QuikTrip stands out from other gasoline and convenience store chains because employees praise its friendly, welcoming culture and above-industry average pay. 



This review is based on 1688 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.26. It was published on Oct 10, 2014. 13740 Visitors

What You Should Know

QuikTrip stands out from other gasoline and convenience store chains in that employees praise its above-industry average pay and overall friendly, supportive atmosphere. Employees who ace a “mystery shopper” test or demonstrate good attendance get bonuses as well. The Tulsa-based, privately held chain has 700 stores in 11 states and is still growing. Employees like the work: turnover is extremely low, with only 13 percent of employees leaving, compared to an industry average of 59 percent. Self-motivated, customer-oriented people will thrive. However, those with concerns about physically challenging work -- standing on their feet up to 10 hours a shift, cleaning and stocking products -- might look elsewhere. “Everyone wears a smile as a part of our uniform," one employee says. "We have great relationships with our customers, so not only is our organization a family, all customers are family too.”


QuikTrip is a chain of over 700 gasoline and convenience stores located throughout 11 states. 

Website: www.quiktrip.com US Headquarters: Tulsa, Oklahoma
US Sites: 724 Major Locations: Atlanta, GA; Dallas, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Tulsa, OK; Kansas City, MO
US Employees: 16864 US revenues: $12520.25 million
Worldwide revenues: $12520.25 million Founded: 1958
Industry: Retail

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At QuikTrip, 83 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 12 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

QuikTrip employees work in retail gasoline and convenience stores. The company has approximately 16,864 employees in the United States, where they operate 724 locations.

The majority of employees (84 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (87 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (82 percent), their work at QuikTrip is more than just a job.

At QuikTrip, 88 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at QuikTrip, 75 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, on par with what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $4,400
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 10 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 24 hours
  • QuikTrip has a number of employee development programs in place, including a mentoring program for new supervisors, career counseling services and one-on-one meetings between store managers and employees every six weeks. The company makes it a priority to promote from within. To help employees learn the skills they need to succeed, QuikTrip offers free, onsite college courses in collaboration with a local community college. 
We are a company built by the employees, run by the employees and in business to provide for the employees and their families. All promotions happen from within. So, the people in positions above you have 'walked in your shoes,' all the way up to the president of our company.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At QuikTrip, 82 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 13 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

Founded in 1958, QuikTrip has its headquarters in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with gas station/convenience stores located throughout the United States. Most employees work in one of the company's retail locations. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • QuikTrip employees enjoy a number of celebrations, including annual employee meetings with free food and door prizes, divisional picnics, an annual holiday party in addition to divisional parties and a corporate year-end party. 

Caring and Support

  • QuikTrip's Extra-Relief program allows employees to cover shifts for their co-workers who are ill or have family emergencies. Employees have five personal days in addition to their regular vacation days, and some employees can purchase more paid time off. QuikTrip offers an employee assistance program as well as short-term, long-term and bereavement leave. The company also has an Employee Disaster Fund to assist employees struggling with life-altering emergencies, natural disasters and other hardships. Employees can contribute to the fund through weekly payroll deductions or one-time donations. 
People celebrate special events around here.
This is the only job I have ever had that truly feels like a 'family.' I've made many friends within my three years working here and have put my trust into others, whom I have grown to know better, about my personal life or if I ever just need someone to talk to or help in a situation. I've never had that in any other company I have worked for. Not to mention our CEO takes amazing care of all his employees without even being directly connected to each and every one of us. I find that to be one of the best benefits of this job. When you have people who care about you, you want to do your best!



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At QuikTrip, 87 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 9 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

QuikTrip sincerely cares about its employees. Every year they have a picnic just to thank us for our hard work. When we work late, they provide us with food and sometimes serve lunch just to say thank you. Also, they have a relief fund just for employees so if you have an accident, a house fire or a family emergency, they will help you with cost. This company makes everyone feel important by the support, encouragement and respect it shows its employees.


$36,241 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Night Assistant Manager $55,287 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Store Manager
50% 401(k) match of employee's salary, up to 3% of an employee's contribution 79% Company-paid health coverage for employees
54% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 26 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Employee stock ownership plan


  • Free beverages during the day
  • Massage therapy
  • Car wash
  • Convenience store
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Vehicle maintenance


10 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment $10,000 Adoption benefit
60 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA 30 days Paid leave for adoptive parents


  • Paid sabbaticals
  • Flexible schedule (20% use it)
  • Lactation rooms
  • Unpaid sabbaticals
  • Phased retirement planning
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
QuikTrip is extremely flexible with work hours and time off requests. I am able to work when it's most convenient for me and I love that aspect.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care


  • Breast cancer screening
  • Skin cancer screening
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Prostate cancer screening
  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Medicare facility

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At QuikTrip, 85 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 11 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

QuikTrip is dedicated to meeting its customers' needs, with all of its stores open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The company has opened 57 new locations in the past year and was listed at number 30 on Forbes America's list of the largest private companies in the United States. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
The family environment really is unique. When someone leaves/changes departments there's always some way to celebrate them being with the group. The same goes for if any of our members end up in the hospital or sick. 

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per employee per year: 16 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $7,893,968
  • QuikTrip participates in several different fundraising campaigns, raising money for United Way, Toys for Tots, Adopt-a-School and many other organizations. When making corporate donations, the company prioritizes organizations where its employees volunteer their time. 
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
QuikTrip has picnics, employee appreciation days, United Way Golf tournaments, etc. to show appreciation to the employees and community. Employees are given the opportunity to give to others through United Way fundraisers, Toys for Tots and Folds of Honor campaigns. 

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At QuikTrip, 87 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 9 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

With many employees and different locations across the United States, QuikTrip aims to keep everyone in the loop through email, a company newsletter and regular visits to stores by senior managers. Most employees (88 percent) feel they are informed about important issues and changes. Most (89 percent) also feel that they can ask their managers any reasonable question and get a straight answer. Nine out of 10 also say that their managers make their expectations clear. Employees feel comfortable communicating with their managers, with a significant majority (91 percent) reporting that their managers are approachable and easy to talk with. Similarly, most employees (85 percent) find that their managers genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas. 

Everybody here is very welcoming and helps you if help is needed. Managers are friendly and outgoing and are easy to talk to.

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At QuikTrip, 84 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 11 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

QuikTrip employees widely appreciate the friendly, welcoming and respectful atmosphere their leaders encourage at the company. Employees paint a picture of a well-run company with strong and ethical leadership. In fact, an overwhelming majority of employees (92 percent) agree that their leadership team is competent at running the business. As part of running the business well, most employees (83 percent) also say that their managers do a good job of assigning and coordinating people. Employees trust the vision their leaders have for the company, with a significant majority (91 percent) reporting that their leadership team has a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. In addition, employees describe a company with ethical leaders, with 92 percent saying their managers are honest and ethical in their business practices. More than eight out of 10 employees say that not only do their managers deliver on their promises, but their actions also match their words. Employees at QuikTrip feel secure in their jobs, with nine out of 10 agreeing that management would lay people off only as a last resort. Finally, QuikTrip staffers describe a workplace where they are recognized as individuals, with most (86 percent) saying that their managers show a sincere interest in them as people, not just employees. 

I really feel upper level management goes out of its way to treat people fairly and investigate problems.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Service Awards: Employees are recognized for one, five, 10, 15, 20 and more years of service with the company. Rewards include cash gifts, pins, plaques and more. After 25 years of service, and every five afterwards, employees receive a 20-day sabbatical from work. After 40 years of service, QuikTrip contributes $15,000 into the employee's employee stock ownership account. 
  • Employee Recognition: QuikTrip uses mystery shop services, and employees who receive a perfect score receive a $50 bonus with their next paycheck. Employees are also eligible for attendance bonuses after one year of service with the company. They are recognized for perfect attendance, above-average attendance and average attendance. 
  • Bonus Plan and Stock Options: QuikTrip has an employee stock ownership plan for eligible employees. Each year, full-time and part-time permanent employees receive a holiday bonus according to their number of years with the company. 
  • Health and Wellness: QuikTrip has clinics available to its employees where they and their immediate family members can have health screenings each year. The company also has partnerships with various fitness centers to offer discounts to employees. 
  • Communication: Employees stay in touch through the Register, the company's monthly newsletter. Each month, new employees are welcomed, award-winners are recognized and promotions are announced. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from QuikTrip employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"QuikTrip is a wonderful place to not only find life-long friends but also opportunities."

"QuikTrip responds to the needs of its employees in a timely manner. The amount of feedback that employees give and receive is exceptional and helps them continue to grow and succeed on a daily basis."

"This company and its employees make this place feel like a family. Everyone is there for each other. Team leaders were willing to look into services to help me in the time of need and listened to my situation and gave great advice. This is an amazing place to work!"

"They go out of their way to help their employees, whether it's to help with training, a flexible schedule or to help in a time of need (a loss of family member or home)."

"I will reach my 20th anniversary with QuikTrip this year. In that time I have seen many changes, but the one constant is the way QuikTrip puts their employees first. We are truly treated as individuals and the company takes a personal interest in each of us. I believe this is unheard of when a company grows to the size we are. We actually have to open new markets to create movement to give our employees an opportunity to advance because no one leaves."

"Everyone wears a smile as a part of our uniform. We have great relationships with our customers, so not only is our organization a family, all customers are family too. The people I work with make me enjoy work. Overall it's an amazing company to work for and I wouldn't change a thing."

"This company pays well. It's always a pleasure to walk into work knowing there are great people to work with. Also, all the positive vibes that are given are a great feeling."

"Compensation and benefits are extremely generous for this line of work. We pay our part-time employees more than some places pay managers."

"This is one of the best jobs I've had. I feel that this will be the last job I have. I love the work environment and the people I work with. This job only goes up!"

"I have only worked for QuikTrip for two months and I already feel like I am a part of this great family. Every employee I have met has made me more and more grateful to work here. I can't imagine a better place to work and better people to work for."

"I think the workplace and all-around atmosphere at QuikTrip makes it so unique and unusual. Everyone dreads the thought of having to go to work, but I truthfully have such an amazing experience and fun time when it gets down to business and I'm on the clock."

"You'll never meet someone that isn't friendly. QuikTrip only hires the type of people they need to grow and everyone that works for the company has at least one similar characteristic."

How to Get Hired

We asked QuikTrip for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

We look for pretty smart folks with a lot of energy who are self-motivated and are really comfortable talking to and taking care of the needs of customers. Prospective new employees must not have concerns about doing physically challenging work – standing on their feet up to 10 hours a shift, cleaning and the stocking of product for retail sales.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Repeat of 8.1

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?


Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

Full-time entry-level assistant managers and part-time staff.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Visit www.quiktrip.com.

Hiring Outlook

20%Job Growth 36Average number of applicants per opening
11%Total voluntary turnover in past year 194050Applicants in past year
821Openings in past year 35%New hires by employee referrals

Follow QuikTrip

Related Companies