What You Should Know
Nihon Kohden is a global organization headquartered in Japan that provides patient monitoring equipment for hospitals and health systems around the world. In the US, Nihon Kohden America has three locations, employing close to 330 team members in total.
The critical work its people do give employees a lot to feel proud about. “The technology is cutting edge and we have a unique opportunity to provide better and safer health care," explains one US team member. More than eight in ten colleagues share this sentiment, reporting that they too are proud to tell others they work for Nihon Kohden and that they feel their work makes a difference.
Extending the pride employees feel in the life-saving products they develop, Nihon Kohden employees also take heart from the broader good they do in the world. All employees earn eight hours of paid off time to volunteer each year, and 86 percent feel good about the impact the company has on their communities.
But the benefits of working for Nihon Kohden aren’t all external. Employees enjoy frequent celebrations and work among a caring team. Nine out of 10 employees say that Nihon Kohden regularly marks special events, citing catered meals, personal thank you notes, public recognition, raffle drawings, and even the occasional onsite massage therapist as ways the company goes out of its way to bring some celebration into the workplace. Similarly, eight out of 10 employees feel they work with caring colleagues. “My parent's house was destroyed in the Northern California wildfires,” recounts one employee. “The company fully supported me when I needed to go help them for a week. The company even sent flowers to my parents. For me, that spoke volumes.”
The benefits package includes a tuition reimbursement allowance, 24 days of paid time off after one year of employment and other benefits, though some would like to be compensated at a higher level.
"The company has placed trust in me, and in return, I am very dedicated," summarizes one employee. "When people at work are so supportive, it makes for a great environment."
What Employees Say
People celebrate special events around here.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
People care about each other here.
I feel I make a difference here.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked Nihon Kohden to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a leading healthcare innovator that helps hospitals meet their unique clinical and financial challenges. Our Patient Monitoring, Neurology and Cardiology instrumentation solutions have enabled healthcare providers to deliver better patient outcomes while keeping costs under control.
About this Company
| Website: http://us.nihonkohden.com/|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: Irvine, California, 92618|| US Sites: 3|
| Major Locations: Irvine, California; Allentown, Pennsylvania|| US Employees: 327|
| US Revenues: $132 million|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1979|
Perks and Programs
We asked Nihon Kohden to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Employee Empowerment: Employee Empowerment: Be the hero. Begin a thriving career with a work environment designed to provide the freedom and support needed to achieve great things every day. The NK leadership team makes it a priority to make sure employees have input and control over their work, have the ability to share suggestions and ideas, and are given the resources to be successful.
- People Development: Technical Training, Management Fundamentals, Team Building, Employment Law and so many more. Employees have an abundance of training opportunities to broaden their knowledge. NK encourages employees to discover their inner hero through employee development, whether it relates to their responsibilities or for their own self-improvement.
- Employee Engagement Initiatives: Heroes need a break from saving the world sometimes. Events, activities, and anything to relax are in the works on a weekly basis. And who else knows what employees want better than the employees themselves? Through the Employee Engagement Committee, employees give input and help make work fun!
- Hero of the Month: Each month, all NK team members nominate employees who they believe went above and beyond the call of duty in their work. Our CEO selects one nominee to be honored and presented during our Weekly All Employee Meetings. They are awarded with a VIP parking space, have their name engraved on our Hero of the Month plaque, and receive a hero figurine that symbolizes their superhero strength and courage.
- Culture of Gratitude: Recognition for employee achievements and goals is given during the Weekly All Employee Meetings. Management recognizes employees with Atta Boys/Atta Girls, and Employee Notables during the meetings. Also, employees can present other co-workers a Token of Appreciation to show appreciation and the recipient is entered in a weekly raffle for a chance to win prizes. NK acknowledges employees’ hard work and contributions.
- Wellness Program: Monthly initiatives are here to encourage healthy lifestyles and improve mind, body, and soul. Learn to hula hoop, teach others a language, attend a lunch and learn, or lead any class you can think of. The possibilities are endless. We encourage our heroes to stay healthy and support their personal wellness goals.
- Additional Perks: Catered Lunches, Snacks, Friday Breakfast Club, Fitness Classes, Massages, Fitness Reimbursements, Commuter Incentives, Professional Development Reimbursement, Tuition Reimbursement, Lunch & Learns, Wellness Fair, Discounted Tickets, Referral Bonus, Life Assistance Program, and NK University
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|70% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 60% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| $5,250 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 10 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 7 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $98,597 Philanthropic donations in last year|
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Carbon offset program|
- 2 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Nihon Kohden employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"The products are remarkable. The employees take pride in their work and motivate each other."
"There is a genuine care for our employees well-being, unlike I have seen at other companies. It is a really good feeling knowing your'e more than just an employee here."
"I truly feel that my voice is heard at Nihon. I am proud of the work we do, and I feel confident in being myself with this company."
"NKA is unique in that we have the benefits of a large parent organization, NKC, and a small company environment at NKA. This creates strong relationships and no bureaucracy. We are empowered to make decisions and have a positive impact."
"The management team here is incredible to work with. They truly want each of us to be successful and will help us achieve and reach our goals. The marketing team listens to our suggestions to better meet our customers' needs and makes changes based on those needs."
"This company gives opportunities to anyone; people just have to be willing to take a chance and it will be noticed by others throughout the organization."
"Nihon Kohden projects can be quite diverse, which I prefer and keeps each experience special and nothing routine."
"I love the technology and the fact that we get to make a positive impact in people's lives."
"We are a bunch of like-minded people who want to do the best job for our customers."
" I am proud to represent NK, as the quality and value of our products are the best in the industry."
How to Get Hired
We asked Nihon Kohden for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We are looking for “Heroes” that are willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to serve our customers and to advance our vision in fighting disease and promoting health through our technology. We hire individuals who are passionate about what they do, are committed to delivering quality results, enjoy a challenge, are innovative, and work collaboratively with others. We're looking for extraordinary individuals who want to make a difference.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Apply online! Show us the Hero in you.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Clinical Application Specialist, Per Diem RN’s, Sales, Nurse Educators/Implementation Specialists, Technical Support, Network Engineers and Clinical Support Installers
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our website and career page for further details! http://us.nihonkohden.com/careers/
| 75 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 31% Job Growth|
| 5,300 Total job applicants|| 14% Openings filled by current employees|