PCL Construction is a group of independent construction companies working in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, and Australia with presence in 31 major centers. An annual construction volume greater than $6 billion makes us one of North America’s largest contractors.
How to Get Hired
We asked PCL Construction for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Key charactersitics PCL looks for when hiring a new emplolyee include:
- Competitive and collaborative nature: our team is made up of individuals who care about their work and look out for one another.
- Self-motivated and committed to life-long learning: our employees are empowered to own their career development.
- Solution provider mentality: our employees are encouraged to consistently deliver beyond the expected and provide an outstanding experience.
- Community minded: PCLers take pride in giving back.
- Safety minded: our employees believe in our safety culture. Making sure that our employees leave work and return home to their families safely every day.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
To set themselves apart from other candidates, perspective employees can go beyond the traditional application process, connecting with us on LinkedIn and asking questions on social media is a great way to connect with local human resources staff. If the prospective employee is an employee referral, it’s always great to get the introduction from the employee too. If the candidate does get the opportunity to interview, they should do their homework before arriving to show they are serious about the company. Additionally, it's nice to send a hand written thank you note following an interview. Almost no one does this today and it’s a real differentiator.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
PCL is a growing organization! Most of our open positions will be in operations for the coming year. This includes positions such as Field Engineers, Project Engineers, Project Managers, Estimators and Superintendents.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates should visit www.pcl.com. They can also learn more about PCL by visiting the employer reviews pages on internet job boards such as Indeed or Glassdoor and familiarizing themselves with our social media pages on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.