What Employees Say
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
Management hires people who fit in well here.
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked Point B Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Point B, Inc. helps organizations form, execute, and thrive. With capabilities including Management Consulting, Venture Investment and Advisory, and Property Development, our integrated businesses provide value to the organizations and communities we serve.
About this Company
| Website: www.pointb.com|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, 98101|| US Sites: 10|
| Major Locations: Seattle, Washington, 98101; Chicago, Illinois, 60606; Denver, Colorado, 80202; Los Angeles, California, 90045; Portland, Oregon, 97209; San Francisco, California, 94105; Boston, Massachusetts, 02109; Austin, Texas, 78701; Dallas, Texas, 75240; Phoenix, Arizona, 85016|| US Employees: 651|
| US Revenues: $156.1 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $156.1 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1995|
Perks and Programs
We asked Point B Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Annual Getaway: Many of our employee-owners have a partner at home that supports their work at Point B. We recognize both our associates and their partners with a fully-sponsored two-night, three day summer getaway. Every summer. These gatherings have become a highly-anticipated part of our associates’ and their significant others’ years. In 2017, each employee in all of our 10 markets across the nation will be able to have a weekend “on us.”
- 100% Employee-Ownership: Point B became 100% employee-owned in 2014. We are one of the few employee-owned consulting firms in existence, and our associates take their ownership seriously. They make different decisions because of their stake in the game. They’re more apt to think about the company they want to work for in 15 – 20 years versus how a partner is going to get paid out at the end of the year. Our purpose for existing has always been for the benefit of our people; we know this purpose attracts and retains the best talent and allows for the superior delivery of quality every day by every employee-owner as they interact with clients, partners, and the community.
- Flexibility to Live: Unlike traditional consulting firms, most Point B associates have the choice to work in the city in which they live, and they own their schedule based on client needs. This flexibility gives our associates the time to incorporate work into life, instead of the other way around.
- Community Impact: Point B has extended our culture into the communities in which we live and work for the last 22 years. We actively sponsor and donate to nonprofit organizations across the country, and offer support for the more than 70 associates who take a leadership role in non-profit or community boards. Our associates have the chance to make a difference with their leadership skills in support of causes they care about the most.
- Culture and Values: Point B takes culture seriously. So much so that we assign leadership to help foster the firm’s culture in each of the ten cities in which we have an office. Our Culture Directors are charged with ensuring our culture and traditions don’t fall by the wayside. It’s critical to us that we are deliberate in maintaining culture and celebrating it in ways that are visible and engaging. For us, that means the big stuff – getaways and practice meeting with a major fun component – and the small stuff, such as one-on-one coffees, recognizing a great contribution to a client on internal social media channels like Yammer, and taking care of one another during tough personal times.
- Social Responsibility: Point B sees social responsibility as a natural outgrowth of our relentless emphasis on our people. We also see it as an opportunity to create bottom-line value for clients, communities, and our firm. We are working toward a world in which Point B’s values, business, and investments generate positive change. We impact that change through social and environmental innovation, impact investing, and a healthy, diverse, and inclusive workforce. The projects we invest in embed social responsibility principles into the way we work, play and live.
- Professional Skills Development: Point B offers associates a variety of sponsored training programs focused on developing knowledge expertise, skill mastery, and leadership competency. A select sample of programs in 2016 included: Big Picture Thinking, Executive Presence, Giving & Receiving Feedback, and The Art of Selling, to name a few. Additionally, Point B has made a significant investment in a specialized program that provides associates with the opportunity to capture 360-degree feedback from internal and external constituencies and to work with a coach to develop a specialized development plan for their career.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|100% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 86% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| 100% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|| 16 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
- Employee stock ownership plan (ESOP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Compressed work weeks (20% use it)
- Subsided On- or Off-site Fitness (30% have access)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|30 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*||30 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|30 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| CSR Initiative Lead Leads environmental impact team|| Self-Conducted Environmental impact audit|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Recycling program|
| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Managing Director of People is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Point B Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
At Point B we look for self-driven leaders who thrive working alongside exceptional colleagues and dynamic industry leading clients. And above all, we aim to find people who share our values, employee ownership mindset, and ambition to make Point B better.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Point B is a place that takes pride in building trust and relationships. And we want to know what’s important to you. Please take the time to let us know the values you’re looking for in an employer, how you define your leadership skills, your breadth of expertise, and how you like to grow as a team member and a person. These things really matter at Point B.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are looking for candidates with proven talent, but who also have untapped potential. We’re particularly focused on finding exceptional people for our associate role this year, which requires 3 to 7 years of experience.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Check out our website www.pointb.com or contact someone you know at Point B.
| 150 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 13% Job Growth|
| 91 Average applicants per opening|| 11,000 Total job applicants|
| 65% New hires by employee referrals|| 37% Openings filled by current employees|
| 6 Recent graduates hired|