What You Should Know
If you work for a company whose products and services make a tangible difference in the health of people around the world, you’d understand feeling more than a bit of pride in what you do.
And since that’s what Nihon Kohden America does, specializing in patient monitoring equipment for hospitals and health systems, that’s just how the "heroes" at this organization feel.
“What makes this a great place to work is the overall mission in patient care and safety,” says one employee. “If I were a patient in a hospital, I would want Nihon Kohden equipment to monitor my health.
Over and over, employees comment on the pride they feel in their work. Eighty-five percent of them say they’re proud of what they accomplish, and eight out of 10 feel they’re making a difference.
“This company,” says one employee, “is made up of people who are proud of what they do and will go the extra mile to ensure our success.”
Nihon Kohden America, which is the U.S. division of the Japan-based parent company, also gets high marks from employees for being a safe, welcoming place to work with caring and friendly colleagues who take the time to celebrate special events with each other. NKA, which has locations in Irvine, California, and Allentown, Pennsylvania, makes a point to kick in extra benefits and perks to help employees feel valued. Among those: weekly raffles, an employee wellness program, a 401(k) match and a handsome stipend for tuition reimbursement.
“There is a common goal to provide excellent products and service to our customers,” one employee says about the underlying sentiment at the company.
Job seekers hoping to join a company where they feel that they’re making a difference in people’s lives should know that in the last 12 months, NKA had an impressive 1,917 applicants for open positions, filling 96 openings.
“I have the opportunity to change people’s lives with my unique skill set,” says one employee. Never in my life would I imagine a role like this being so gratifying.”
What Employees Say
This is a physically safe place to work.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
What They Do
We asked Nihon Kohden America to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a leading healthcare innovator that helps hospitals meet their unique clinical and financial challenges. Our Patient Monitoring, Neurology and Cardiology instrumentation solutions have enabled healthcare providers to deliver better patient outcomes while keeping costs under control.
About this Company
| Website: http://us.nihonkohden.com/|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: Irvine, California|| US Sites: 2|
| Major Locations: Allentown, Pennsylvania|| US Employees: 272|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1979|
Perks and Programs
We asked Nihon Kohden America to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Culture of Gratitude: Recognition for employee achievements and goals is given during the Weekly Stand-Up Meetings. A Token of Appreciation can be presented to a co-worker to show them appreciation and will be entered in a weekly raffle to have a chance to win prizes. NKA wants all employees, managers and peers alike, to remember why we do what we do.
- People Development: Management Fundamentals, Team Building, Employment Law and so many more. Employees have an abundance of training seminars to take to broaden their knowledge. NKA encourages them to take these classes, whether it relates to their responsibilities or for their own self-improvement, to discover their inner hero.
- Employee Empowerment: Be the hero. Begin a thriving career with a work environment designed to provide the freedom and support needed to achieve great things every day. The NKA leadership team makes it a priority to make sure employees have input and control over their work, have the ability to share suggestions and ideas, and are given the resources to be successful.
- Wellness Program: Monthly initiatives are here to encourage healthy lifestyles and improve mind, body, and soul. Learn to hula hoop, teach others a language, or lead any class you can think of. The possibilities are endless. We want NKA heroes to share their special powers and others to gain some new ones.
- Employee Engagement Initiatives: Heroes need a break from saving the world sometimes. Events, activities, and anything to relax are in the works on a weekly basis. And who else knows what employees want than the employees themselves? The Employee Engagement Committee is here to make work fun!
- Hero of the Month: Each month, all NK team members are able to nominate who they believe went above and beyond the call of duty in their work. Our CEO will select one hero from the nominees to be honored and presented during one of our Stand-Up meetings. They are awarded with a VIP parking space, having their name engraved on our Hero of the Month plaque, and a hero figurine that mirrors our hero’s strength and courage..
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary||70% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| $5,250 College Tuition Reimbursement|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Discount ticket sales
- Car wash
- Free beverages during the day
- Fitness classes
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 26 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Flu shots
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Complete biometric screening
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $97,789 Philanthropic donations in last year|
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Nihon Kohden America employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"I know that I'm making a difference by working for NKA because our products are saving people's lives, and even though I work at the corporate office, largely removed from customers and patients, I know that we are all in this together pushing toward the same goal."
"This company is made up of people who are proud of what they do and will go the extra mile to ensure our success."
"The business model and value proposition we offer our customers may be the friendliest and most aggressive in the industry.
"They place a high emphasis on experienced employees that may be considered too old for other companies who seem to want a younger workforce. This is both refreshing and smart.
"I enjoy working with all the diverse members of this company; it helps me learn a lot about different cultures as well as doing something I enjoy."
"Nihon Kohden consistently offers programs that have helped me grow. Some of the newest programs include educational benefits, as well as fitness reimbursement to maintain a healthy lifestyle."
"From the day of orientation, I have felt welcomed. A new hire getting greeted by the CEO who later remembers your name says to me that he is a good leader."
"The people on my team really care and we are like family. I feel like my team has my back and they really want me to do well.
"What makes this a great place to work is the overall mission in patient care and safety. If I were a patient in a hospital I would want Nihon Kohden equipment to monitor my health"
"There is a common goal to provide excellent products and service to our customers. The same goes for the employees. They are treated with respect and given opportunities to grow. They care about their people.
How to Get Hired
We asked Nihon Kohden America for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We are looking for “Heroes” that are willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to serve our customers and to advance our vision in fighting disease and promoting health through our technology. We hire individuals who are passionate about what they do, are committed to delivering quality results, enjoy a challenge, are innovative, and work collaboratively with others. We're looking for extraordinary individuals who want to make a difference.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Apply online! Show us the Hero in you.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Clinical Application Specialist, Per Diem RN’s, Sales, Nurse Educators/Implementation Specialists, Technical Support, Installation Technicians and Clinical Support Installers
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our website and career page for further details!
| 9% Job Growth|| 18 Average applicants per opening|
| 1,917 Applications received|| 96 Positions filled in past year|