What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
People celebrate special events around here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
What They Do
We asked O.C. Tanner Company to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We’re the global leader in employee recognition and engagement. Thousands of international clients, including 30 of Fortune's 100 Best Companies To Work For 2016, use our technology, awards, services, and training to develop magnetic cultures, accomplish and appreciate great work, improve wellbeing, and influence greatness.
About this Company
| Website: www.octanner.com|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Salt Lake City, Utah|| US Sites: 44|
| Major Locations: Park City, Utah; San Ramon, California|| US Employees: 1,440|
| US Revenues: $478 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $478 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 1,600|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1927|
Perks and Programs
We asked O.C. Tanner Company to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Greatness is in Our Genes: At O.C. Tanner, we know greatness lives inside all of us. We understand that employees voluntarily give their heart and soul to their work (truly engage) when they are, 1) given opportunities to contribute in meaningful ways, and 2) recognized and appreciated their work makes a difference. A wide variety of online and offline ways to give and receive keeps recognition fun and participation levels high. Rewards include custom trophies, merchandise, buttons and badges, gift cards, points that accumulate toward awards (delivered online or by certificate), and emblematic and symbolic awards. Because employees are both givers and receivers, celebrating great work has become a part of our DNA. Friendships flourish here. People walk through the door each day excited to collaborate and do amazing things together.
- Wellbeing at Work: At O.C. Tanner, wellbeing includes physical, social, and emotional wellness. Maximum energy and work/life balance are achieved through our on-site fitness facility, massage therapy, physical therapy, employee café with a master chef, financial planning classes, health fairs, health screenings, volleyball, soccer, walking paths, monthly lunch and learns, an online rewards program connected to wearable devices, onsite Weight Watchers classes, employee assistance program, golf tournaments, cycling groups, free fruits and snacks, tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, development opportunities, employee picnics, department movies, bowling, laser tag and chef contest outings. All of these things make for healthier employees who are enthusiastic, happy, and a pleasure to work with as colleagues and friends. O.C. Tanner's focus on total wellbeing makes this a healthy, fun, and inspiring place to work.
- Tanner Cares Fund: We care for employees and our employees care for each other. When employees experience emergencies,they can get assistance from an account funded by employee donations that are matched by the company. Employees feel pride and satisfaction that they've helped coworkers have a place to turn for help. And the fund fosters a sense of family and community.
- Bonuses and More Bonuses: O.C. Tanner has a history of being generous with employees. Substantial bonuses are given to every employee based on company performance twice a year. During the year, other bonuses include $300 at Christmas, $100 at Thanksgiving, $100 on each employee’s birthday, $250, plus $25 for each service year of service is paid to employees three times a year - June, September and December. O C. Tanner's shareholders occasionally give an extra surprise bonus (which can be double the performance bonus) to thank employees for a successful year.
- A Beautiful Oasis: Obert C. Tanner believed in beauty. Pure and simple. His legacy continues today. Our park-like grounds make it easy to forget that our headquarters is really a manufacturing facility, disguised as a high tech office complex. Our campus is a garden. A full-time florist and greenhouse crew are regular employees. The windows that wrap around the buildings allow natural light to touch nearly every office. Art from highly acclaimed Western artists adorns our walls. Our recent expansion includes an auditorium, world-class meeting areas, an employee plaza, garden walking paths and water features. The beautiful surroundings create a place where employees enjoy their work and each other.
- Free Drinks and Snacks: Our onsite cafe provides free fountain drinks, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, as well as a morning and afternoon snack for employees.
- Dependent Scholarships: O.C. Tanner offers scholarships for our employees’ children and grandchildren. We contribute $130,000 a year to ongoing dependent scholarships. Ten to thirteen new scholarships are awarded every year. Scholarships are available to children of full-time employees (Directors and Vice Presidents are not eligible).
- Adoption Assistance: Employees are eligible for adoption assistance in the amount of $4,000 per child with no limit on the number of adoptions.
- Family Celebrations: A company-wide buffet is held at the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake City during the holiday season. Each employee is able to bring a guest to share in the festivities where over 2,600 people are served a fine sit-down dinner. We also sponsor Lagoon Day at a local amusement park, where all family members participate in rides, water park adventures, and a picnic lunch.
- Community Giving: Our founder, Obert Tanner, believed in giving back to the community and helping those in need. Our Chair of the Board and Obert's daugher, Carolyn Tanner Irish, has identified four areas of charitable giving: Arts, Education, Humanitarian Need, and the Environment. O.C. Tanner donated over $3.87 million last year to various organizations focused on these causes. The company has several executives serving as board members of local charities, such as YWCA, the Utah Food Bank, and the Road Home, a local homeless shelter. The company encourages every employee to volunteer by providing 8 hours each year of paid leave to give back to the community.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $37,953 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Manufacturing Team Member|| $94,144 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Manager|
| 10% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6.5% of an employee's salary||80% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 80% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $1,587 College Tuition Reimbursement|
- Long-term care insurance to employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
- On-site package/mailing service
- Discount ticket sales
- Weight watchers meetings
- Subsidized public transportation
- Free beverages during the day
- Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
- Massage therapy
- Fitness classes
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 21 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 11 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 10 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 5 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|5 days Job-protected maternity leave||5 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|5 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||5 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|5 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$4,000 Adoption benefit||5 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
|5 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Breast cancer screening
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center (only at headquarters)
- Skin cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $3,870,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| $256,926 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|
- Formal programs support professional development for: Women
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked O.C. Tanner Company for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
O.C. Tanner is looking for people who are curious, creative, collaborative, want to learn, want to share their own expertise, and have a desire to influence greatness.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Read the positions on the website, octanner.com/careers, learn about who we are and what we do, and contact the People & Great Work Team to talk about O.C. Tanner.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are looking for enthusiastic and collaborative innovators throughout O.C. Tanner. Many of our open positions are in technology, client services, manufacturing, sales and marketing.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Go to O.C. Tanner's website, www.octanner.com/careers. Follow us on the social media referenced on the website. Candidates are welcome to send e-mails describing why they want to join O.C. Tanner.
| 250 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 4% Job Growth|
| 18 Average applicants per opening|| 6,021 Applications received|
| 246 Positions filled in past year|| 17% New hires by employee referrals|
| 143 New positions created|| 46 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 19 New graduates hired|
| 6% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 17% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|