What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
This is a fun place to work.
What They Do
We asked Radio Systems Corporation to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Radio Systems Corporation is the leading supplier of pet products. Our family of brands includes PetSafe®, Invisible Fence® Brand, and SportDOG Brand®. Our portfolio includes electronic training and containment systems, waste management products, fountains, pet doors, innovative toys and much more.
About this Company
| Website: www.radiosystemscorporation.com|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: Knoxville, Tennessee, 37932|| US Sites: 10|
| Major Locations: Glen Allen, Virginia, 23059; Chesterland, Ohio, 44026; San Diego, California, 92024; Aurora, Colorado, 80016; Seattle, Washington, 98034; Camphill, Pennsylvania, 17011; Chicago, Illinois, 60532; Tampa, Florida, 33634; Kirkland, Washington, 98034; Whitesboro, New York, 13492|| US Employees: 545|
| US Revenues: $321.9 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $378.1 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 701|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1991|
Perks and Programs
We asked Radio Systems Corporation to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Pet Perks: The best perk of all, we bring our furry friends to work with us every day! We have an onsite dog park at our headquarters, as well as 6 others across the city, all of which are open to the public. Teammates receive a $600 pet-product allowance, and 50% off items for friends and family. When teammates travel, we cover the expense to board their dog at our onsite facility.
- Recognition: Our Anniversary Program includes $5,000 and a full week of paid time off to take a dream trip for those who reach 10-years of employment. At 20 years, teammates receive $7,500 and a week of paid time off. "Top Dog" is a monthly values-based recognition program where teammates are nominated by peers and winners are voted on by a committee. At the end of the year, our CEO hosts a celebration dinner for all 12 Top Dog winners. This year, we added a global Recognition Platform that has both point-based and social recognition. It also gives alerts when there is a birthday or work anniversary so a team can contribute to an e-card.
- Wellness: Our wellness program has a variety of onsite offerings such as weekly exercise classes, live education courses, massage therapy, personal training, nutrition coaching, and paid entry for races. Our headquarters hosts a 1,700 square foot onsite gym and a half-mile walking path. Our remote teammates receive a gym reimbursement at the end of each quarter. Reimbursement of tobacco cessation aides for teammates and family members are offered, as well as an additional $600-$800 contribution to Health Savings Accounts for participation in biometrics and a Health Risk Assessment. Our monthly newsletter includes a “Built to Last Champion,” featuring an teammate’s wellness journey.
- Engagement: Our Engagement team plans events to foster an environment of collaboration and fun. Including: Pups and Pints – Teammates enjoy social time outdoors with one another and dogs while a local brewer serves from a beer truck; Board Meetings – While our Senior Staff attends their annual board meeting, we have one of our own … a corn hole tournament; Chili Cook Off – Complete with celebrity judges, and trophies; Thanksgiving Turkey – Our founder shares the story of the first Thanksgiving for the company, followed by a Thanksgiving meal of our own, as well as the gifting of frozen turkeys to teammates by our Senior Staff (who are dressed up as turkeys themselves).
- Learning and Development: Our Learning and Development Program encompasses developing our teammates, managers, and teams to help our organization achieve success. We have an online platform known as RSC College that hosts Radio Systems’ development opportunities online and in the classroom. Our Tuition Reimbursement Program provides teammates a $5,250 reimbursement. In 2016, we launched our Unleashed Leadership Development Program and sent 100 managers and high potential teammates through this intense 3-day training. In 2017, we sent another 30 through this program. Additional new programs include a 2-day in-house course for emerging leaders, a brand new Career Development Program (“Pathways”), and a refresh of our Reverse Mentoring Program. This year we are adding Traditional Mentoring and Task Mentoring.
- Senior Leadership Involvement: We encourage approachability at all levels of the organization. Senior Staff members sit among teammates in our open-office environment, host “listen-ins” with departments to discuss opportunities for improvement, and participate in a “reverse mentor” program. Once a year, Senior Staff dons their aprons and hosts a cookout for all teammates at our headquarters. “Monday Notes” gives insight and transparency into Senior Staff’s weekly business focus. Our CEO hosts a monthly “birthday lunch” for teammates and films quarterly videos to update the company on our successes and foster alignment within the brands.
- Community Engagement/Philanthropy: Teammates pride themselves on giving back to communities. A few big initiatives include: The Invisible Fence® Brand Project Breathe™ Program - donating more than 18,000 pet oxygen masks to local fire departments across the U.S. and Canada. The SportDOG Brand® Conservation Fund ensures hunters and their dogs will have places to pursue wild game for generations to come. The PetSafe® Bark For Your Park™ campaign has provided over 1 million dollars to build dog parks in 42 communities across the U.S. In addition, the PetSafe® Shelter Enrichment Program provides monetary and product donations to some of the most successful shelters across the country. Radio Systems Corporation Philanthropy Committee also donates over $600,000 and 60,000 products to organizations that aid in pet welfare and youth education.
- Onsite Clinic: Our onsite medical clinic is open 20 hours a week. It's available for teammates and dependents age 2+ covered on our medical plan. We have a wellness-based model that provides coaching and preventive care, as well as taking care of people when they are sick. The clinic offers a prescription concierge, which makes it easy to get a prescription filled. Clinic satisfaction averages 95% and is booked with appointments 63% of the time. When there are no appointments, our clinician has an open door policy allowing for walk-ins.
- Office Environment: Our open-office environment is a key component of our culture, fostering collaboration and creativity. You’ll often see teammates, and their dogs, working together on projects, or throwing around ideas … and tennis balls. Teammates are also encouraged to take advantage of a flexible work schedule, including a work-from home option. Customer Care Center representatives are given 30 minute wellness breaks, twice a week, which allows time away from their desks to participate in their favorite wellness activity. Last, we don’t have a dress code! We believe our teammates don’t have to wear a suit and tie to be successful.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 5% of salary||95% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 95% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $5,250 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
| $5,250 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 26 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 22 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 26 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
| 22 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (30% use it)
- Telecommute option (15% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (3% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Medical facilities (only at headquarters)
- Onsite Amenities (Fitness Classes, Massage Therapy, Dry Cleaning, Wellness classes, Mobile Mammogram, Onsite ATM, Learning and Career Development classes, Onsite medical clinic with prescription concierge, doggy daycare and boarding facility, dog park)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|80 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||25 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|50 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|25 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*||10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $1,629,999 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Yes Recycling program|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked Radio Systems Corporation for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
A great prospective teammate contributes to the unique Radio Systems culture and embodies our behavior model for how to be a successful teammate. Some behaviors would include having a bias toward action, holding yourself accountable to your work, embracing new challenges, delivering innovative solutions that delight our customers, having fun and celebrating often.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
To get our attention or stand out among other candidates, there has to be a passion for our mission and delighting our customers. Before an interview, we encourage learning more about our history, our three brands (PetSafe®, Invisible Fence® Brand and SportDOG™), our unique culture and involvement in the community.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always seeking teammates who are passionate about meeting and exceeding our customers' needs in our Customer Care Contact Center. Also, this year we are bringing in several new teammates that will help enhance our online content to make our experience for our customers as great as possible.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit www.radiosystemscorporation.com to read more about us and click Work With Us to view our open opportunities!
| 150 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 13% Job Growth|
| 28 Average applicants per opening|| 3,556 Total job applicants|
| 22% New hires by employee referrals|| 42% Openings filled by current employees|
| 4 Recent graduates hired|| 12% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|