What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
People celebrate special events around here.
What They Do
We asked Northland Communications to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Since 1905, Northland Communications has grown to be a total solutions telecom provider of commercial telephone systems, voice and data products, local dial tone, long distance, cloud and internet services to Central New York businesses.
About this Company
| Website: www.northland.net|| Industry: Telecommunications|
| US Headquarters: Holland Patent, New York, 13354|| US Sites: 2|
| Major Locations: Syracuse, New York, 13204|| US Employees: 100|
| US Revenues: $24.2 million|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1905|
Perks and Programs
We asked Northland Communications to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- True North Week: Northland hosts True North week (Employee Appreciation Week) every October where employees are recognized each day of that week. Events are determined each year and can include Managers taking their Departments to lunch, photo day, thank you cards, and “Northland” personalized gifts.
- The BrainTrust: Within the past couple years, a book club was created by the team leader of our True North Team (recognition team) called the “Braintrust”. The purpose is to bring employees together to talk about their personal passion and or what motivates them both at work and home.
- Telecommuting Program: This policy allows the employees of many departments the flexibility of working at home, up to one full day per week. They can schedule these days around upcoming personal or customer appointments, and in the event of bad weather.
- Annual Events: The Company holds family friendly events such as an annual company picnic (summer outing) and a Holiday party. During the annual summer outing, the offices are closed on a Friday afternoon and the event is held at a centrally local beach.
- Lunch & Learn Events: These are held every other month, and employees are invited to attend during an extended lunch period. Topics can include tips on using work or personal technology, and employees are invited to submit ideas for topics or speak on a topic should they desire to.
- Fun Days: Employees are encouraged to submit ideas for “fun days”, which have included in the past red food day, Syracuse Orange day (basketball team), ice cream sundae day, or soup day for example. They have also included cooking competitions with a company sponsored prize.
- Milestone Anniversary celebrations: Employees celebrating milestone anniversaries 25+ years are recognized with a plaque and office or department luncheon of their choosing.
- Service Time: Employees accumulate one week of service time per year worked starting at five weeks and up to a maximum of ten weeks. Eligible employees will receive their full weekly salary for each year of service time, once every 52-week period, if they are out of work on a qualified disability.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 4% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 4% of salary||62% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Employees enrolled in high deductible Health Plans)|
| 62% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Employees enrolled in high deductible Health Plans)|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 22 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 7 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 6 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 22 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
| 7 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Telecommute option (68% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (11% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (Coffee & Water provided)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||50 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|48 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|2 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
|2 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $118,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Northland Communications for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Key characteristics that tell us if a prospective employee will be a great fit are determined during the first and second interview. We look for candidates that are prepared for the interview, demonstrate enthusiasm and positivity in their responses, and can think and respond creatively to the interview questions, particularly the ones that focus on our culture. We also look for evidence in all responses that they have an optimistic attitude, and that they have successfully handled challenges in their past employment. All candidates take a personality profile which are ordered should they be selected for a second interview, and questions are derived from the results in order to determine if they would be successful as well as happy working in the position for which they applied.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees can get our attention by following up proactively on their job application once they apply, and again after they are interviewed. During the first interview, demonstrating that they have done research on the company is a plus, and being prepared with questions about the position for which they have applied is recommended. Demonstrating a positive attitude, creative thinking, and enthusiasm in their responses will set that candidate apart from rest.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates can visit our website, www.Northland.net, to learn more about our company. They can apply to a current open position in the Careers section, or if there isn’t a position open that interests them at this time, they can apply through the general application also located in the Careers section.
| 8 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 2% Job Growth|
| 11 Average applicants per opening|| 120 Total job applicants|
| 9% New hires by employee referrals|| 73% Openings filled by current employees|
| 2 Recent graduates hired|| 50% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|