What You Should Know
The way employees tell it, Radio Flyer's Chicago headquarters is as joyful as the iconic toys they help create. "Radio Flyer is the 'total package'." says one team member. "It is not about any one perk or any one person or any one thing. It is simply unique to be able to work in an environment like this, with great people, on a really special brand."
It's no accident that co-workers at Radio Flyer get along like great buddies. By the end of the first year, each one will have joined colleagues to help build a playground, chatted with its Chief Wagon Officer at least once and shared suggestions to better the company during an annual retreat. Underlying these programs is a culture where employees say – nearly unanimously – that they care about their jobs and each other.
"I truly come in each day excited to see what is in store and how we are going to improve ourselves now," says one. Recounting the cards, compassion and time off after losing a relative, this team member also adds, "No matter what is going on in your personal life, there is support and understanding everywhere you turn."
Unusually, 98 percent of Radio Flyer employees also report people avoid office politics in the organization. Additionally, Flyers trust their managers: All of those surveyed say their leaders make expectations clear and deliver on their promises. One employee highlights the related "transparency between the work we do on a daily basis and how it affects the company. This leads to a sense of pride and accomplishment to see how your work pays off."
The organization rewards people's work with pay and benefits the vast majority of employees feel are fair. These encompass programs like 10- to 12-week paid maternity leaves, flexible schedules, spot bonuses, holiday gift cards and other treats guided by highly active employee committees. Radio Flyer also offers profit sharing retirement contributions averaging 10 percent of salary – one reason an exceptionally high 96 percent of team members believe they receive their fair share of the company's earnings.
Taken together, these perks back up a workplace employees say is as spirited and fun as one might picture the toy company would be. "Flyers work together and really do have the team and best interests of others and the company in mind," says one person. "People treat each other like family. Everyone has a passion for what we do and enjoys coming to work, which shows in people's attitudes."
What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
WHAT THEY DO
We asked Radio Flyer Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
For over 97 years, our company has produced children's products that bring smiles and create warm memories that last a lifetime. Today, Radio Flyer produces tricycles, scooters, wagons, and many other ride-ons that have fueled our growth and success.
| Website: www.radioflyer.com
|| US Headquarters: Chicago, Illinois
| US Sites: 1
|| Major Locations: Chicago, IL
| US Employees: 58
|| Employees worldwide: 93
| Founded: 1917
|| Industry: Other
Perks and Programs
We asked Radio Flyer Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Radio Flyer is Innovative: Radio Flyer is a best place to work because it has a culture focused on innovation with an iconic brand. Radio Flyer is the leader of patents in its category and has over 100 different products. There is much more than wagons in its product line up. Radio Flyer is one of the few companies that has won the Chicago Innovation Award twice! It has also won the Toy Industry, Toy of the Year Award twice!
- Radio Flyer is a Winning Team: Radio Flyer’s designs go to market and become award winning products. Radio Flyer has the right people, equipment and tools. Radio Flyer brings in top talent and has a world-class prototype lab onsite to create prototypes and has a quality lab to test products. There is also a play lab onsite for child testing.
- Radio Flyer has a Competitive Total Compensation & Benefits Package: Radio Flyer pays employees competitively through base compensation, a bonus program, a merit program, 401(k) matching and profit sharing. In addition, Radio Flyer offers rich benefits, flextime, summer hours and vacation purchase for time off beyond granted vacation.
- Radio Flyers Offers Continuous Training and Professional Development: Radio Flyer provides opportunities for growth through meaningful work, coaching and training sessions, and a strong culture of feedback. Employees are able to provide contributions that directly impact the business on a daily basis. Radio Flyer has a culture that is open to feedback, which helps as employees strive for continuous improvement. Regular coaching and mentorship is offered by managers and senior leaders and formal training is also provided both onsite through Wagon U and offsite.
- Radio Flyer Shares the Love for Outdoor Play: Radio Flyer employees receive products through giveaways throughout the year and through an employee purchase program that offers 50% off of products. Employees are able to share wagons, trikes, scooters, etc. with their families and friends and see firsthand how much fun is had with Radio Flyer products and outdoor play. Employees also donate products through various organizations. Radio Flyer products are enjoyed by all!
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution
|| 85% Company-paid health coverage for employees
| 85% Company-paid health coverage for dependents
|| 30 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage
| $5250 College Tuition Reimbursement
- 401(k) or 403b plan
- Pre-tax savings account
- Deferred profit-sharing plan
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
- Fitness classes
- Annual events where massage therapy and vehicle maintenance are provided
- Workout facility "Wellness Zone"
- Free onsite parking
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 21 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment
|| $5,000 Adoption benefit
| 80 days Job protected maternity leave
|| 20 days Paid leave for adoptive parents
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule
- Compressed summer work weeks
- Lactation rooms
- Phased retirement planning
- Vacation purchase
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Radio Flyer Inc. employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"Radio Flyer is the 'total package.' It is not about any one perk or any one person or any one thing. It is simply unique to be able to work in an environment like this, with great people, on a really special brand."
"Our backyard area is great for lunch and provides a place to get outside during the busy workweek. Company parties, such as the off-site and anniversary celebration, are a great place for employees and family members to interact."
"The focus on development here at Radio Flyer makes it a great workplace. Whenever I am lacking in skills, my manager makes sure Radio Flyer provides the training necessary to do my job."
"Management listens, implements our ideas, treats everyone fairly and equally and is VERY generous. I feel as if they are my second family."
"Really great work-life balance."
"Management leads by example. The expectations the management team has for all Flyers is the same as the expectations they have for themselves. We are treated fairly and with respect. The health benefits, 401(k), and profit sharing benefits are very rich."
How to Get Hired
We asked Radio Flyer Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
A great fit for Radio Flyer’s team has a genuine love for working hard and delivering great results. A great fit is a self-starter and that has a “yes I can” attitude. He or she expresses openness to feedback and a desire to strive for continual improvement. A great fit understands the value in what Radio Flyer does and in their desire to make great products that impact people’s lives in a positive way.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Candidates that have a track record of success and passion for their field will get Radio Flyer’s attention. Radio Flyer is looking for candidates that are match to the job posting’s requirements and have necessary experience for the role. Radio Flyer is looking for individuals that have a great attitude, are open to feedback and strive for excellence in everything.
Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?
After candidates initial interviews, they are asked to write about 3 successes and 1 failure in their professional and/or personal life along with 15 questions they have for Radio Flyer. This allows Radio Flyer to get know the candidate better and opens up further dialogue in the interview process. The questions are meant to give the candidate the opportunity to think about what else they would like to know about Radio Flyer. By this point, many questions have already been asked, so this often prompts deeper questions about things that matter to the candidate. This part of the interview process may feel like an assignment for school, but candidates often communicate how they have enjoyed the reflection involved by writing the essays and they appreciate information they then receive from the selection team about the questions. At the end of the process, all candidates meet with the Chief Wagon Officer.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Radio Flyer is looking to grow its Product Development team. We are looking for creative designers who want to work with world class resources in an innovative environment. If you are interested in designing for an American iconic brand, have direct influence on the products that deliver smiles to kids of all ages, Radio Flyer is focused on hiring great Industrial Designers and Product Development Engineers! Those with experience with consumer products are generally the best match. There are different levels open, so those directly out of school or those with more experience are encouraged to apply and share their portfolios.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Review our openings on radioflyer.com/careers and apply, if interested and qualified! Industrial Designers, include your portfolio in the application. Follow us on Twitter @RadioFlyerJobs
||93Average number of applicants per opening
|5%Total voluntary turnover in past year
||3081Applicants in past year
|33Openings in past year
||6%New hires by employee referrals