournaments, monthly employee birthday celebrations; bi-monthly all-hands luncheons to celebrate birthdays; new employee introduction at City Council meetings; Office of New Ideas where employees can bring new ideas to the management team that can help the city save money or grow or anything that would help the city; year-end bonus for a public agency."

"The ability to work in a matrix with other colleagues in different departments. The ability to create your own project, just as long as it pertains to your department and well-being of the city."

"The city leadership truly cares about the people implementing the mission of Rancho Cordova. Staff are continuously developed, recognized for accomplishments, empowered and trusted to make good decisions, encouraged to collaborate, have fun and identify opportunities that will make us better as a team and more effective in responding to customer issues or solving problems with the community. We have an inspiring mission to serve as catalysts, facilitators, brokers and educators, because government cannot do everything for everyone. This helps us really look creatively at how we partner with others to make the great things happen. It feels so refreshing to work on this wonderful team!"

"I hear from citizens quite often - so rare to see people appreciate governmental employees."

"One of many things that makes our organization unique compared to other government agencies is that each employee is empowered to make decisions to be effective and efficient in their jobs. Employees are also empowered to make decisions, which helps eliminate the traditional bureaucracy in a traditional government agency. "

"The innovative environment allows staff to try new ways of doing things. This is highly unusual in a government environment."

"I love the birthday celebrations and all hands meeting that occur on a monthly basis. The City of Rancho Cordova is highly involved with the community and it truly shows through the residents and pride that is taken, not only with the city, but the volunteers and community in itself. They celebrate the holidays in fun ways and give us a week off during the Christmas holiday to spend time with our families and also take a much-needed break."

"The culture embraces creativity and supports the act of being creative - even if it isn't directly related to one's job. I believe that the organization recognizes that encouraging creativity and creative risk-taking helps foster an innovative and progressive-thinking workforce that puts solutions above problems. It also helps employees reach out beyond their job description and look for ways to improve processes and programs. They know that their creative efforts will be supported."

"I enjoy the wellness program that they do here. We are given access to a private gym that includes treadmills, bikes, free weights, elliptical machines and TVs. The room also has Ping Pong tables in which they hold Ping Pong tournaments against other companies. They also provide healthy snacks and water in the conference rooms for everyone."

"I know that I have a voice in as many opportunities and challenges I want to accept. The people I work with are dedicated and loyal to the citizens of Rancho Cordova and show this with volunteer efforts and fundraising to support local organizations, in addition to doing the job."

How to Get Hired

We asked City of Rancho Cordova for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

The city seeks candidates with the right attitude to strive for excellence and qualities that support our positive, collaborative and accountable culture. We seek individuals who will be adaptive to a regularly changing program, because we aren't satisfied with the status quo. To enjoy the work culture, we seek individuals who are up for the challenge of creating something different: people who think beyond the traditional boundaries of "how it’s always been done," who want to make a difference, and who can have fun doing it. As a small employer, we look for a record of dependability, creativity and willingness to work hard. In summary, key characteristics include: collaborative, accountable, team-oriented, passionate for the work, driven to excel, eager to create something different and innovate, adaptive, receptive to change, curious and shows initiative.

What You Should Know

The City of Rancho Cordova proves that it's possible to enter public service without sacrificing the office perks and innovative culture of the private sector. City Hall in this Sacramento, Calif., suburb features standing desks, celebratory lunches, an employee gym and tablets for any employee who offers three ways it will enhance his performance. Managers host regular forums for employees to pitch ideas on how to make the organization better. But what really stirs these city employees' pride is the work this collegial group accomplishes for Rancho Cordova residents: 95 percent say they feel good about the ways they contribute to the community. The flat structure may feel limiting to some, but it's ideal for those passionate about local government and eager to try new approaches to their work. "I worked most of my career in the private sector and worked for major corporations," one employee says. "Never had an environment like this one. This is not a workplace. It is a family of passionate people with similar goals to make things for the community we serve better."

WHAT THEY DO

The City of Rancho Cordova, Calif., serves more than 67,000 residents and businesses. They provide 50,000 jobs contributing to community events and oversee basic municipal services such as business and residential development, street maintenance and paving, solid waste collection and environmental oversight, saftey services, affordable housing and neighborhood services.  The City works closely with special districts responsible for parks, water, fire services and schools.

Website: www.cityofranchocordova.org US Headquarters: Rancho Cordova, California
US Sites: 3 Major Locations: Rancho Cordova, CA
US Employees: 69 US Revenues: $84.47 million
Founded: 2003 Industry: Social Services and Government Agencies

City of Rancho Cordova has been awarded:

Best Small Workplaces 2014 (ranked 21)

Best Small Workplaces 2013 (ranked 12)

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected City of Rancho Cordova employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. An average of 85 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 11 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

City of Rancho  Cordova employees help run the city. The municipality has approximately 69 employees in the United States, where they operate three offices.

Most employees (92 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and a large majority (94 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For most employees (89 percent), their work for the city is more than just a job: The chance to help residents lead safe, healthy and rewarding lives provides special meaning.

At the City of Rancho Cordova, 94 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $2,500
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 40 hours
  • The City of Rancho Cordova invests in developing employee leadership skills by sending employees each year to CEPO – Continuing Education for Public Officials. This program involves a week-long commitment each year for three years where participants immerse themselves in self-exploration of their leadership style, leadership skills development and relationship-building at a retreat site.
The city invests in its employees by encouraging them to attend conferences and workshops, which will increase their skill set. The city does monthly events, which not only serve to highlight employees, but also to let everyone know what new things are happening in the city.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

An average of 90 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 8 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

While some might not associate City Hall with an innovative work environment, the City of Rancho Cordova is testing out standing desks and a treadmill desk to help create a healthier space for employees. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • On alternating months, different departments host luncheons and dessert gatherings to celebrate employee birthdays. The hosting department also organizes team-building activities at the event. Additionally, managers take teams out for lunch or ice cream to celebrate accomplishments.

Caring and Support

  • The human resources department recently developed a donated-leave bank for employees whose families have experienced catastrophic illness. To support one another when a co-worker is seriously ill, employees have pulled together funds, delivered food and supplies, sent flowers and driven co-workers to medical appointments.
People celebrate special events around here.
98%
 
It is a family here and people genuinely care about each other. We work hard and we play hard.

Demographics

 

Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

An average of 80 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 15 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

We are encouraged to provide ideas on how to do business better. Many of those ideas are implemented. We are rewarded for our good work on a regular basis.

COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS

$64,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Code Enforcement Officer $113,000 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Senior Civil Engineer
3% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 3% of an employee's contribution 100% Company-paid health coverage for employees
85% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 20 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health-care coverage

COMPENSATION PROGRAMS

  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account

PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

  • Free snacks during the day
  • Personal concierge service
  • Fitness classes
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Banking

WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS

12 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment 130 days Job Protected Leave maternity provided above and beyond FMLA
 

WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS

  • Flexible Schedule (40% use it)
  • Elder-care Resources
  • Compressed Work Weeks (5% use it)
  • Lactation Rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
94%
 
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
81%
 
There is a concrete understanding that we bring a "whole person to work" -- in our policies, our culture, the way we treat each other. That means that sometimes we have child care or adult parent issues and our co-workers may take a bigger part of the team effort to carry things. It also means that my personal health-care challenge of the last year could have been devastating but the support of the people I work with, the tools available to help me cope and the continuing benefits allowed me to concentrate on my health while still being part of the City family.

HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS

  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments

ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS

  • Blood Pressure Screening
  • Fitness Center
  • Flu Shots

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

An average of 92 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 7 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 99 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

The City of Rancho Cordova was incorporated in 2003 and takes an entrepreneurial approach to city government, allowing employees to collaborate and innovate in a variety of ways. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
95%
 
This city has built partnerships with other community agencies, and this allows our organization to help everyone together reach their goals.

Supporting the Community

  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $795,790
  • The Employee Activities Team helps coordinate numerous charitable events throughout the year. These support the American Cancer Society, United Way, the Cordova Community Food Locker, a high school scholarship fund and other local nonprofits. Additionally, several photographers on staff have held family photo night fundraisers to raise money to support local food banks during the holidays. In 2011, 2012 and 2013, city employees participated in more than 40 community events and fundraisers.  
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
95%
 
When someone in our organization and/or community is in need, we raise money to help them because ... we are in this together.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

An average of 83 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 13 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

The City of Rancho Cordova operates across three locations and employs people in administrative, finance, economic development, IT, law enforcement and other roles.

Most employees say they have access to the information they need. Eighty-four percent say management keeps them informed about important issues and changes, while 86 percent say they can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer. Likewise, 86 percent say that management is approachable and easy to talk with.

Ideas are shared freely without the concern of negative repercussions throughout the organization. Management has even realized that they can be a little busy and set aside time specifically to be available to new ideas of the organization. It is a highly innovative group.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

An average of 80 percent of City of Rancho Cordova employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 15 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

City of Rancho Cordova employees widely appreciate the strong vision for the agency and professional responsibility their leaders encourage. Given the way that many municipalities across the country are dealing with budget shortfalls, employees' confidence is especially striking. Ninety-four percent of employees say management is competent at running the city, and the same number says management is honest and ethical in its business practices. Further, nine out of 10 employees believe management has a clear view of where the agency is going and how to get there. Ninety percent also say that management would lay people off only as a last resort.

Management prepares us to work in the next position's capacity, to be able to be competitive within the region when positions open up. We are encouraged to reach out and become a regional leader and to innovate without facing any bureaucracy or red tape.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Office of New Ideas: To ensure that employees have an opportunity to share ideas or suggestions to improve organizational effectiveness, the Office of New Ideas is open twice monthly to employees and gives them a chance to present ideas before a five-member advisory team. Often, employees are empowered to identify an implementation plan, given resources and asked to work with the appropriate staff to move the idea forward.
  • Wellness Program: The City of Rancho Cordova's wellness program encourages employees to exercise at lunch by walking, riding bikes, playing racquetball, hitting the Ping Pong table or enjoying other physical activities. Employees are allowed an additional 30 minutes twice a week at lunch if they use it to exercise with each other and build teamwork. They also have access to a gym with equipment updated based on employee feedback.
  • The Employee Activities Team: The Employee Activities Team plans events including an annual employee/family picnic or outing to the baseball park. It also puts on a Kids Day event at City Hall so that employees’ children get to see where their parents work and learn about what they do. Every few years, the team organizes a spaghetti feed and talent show to help raise money for a high school scholarship fund. The City of Rancho Cordova also orchestrated a flag ceremony when a military employee was called to active duty. 
  • Future Leaders and Innovators Team (FLITe): FLITe has engaged a group of up-and-coming leaders to contribute to the organization in new ways, to further develop their leadership roles and to foster greater collaboration among departments. This team helps the city show employees it is making an investment in their futures beyond the job they were hired to perform. 
  • Discounted Room Rentals: The City of Rancho Cordova offers discounted community room rentals to employees for weddings, family reunions, birthday parties and other events.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from City of Rancho Cordova employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"This city truly cares about its employees and wants them to be happy and feel that they are valued."

"Communities involvement, employee empowerment, Ping Pong tournaments, monthly employee birthday celebrations; bi-monthly all-hands luncheons to celebrate birthdays; new employee introduction at City Council meetings; Office of New Ideas where employees can bring new ideas to the management team that can help the city save money or grow or anything that would help the city; year-end bonus for a public agency."

"The ability to work in a matrix with other colleagues in different departments. The ability to create your own project, just as long as it pertains to your department and well-being of the city."

"The city leadership truly cares about the people implementing the mission of Rancho Cordova. Staff are continuously developed, recognized for accomplishments, empowered and trusted to make good decisions, encouraged to collaborate, have fun and identify opportunities that will make us better as a team and more effective in responding to customer issues or solving problems with the community. We have an inspiring mission to serve as catalysts, facilitators, brokers and educators, because government cannot do everything for everyone. This helps us really look creatively at how we partner with others to make the great things happen. It feels so refreshing to work on this wonderful team!"

"I hear from citizens quite often - so rare to see people appreciate governmental employees."

"One of many things that makes our organization unique compared to other government agencies is that each employee is empowered to make decisions to be effective and efficient in their jobs. Employees are also empowered to make decisions, which helps eliminate the traditional bureaucracy in a traditional government agency. "

"The innovative environment allows staff to try new ways of doing things. This is highly unusual in a government environment."

"I love the birthday celebrations and all hands meeting that occur on a monthly basis. The City of Rancho Cordova is highly involved with the community and it truly shows through the residents and pride that is taken, not only with the city, but the volunteers and community in itself. They celebrate the holidays in fun ways and give us a week off during the Christmas holiday to spend time with our families and also take a much-needed break."

"The culture embraces creativity and supports the act of being creative - even if it isn't directly related to one's job. I believe that the organization recognizes that encouraging creativity and creative risk-taking helps foster an innovative and progressive-thinking workforce that puts solutions above problems. It also helps employees reach out beyond their job description and look for ways to improve processes and programs. They know that their creative efforts will be supported."

"I enjoy the wellness program that they do here. We are given access to a private gym that includes treadmills, bikes, free weights, elliptical machines and TVs. The room also has Ping Pong tables in which they hold Ping Pong tournaments against other companies. They also provide healthy snacks and water in the conference rooms for everyone."

"I know that I have a voice in as many opportunities and challenges I want to accept. The people I work with are dedicated and loyal to the citizens of Rancho Cordova and show this with volunteer efforts and fundraising to support local organizations, in addition to doing the job."

How to Get Hired

We asked City of Rancho Cordova for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

The city seeks candidates with the right attitude to strive for excellence and qualities that support our positive, collaborative and accountable culture. We seek individuals who will be adaptive to a regularly changing program, because we aren't satisfied with the status quo. To enjoy the work culture, we seek individuals who are up for the challenge of creating something different: people who think beyond the traditional boundaries of "how it’s always been done," who want to make a difference, and who can have fun doing it. As a small employer, we look for a record of dependability, creativity and willingness to work hard. In summary, key characteristics include: collaborative, accountable, team-oriented, passionate for the work, driven to excel, eager to create something different and innovate, adaptive, receptive to change, curious and shows initiative.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Candidates can stand out by indicating in their objective statement how they want to make a difference in Rancho Cordova and why they are interested in working for our organization. Candidates who take the time to call and talk to HR about how they are exceptionally qualified and to find out more about the job definitely get our attention. Ultimately, candidates need to meet the qualifications, but strong responses to the supplemental questions and additional expertise that might fill a gap in a particular program should be highlighted. Candidates may also want to submit cover letters that identify contributions and participation in prior employment beyond the job and ways in which they added value during prior employment that demonstrated initiative, creativity and willingness to jump in to tackle new challenges. If the candidate is active in the community and regularly volunteers, this is another valued item to highlight.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

The city human resources department strives to make our hiring process interesting, inviting and fun. Candidates may go through several different interviews or assessments to help us determine the most qualified and best fit. Top candidates receive the DISC communication style report back for future reference, so even if they don't get this particular position, they will receive a valuable takeaway from the process.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

The city manager’s office has two key analyst positions that will be vacated. 

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Interested candidates should review the city website and submit interest cards for positions that they are interested in applying for. When positions are opened for recruitment, the city’s talent management system will email interested applicants of the opportunity to submit an application so they won't miss out.

Hiring Outlook

5%Job Growth 140Average number of applicants per opening
1818Applicants in past year 7Openings in past year
7%New hires by employee referrals

Candidates can stand out by indicating in their objective statement how they want to make a difference in Rancho Cordova and why they are interested in working for our organization. Candidates who take the time to call and talk to HR about how they are exceptionally qualified and to find out more about the job definitely get our attention. Ultimately, candidates need to meet the qualifications, but strong responses to the supplemental questions and additional expertise that might fill a gap in a particular program should be highlighted. Candidates may also want to submit cover letters that identify contributions and participation in prior employment beyond the job and ways in which they added value during prior employment that demonstrated initiative, creativity and willingness to jump in to tackle new challenges. If the candidate is active in the community and regularly volunteers, this is another valued item to highlight.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

The city human resources department strives to make our hiring process interesting, inviting and fun. Candidates may go through several different interviews or assessments to help us determine the most qualified and best fit. Top candidates receive the DISC communication style report back for future reference, so even if they don't get this particular position, they will receive a valuable takeaway from the process.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

The city manager’s office has two key analyst positions that will be vacated. 

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Interested candidates should review the city website and submit interest cards for positions that they are interested in applying for. When positions are opened for recruitment, the city’s talent management system will email interested applicants of the opportunity to submit an application so they won't miss out.

Hiring Outlook

5%Job Growth 140Average number of applicants per opening
1818Applicants in past year 7Openings in past year
7%New hires by employee referrals