An on-site gym, living the Rackspace Core Values and teammates who always have your back are just a few reasons employees at Rackspace enjoy coming to work.



This review is based on 799 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 3.14. It was published on Oct 1, 2014. 11338 Visitors

What You Should Know

Headquartered in a former mall, Rackspace is known as a workplace with a balanced mix of hard work and fun. The focus here is less about a dress code and more about quality work. Not every company has its own radio station or regular onsite car washes and oil changes. But Rackspace has those perks and more. Rackers (Rackspace employees) also feel good about helping the community, fueled in part by 24 hours of paid volunteer time every year. People who thrive in a collaborative, work-hard, play-hard environment will like what they see at Rackspace. "The company culture really makes it a great place to work," one employee says. "From day one you feel like you're part of a family."


Rackspace is the #1 managed cloud company, helping customers design, build, and run the best cloud for their needs. Rackspace managed cloud experts are available 24/7/365 to act as an extension of their customers’ IT teams – what Rackspace calls Fanatical Support®.

Website: US Headquarters: San Antonio, Texas
US Sites: 11 Major Locations: San Antonio, TX; Austin, TX; Blacksburg, VA; Grapvine, TX; San Francisco, CA
Stock Symbol: RAX US Employees: 4503
US revenues: $1134 million Worldwide revenues: $1535 million
Employees worldwide: 1159 (outside the US) Founded: 1998
Industry: Information Technology

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Rackspace, 80 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides necessary training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 14 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

Rackspace employees provide cloud computing services for clients. The company has approximately 4,503 employees in the United States, where they operate 11 locations.

A large majority of employees (91 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and a majority (84 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (80 percent), their work at Rackspace is more than just a job.

At Rackspace, 81 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at Rackspace, 67 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 9 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $400
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 17 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 47 hours
  • Rackspace University offers learning experiences based on relevant and emerging topics, as well as an Emerging Leaders program, an Advanced Leadership program and a Leadership Potential Center, offering three-day, offsite leadership simulation programs. 
Rackspace celebrates and encourages individual contributors to act on ideas they have and make changes that impact our organization. Colleagues give each other the benefit of the doubt and genuinely believe everyone is giving their best effort. Those attitudes together create an environment of trust and encourages people who work here to make real impact on a day-to-day basis.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Rackspace, 83 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 12 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Based in San Antonio, Rackspace operates 11 offices across the United States. Employees work in an open atmosphere with an onsite fitness center, video games, miniature golf and other activities available for when they need to let off steam.  

Fun and Celebrations

  • While Rackers have fun at work every day, taking breaks to shoot pool, play miniature golf or work out, they also have team outings every quarter and annual events such as the Summer Bash, Racktoberfest and a winter holiday party. 

Caring and Support

  • When Rackers suffer tragedies, the whole company bands together to make the situation better, throwing fundraisers and donating time off for those who need it. 
People celebrate special events around here.
Rackspace is amazing. You get to work with people who you can talk to and work with easily. Everybody has fun and tells jokes while we help people. I like waking up and getting ready to go to Rackspace. I want to be there.


Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Rackspace, 73 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 17 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 90 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

People that work hard and deliver results are consistently rewarded.


100% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution 100% Company-paid health coverage for employees
75% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 30 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Employee stock purchase plan


  • Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Car wash
  • Vehicle maintenance
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Weight Watchers meetings


27 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment 60 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA
10 days Paid leave for adoptive parents


  • Paid sabbaticals
  • Telecommute option (4% use it)
  • Unpaid sabbaticals
  • Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
They are family friendly when it comes to flex schedules and allowing us to work from home when legitimate family or other similar things arise.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Fertility treatments
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care


  • Breast cancer screening
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships
  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Fitness center

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Rackspace, 84 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 12 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

Rackspace prides itself on helping companies maximize their cloud computing experience without having to hire multiple experts in different areas of technology. The company serves more than 200,000 business customers from data centers on four continents. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
At Rackspace, we are given the ability to 'invent the future.' Management knows the direction they want the company to go, and there is a lot of freedom on how we actually do that.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 24 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $896,092
  • Rack Gives Back is a program that supports the local communities around the various Rackspace offices through volunteer events and charitable giving, focused on STEM education. For instance, Rackspace sponsors student robotics competitions and offers coding classes for at-risk students from neighborhood schools. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
The fact that we are encouraged to take volunteer time off and we are paid for it is amazing. Rackspace really wants its workers to enrich the community.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Rackspace, 74 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 17 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 91 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Even though employees are spread out in various offices across the country, they get the information they need. Many (73 percent) say management keeps them informed about important issues and changes. And when they need help or answers, employees have access to their leaders. A majority (85 percent) says management is approachable and easy to talk to. Seventy-three percent also say they can ask management any reasonable question and get a straight answer, and that management genuinely seeks and responds to suggestions and ideas. 

The feedback loop is one that doesn't exist at most companies. You have an opportunity to voice your concerns or opinions at your team level and at the organizational level. 

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Rackspace, 70 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 18 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 88 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

Rackspace employees widely appreciate the friendliness and camaraderie their leaders encourage at the company. Most employees also feel their leaders are interested in doing what's best for the employees. A majority (84 percent) believes management would only lay off employees as a last resort, and 80 percent feel that management shows a sincere interest in them as people, not just as employees. Team members also believe in their leaders' abilities to operate the company: 84 percent say management is honest and ethical in its business practices, and 74 percent say management is competent at running the business. 

The values that Graham (one of the Rackspace founders) operates the company with create an environment of teamwork and camaraderie. It's unlike any company I've ever worked for in my 20-year plus career. The focus on customers and to do the right thing is real, not just corporate speak.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Sabbaticals: After employees complete seven years of service, they are eligible to take a six-week sabbatical. 
  • Health and Wellness: Rackspace employees can take advantage of onsite fitness facilities, along with free fitness classes and onsite health screenings. 
  • Casual Dress: Employees can wear whatever they want to work, including shorts and flip-flops.
  • Onsite Fun: Employees in the headquarters office can enjoy themselves every day at work, as they work among a two-story slide, miniature golf course, pool table, multiple foosball and Ping Pong tables, video arcade consoles, bikes, trikes, huge stuffed animals and an open-air tent with food trucks at lunchtime.

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Rackspace employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"When I wear Rackspace T-shirts outside of the office I often get stopped by complete strangers who feel the need to tell me how many times they have applied/interviewed for positions that they did not receive and/or want to slip me their resumes. It can be pretty awkward at times; I mean what do you say but keep trying. It does give you this sense of pride knowing that you are special and confirmation that you work at a pretty cool place."

"The culture thrives on people and the people drive the culture. The culture promotes learning and responsibility. When thinking about my future here, I have so many options that I do not know which one way to go."

"The culture is amazing. Folks really take the core values to heart and live by them not only at work but also in their personal lives."

"The culture of the company is very encouraging and gives the opportunity to contribute voluntarily."

"The sense of empowerment I get at Rackspace is unlike any place I've worked before. My management affords me an immense amount of autonomy in my work, but they are there to back me up if I need it. I really feel like this is a safe place for me to try new ideas, and this gives me a true sense of value and that I'm making a difference with my work."

"Management goes the extra mile to help employees with their current and future career aspirations."

"Are you a jeans and T-shirt person? Fine. Shorts and flip-flops? Bring it. Come to work how you want to and be engaged."

"This is the place to find your calling. My first position with Rackspace was not a perfect fit. I was encouraged to take the time and effort to search internally for a position that really excited me. This happened with the full support of my previous manager. I have worked in the high tech industry for 30 years and at Rackspace have found the best place I have ever worked."

"The family feel is hard to mistake. Every Racker is dedicated to do the best they can and even volunteer beyond what you'd expect from employees."

"This is by far the best corporate environment I have ever worked in, the perfect balance between the extremes, not too silly, not too strict. People that have not worked anywhere else truly have no idea what the real world is like. This place is its own category, and we are all lucky to work here."

"I love this company! I feel like Rackspace is a piece of me and I hope to retire here. My co-workers really are my friends and family."

"We have good benefits including a brand new, modern recreational center/gym. We are given the discretion to exercise and socialize so long as we take care of our responsibilities."

How to Get Hired

Hiring Outlook

7%Job Growth 53Average number of applicants per opening
9%Total voluntary turnover in past year 124667Applicants in past year
676Openings in past year 5%New hires by employee referrals

Follow Rackspace Hosting

Related Companies