"Extraordinary" leaders operate with transparency, invite employee input, invest in staff growth, and generally put their people first in this energetic and tight-knit global company.



This review is based on 223 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 3.67. It was published on Sep 19, 2014. 8904 Visitors

What You Should Know

Return Path Inc. employees alternately describe CEO Matt Blumberg as "extraordinary," "an inspiration" and "the friendliest CEO on earth." Under his personable leadership, the company has created a tight-knit culture with a strong focus on operating with openness, trust and care. People say that they are treated like adults. Rank and file employees see the same financial information the board does. There are numerous opportunities to provide input to executives, whom employees say actually listen and respond. A global job-shadowing program, mentoring and coaching programs support employees' professional development. There's also room for fun, from pedicures to go-kart racing, a six-week fully paid sabbatical, and for those who need to recharge on their own time, the company offers unlimited vacation to be used at employees' discretion. Return Path is growing rapidly, so come with initiative and flexibility for a quickly evolving environment. Says one employee, "It is no exaggeration to say this is an incredibly unique and special place. I have honestly never been happier or more fulfilled in my professional life."


Return Path is a global data solutions provider that helps the world’s leading companies promote and protect their brands. 

Website: www.returnpath.com US Headquarters: New York, New York
US Sites: 4 Major Locations: Broomfield, CO; New York; Sunnyvale, CA; Austin, Texas
US Employees: 324 US Revenues: $49.2 million
Worldwide Revenues: $68.3 million Employees Worldwide: 72
Founded: 1999 Industry: Information Technology

Return Path, Inc. has been awarded:

100 Best Workplaces for Millennials (2015) (ranked 57)

Best Small & Medium Workplaces 2014 (ranked 2)

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected Return Path employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. An average of 88 percent of Return Path employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 8 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Return Path employees help global consumer brands make marketing decisions by analyzing email data, which assists them in understanding how to build, maintain and strengthen customer relationships. Most employees (94 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and almost as many (91 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (84 percent), their work at Return Path has special meaning -- it is not "just a job."

At Return Path, 86 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Return Path, 85 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, on par with what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $5,250
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 50 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 60 hours
  • Coaching and training of managers is emphasized through several initiatives. In one, many Return Path employees are assigned to interim leadership positions to give them a chance to develop new and different skills and to be rewarded for taking on extra responsibility. On Management Mondays, aspiring and current managers can also read interviews with leaders about best-in-class management practices and then have an online discussion with that leader. There is also a management training program with three levels of skill building. And there is an online learning system available to all employees.
Employees have opportunities to be creative through the Idea Factory. The Idea Factory allows employees to create and pursue an idea within the company. So if I come up with a new product idea, I have a process I can follow that allows me to develop the idea, get feedback, build a prototype and work with the product team to get it implemented.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

An average of 92 percent of Return Path employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 7 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 99 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Return Path's headquarters are on the 41st floor of an office tower in New York City. It also has three other locations in Colorado, California and Texas.

Fun and Celebrations

  • Managers and employees are given lots of latitude to plan celebrations, which have included outings to cooking school or go-karting to mark team accomplishments. Return Path has also held Brazilian dance competitions, pie-throwing events and bake sales, while gifts are given for such events as anniversaries, births and weddings. 

Caring and Support

  • Return Path aims to help employees throughout the year enjoy career, social, financial, physical and community well-being and offers programs that support each area.
  • The company allows flexible work schedules which employees can use to meet the needs of their families. Upon the birth or adoption of a child, all employees are eligible for up to three months of time off at 100 percent of their base pay. Many people find the unlimited sick time policy helpful as well.
  • Return Path has supported employees with debilitating illnesses by paying for medical services and other extra costs. Employees have numerous examples to share of Return Path going above and beyond during personal crises. For example: by hiring a legal team to help them out with sudden extreme legal situations; offering extended leave and then modified work schedules to employees dealing with new medical diagnoses; providing practical help like transportation, daily meals and hospital visits when employees' family members are diagnosed with severe illnesses.
People celebrate special events around here.
The company places great importance on treating employees like family and hiring people who are compassionate. 



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

An average of 87 percent of Return Path employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 10 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

We have unlimited sick and vacation time, in-office massage and yoga classes available, full-pay sabbatical for six weeks when with the company for seven years, frequent raises and reviews for stock option grants.


Average salary and additional cash compensation for Account Manager
Company-paid health coverage for employees
Company-paid health coverage for dependents
20 hours
Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health-care coverage


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-Tax Savings Account


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Free lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Massage therapy
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
  • Fitness classes


20 days 
Paid leave for adoptive parents
80 days
Job Protected Leave maternity provided above and beyond FMLA


  • Paid Sabbaticals
  • Telecommute Option (25% use it)
  • Open vacation policy
  • Flexible Schedule (100% use it)
  • Lactation Rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
The open vacation policy is great, because it gives us a sense of freedom and flexibility should we need it. Most don't even take very much vacation, but just having it as an option is really great. A lot of us have kids and things that make not needing to track days off for sick/daycare issues awesome.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments


  • Cholesterol Tests
  • Flu Shots
  • Subsidized Offsite Gym Memberships
  • Blood Pressure Screening
  • Fitness Center

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

An average of 91 percent of Return Path employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 7 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Mailbox providers around the world use Return Path's technology to build trust in email by ensuring that wanted messages reach the inbox while spam and abuse don’t. Consumers use Return Path's apps to manage their inboxes and make email work better for them. Return Path shares data with leading anti-spam filter and email security specialists as well as more than 80 of the world’s biggest mailbox providers, representing more than 2.5 billion mailboxes – approximately 70 percent of the worldwide total. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
You can reinvent yourself here. Shifting roles is quite common and provides those who are interested, more opportunities to try something new but staying with the company. I love that aspect.

Supporting the Community

  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $12,000
  • Return Path has started a Dream Fund program through which it will make four $10,000 grants per year to support its employees in engaging in community outreach programs that make a positive impact on the communities in which they operate. For example, employees can use the funds to travel to work in a community of need, to match other financial contributions made or the funds can be donated directly to a charity of an employee's choice when other employees are doing specific work to support that charity.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Return Path really cares about their employees and the community. An example of this was during the Colorado flood. Immediately our CEO reached out to ensure everyone was safe and if any assistance was needed. In order to help the devastated area, the Dream Fund was allocated toward clean-up efforts. Return Path employees were able to take volunteer days to go assist which was greatly appreciated by the families affected.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

An average of 90 percent of Return Path employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 6 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Return Path operates across the globe and employs people in Account Management, Sales, Engineering, Analytics and Product Management. Outside of the U.S., the company employs 72 people. Despite the fact that many employees operate out of field offices and some of them often work from home, the majority of employees feel they get the information they need. Ninety-five percent of employees surveyed say managers are approachable and easy to talk with, while the vast majority (91 percent) say both that they can ask managers any reasonable question and get a straight answer and that managers genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas. Nine out of 10 feel that management keeps them informed about important issues and changes.

The level of transparency across the organization, especially from the top down, is nothing like I have ever seen before at another company. Key objectives, strategic initiatives, our direction, are communicated to the organization in a number of different ways - email, all hands meetings and video conference. 

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

An average of 87 percent of Return Path employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 11 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Return Path employees widely appreciate the transparency their leaders encourage at the company and the respect they show their staff. Employees paint a picture of leaders who balance professional skills with personal integrity. Virtually all employees surveyed (98 percent) say that management is honest and ethical in its business practices and almost as many (94 percent) confirm that managers are competent at running the business. More than nine out of 10 say that management shows a sincere interest in them as a person, not just an employee.

We have the most incredible CEO who truly cares about all of us - he is the glue that holds our incredible culture together.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Sabbaticals: Return Path offers a fully paid break of six consecutive weeks, on top of its open vacation policy, once an employee has been with the company for seven years. The company encourages employees to take their sabbaticals and unplug completely. Employees earn additional sabbaticals every five years after the initial seven-year sabbatical.
  • Open Books: Return Path shares all financial data with employees, by product and geography, so that people know the financial standing of the company and how their work impacts the bottom line.
  • Global Job-Shadowing Program: This program helps employees learn what's happening in different parts of the organization. For example, employees in France have shadowed employees in Colorado.
  • Interim Leadership Assignments: Return Path assigns many employees to interim leadership positions to allow them to develop new skills. At the end of each interim assignment, and based on performance, Return Path pays a "stretch bonus." 
  • Work From Home: This program lets employees work flexibly or from home while tending to personal needs that aren’t flexible, such as personal appointments or challenging commute times due to bad weather. Each team has different requirements for "face time" in the office, so this benefit is at manager discretion. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Return Path, Inc. employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

Word Cloud

"Transparency runs throughout the organization. I've been in several companies that claimed to be transparent, but RP is the first that truly is so."

"Special dietary need meals are provided three times a week. Unlimited vacation time, work/life balance, career growth focus, etc. Groups to focus on fun, health and community development."

"We are allowed to work from home and, in special occasions, remotely. We are provided lunch three times per week. The kitchen is always stocked with anything and everything you can hope for. Medical benefits are great. We have a development plan in place. Our people team is very attentive and always ready to help. Our executive team is friendly and accessible. Our CEO is the friendliest CEO on earth. We always have celebrations and extra activities put together by the well-being committee. Transparency is important to us and we always know where we stand in all areas as a company."

"Its people-first approach is pretty unusual and generally makes for a fun place to work. Matt Blumberg, our CEO, does an unusually great job of engaging with many people within the organization to cultivate and grow them. He also does an extraordinary job of including the entire organization in important conversations about the business. We have all-hands meetings and breakout sessions with senior leaders to learn more about the business and ask significant, tough questions of them."

"I think the specific interest we take in people's abilities to grow their careers is striking. We invest a lot in training, leadership development and coaching of top talent. It's absolutely amazing."

"Awesome support for work/life balance, allowing us to work at home and have flexible hours when needed. Great support for technical women in the workplace. Quarterly Dream Fund gives $10,000 grants to teams doing work to support charities or community outreach programs. No cap on the number of vacation hours we are allowed to take each year: we are trusted to get quality work done in a timely manner. Free lunch is provided in the company cafeteria three times per week, and the refrigerators are well stocked with drinks and snack foods for break times. The company CEO finds time to call me and congratulate me on work anniversaries and when I've received an award for a job well done. This is by far the best company I have ever worked for in my 35-year career."

"Return Path managers proactively search for ways to make this a better place to work. I was recently stranded at work because of a commuter train outage. While I was trying to figure out what to do, my boss sent me a text: "How are you getting home?" Within the hour, the company booked a private car to get me home in time to tuck in my kids, on a night when thousands of New Yorkers couldn't get out of the city."

"I really appreciate the amount of trust in employees at Return Path. I feel empowered to do my job. The amount of financial transparency is also refreshing, and I appreciate that management doesn't try to smooth over areas where Return Path needs to improve."

"I'm the CEO, so I am more than a little biased. I've tried hard since founding the company almost 15 years ago to make this a unique and outstanding workplace in every way. The "People First" mentality runs deep in our DNA here. And probably the most gratifying thing for me is that that mentality is no longer dependent on me. We now have almost 400 colleagues all over the world who carry that mantra forward every day."

"This may sound silly, but when someone closes a new piece of business and the "Monkey Mail" goes out which celebrates a new deal, you get a great sense of accomplishment and lots of positive replies from your colleagues and the executive team. I look forward to those emails with every deal. I also love that our CEO reaches out to everyone on their anniversary and has a special gift to celebrate the years of service. Without a doubt this is my favorite job ever after many years of selling."

"ReturnPath is different from other companies that I have worked at because they seem to sincerely care about you as a person. They are very supportive and provide you opportunities to learn and grow."

"I have worked at a lot of companies - it is no small exaggeration to say this is an incredibly unique and special place. I have never seen a culture like this that is so transparent, so focused on others' well-being and continued development. We have an amazing executive team, led by our CEO Matt Blumberg, and they genuinely live our values in every possible way. We don't get paid the most or have the best perks, but people love working here and coming to work every day -- and it's entirely because of our culture, and our people. That all comes from the top. I have honestly never been happier or more fulfilled in my professional life."

How to Get Hired

We asked Return Path, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

We are a learning and team-oriented environment with a strong focus on people. Successful prospective employees fit best in the Return Path culture when: They are self-aware and have a high degree of self-management. They know themselves well, can regulate their emotions, are continuous learners and are open to receiving feedback. They are also collaborative: they communicate well, engage others in their thinking, seek input and give others feedback. They take initiative and ownership, and have a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done. They are kind, helpful and have a sense of playfulness. 

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Prospective employees get our attention by: having a clear and concise and well-communicated resume; a playful, well-written cover letter is appreciated too; taking an interest in and understanding our business; doing deep research on what we do, how we work and our culture; demonstrating and providing examples of how their values and experience fits well with our culture and the job; having enthusiasm and passion for what they do.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

Candidates get an opportunity to meet many different people throughout the organization, which can be rigorous, and which gives them an opportunity to really determine their fit with RP. In many positions, we give candidates some type of "homework" -  a presentation, problem-solving exercise, writing sample – which gives them an opportunity to demonstrate their capabilities and creativity. All final candidates interview with an executive committee member, and some with the CEO.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

We are opportunistic about hiring strong talent, especially in technical roles. This year, we have focus areas in account management, sales, software engineering and data analysis. Every summer, we have an Email Genius Academy to hire interns in roles ranging from marketing to software engineering.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Candidates who are interested in RP should visit our career page, research us and see what types of opportunities we have that match their skills and interests. If there’s a current opening that fits, they should apply online. They can also review their network for any connections with current or former employees, and meet them to learn more about what it’s like to work at RP.  

Hiring Outlook

10%Job Growth 43Average number of applicants per opening
6622Applicants in past year 61Openings in past year
30%New hires by employee referrals

Related Companies