What stands out for NetApp employees is this data management company's office culture and commitment to the community. People hang out together, volunteer as a team and enjoy regular beer bashes.



This review is based on 1217 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.57. It was published on Apr 20, 2015. 26501 Visitors

What You Should Know

At NetApp, employees value their company's friendly, caring culture and strong commitment to the community. Here, employees shoulder a lot of responsibility, but they're trusted to get the job done. And it's not about working crazy hours — they're encouraged to use flexible schedules to create a work-life balance. On their down time, co-workers get together for activities like hiking or volleyball, or the employee-favorite — beer bashes held regularly. They can also beat the stress in their onsite gym. Volunteerism is big here, with each full-time employee getting 40 paid volunteer hours per year, so those not inclined to giving back might be a better fit elsewhere. "The culture is the flagship of NetApp," says one employee. "The company, the people and their values stack up to its solidified position in the industry and make it a great place to work."  


NetApp is a large, international provider of data management and storage. 

Website: www.netapp.com US Headquarters: Sunnyvale, California
Stock Symbol: NTAP US Employees: 7459
US revenues: $3130.9 million Worldwide revenues: $6325.05 million
Employees worldwide: 12,300 Founded: 1992
Industry: Information Technology


Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At NetApp, 81 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 13 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.

NetApp employees provide their customers with data storage and management solutions. The company has approximately 7,459 employees in the United States, where they operate 48 locations.

Most employees (87 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and almost as many (85 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (78 percent), their work at NetApp is more than just a job - it provides special meaning.

At NetApp, 85 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at NetApp, 71 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 5 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.

Supporting Employee Development

  • College Tuition Reimbursement: $5,250
  • Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 56 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 56 hours
  • NetApp offers the Leadership Framework to help create new company leaders for the future. Another program, NetApp University, provides professional, technical, sales and management development programs. Employees can also access an extensive catalog of web-based courses and web lectures. In addition to formal development programs, NetApp employees can learn new things on the job and take advantage of mentorship opportunities.
NetApp focuses on customer success while tying in employee career advancement. I find that the balance of product quality and cadence with employee success is very consistent. I am also happy to find new challenges and problems to solve each day I arrive; this makes my job interesting and fun.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At NetApp, 80 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 14 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.

NetApp employees enjoy free access to the company gym, cafeterias that have healthy offerings and coffee machines on every floor to keep them fuelled. Regular beer bashes and theme-named conference rooms add fun to the workplace.

Fun and Celebrations

  • Most NetApp employees describe a friendly, team atmosphere. This lends itself well to celebrations. The company says staff members get together through various channels, including: team-building events, holiday festivities, employee appreciation activities and everyday team fun. NetApp also regularly celebrates team- and firm-wide successes, such as when the company was chosen to be the official data storage provider for the National Football League (NFL) during Super Bowl XLVII. Beer bashes are also an employee-favorite at NetApp. Some locations hold them quarterly, some monthly, some biweekly and some even hold them every single week. 

Caring and Support

  • NetApp promotes flexibility, work-life balance and healthy living through various programs and initiatives. For employees who run into a crisis, the NetApp team comes together to help. The company provides sick time, paid time off, bereavement leave and additional support such as counseling. Another source of help is Life Resources, the company's employee assistance program (EAP). This is a free, confidential, full-service program that offers financial consultations, legal consultations, elder care services, parenting and child care resources, depression awareness and counseling services.
People celebrate special events around here.
The atmosphere is positive and upbeat and fun is encouraged! Facilities and onsite services are amazing! Employees have respect for one another and the benefits NetApp offers. Executives are approachable and with their positive and encouraging voice in the company, they play a strong role in setting the tone and facilitating the collaborative culture we enjoy.



Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At NetApp, 78 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 15 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 93 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.

The benefits are wonderful in terms of 401K, health, dental, performance-based incentives, Thank You Award program, opportunities to grow, some of the best training in the world with NetAppU. The coffee machines, great cafeteria, Beer Bashes every other week, sports leagues, giving back to the community. The list goes on and on.


75% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 24 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage
60% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to a maximum of $3,000 82% Company-paid health coverage for employees


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account
  • Employee stock purchase plan


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Car wash
  • Vehicle maintenance
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Take-home meals on a regular, daily basis
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Banking


22 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment $20,000 Adoption benefit
120 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA


  • Lactation rooms
  • Elder care resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
The support of work/life balance is fantastic. I feel my manager respects this and definitely supports and encourages me when I take time off.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments


  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Fitness center
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Complete biometric screening
  • Mobile medical clinics

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At NetApp, 84 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 12 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.

NetApp's values are trust, integrity, leadership, simplicity, adaptability, teamwork, go beyond and getting things done. The company is proud to report $6.33 billion in revenue in the past year, and a recent move from number 474 to number 408 on the Fortune 500 list. 

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What's unique to me about NetApp is the people, the culture and the transparency from our management. I have been working for NetApp for over 10 years and to this day I still feel the hunger and drive that I felt when I first joined. This continues to fuel my passion for IT. NetApp has been great to me and my family. I feel very proud to work for NetApp and to work with such talented people here who on a daily basis embrace the NetApp culture.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per full-time employee per year: 40 hours
  • Paid time to volunteer per part-time employee per year: 24 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $1,560,951
  • Employees frequently mention the company's commitment to giving back to the community in their surveys. NetApp takes part in various community initiatives, including: supporting food banks, donating to disaster relief funds, giving cash to nonprofits and volunteering with organizations such as Rebuilding Together, Surf for Life, Africa Mission Services, the American Heart Association, the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, Movember, Autism Speaks and Turning Wheels for Kids.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
People willingly give back to the community. They use both their VTO (Voluntary Time Off) days building homes and schools, repairing and upgrading homes of elderly and disabled, sorting and distributing food at the local food banks and raising funds for high-impact charities. It's in the company's DNA -- people go looking for ways to give back. Giving-back activities are an integral part of the annual Senior Leaders Meeting. Over the years, they have done things that have helped tens of thousands of people. This is an enormous source of pride.

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At NetApp, 78 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 16 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

With 48 locations, clear communication is vital. Most NetApp employees describe a team atmosphere and accessible managers, which no doubt foster better communication. Eighty-five percent of staff members report management is approachable and easy to talk with. To that end, almost eight out of 10 employees say they can ask management any reasonable question and come away with a straight answer. Seventy-seven percent also feel that managers genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas, evidencing an interest in employee feedback. Three-quarters of employees add that managers make their expectations clear and almost eight out of 10 say management keeps them informed of important issues and changes in the company.

The lines of communication are open from the individual contributor through the ranks to the CEO. There are tools in place to communicate to the various levels. The unique part is that they actually respond directly to comments. I have never worked for a company where I felt heard on all levels should I need to communicate to them. Additionally, the atmosphere fosters a sense that regardless of title, we are all part of a team. My VP is very approachable and he ensures that he is visible onsite. From eating in the cafeteria, to chatting with folks in the break rooms, he is 'one of us' not 'one of them.'

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At NetApp, 74 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 18 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 92 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.

NetApp employees widely appreciate the positive, team-oriented company culture their leaders encourage. Employees paint a picture of their managers as honest and ethical, and good at their jobs. Ninety-one percent say management is honest and ethical in its business practices. Eighty-two percent also report managers are competent at running NetApp. Most employees feel that management cares about them, evidenced by the 78 percent who report managers show a sincere interest in staff members as people, not just as employees. Showcasing management's reliability, 78 percent also say managers' actions match their words, and almost as many (77 percent) say managers deliver on their promises. 

I think management genuinely seeks feedback and reacts to the comments received. For example, they are working to increase growth and rotational opportunities for employees.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Coffee in Abundance: Employees say they enjoy having coffee/espresso machines on every floor.
  • Beer Bashes: An employee favorite, NetApp's beer bashes are a fun way to build team camaraderie and a sense of community in the workplace. Some sites hold them quarterly, others monthly or biweekly and some hold them on a regular weekly basis. 
  • Community Commitment: NetApp gives full-time employees 40 hours of paid time to volunteer each year. The company's commitment to the community is something staff members consistently mention in their surveys. In addition to volunteering with organizations such as Africa Mission Services, the American Heart Association, the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, Movember, Autism Speaks and more, NetApp donates money to various nonprofits and community projects. In the last year, NetApp gave $1,560,951 in philanthropic donations.
  • Healthy Living: NetApp puts an emphasis on healthy living. It provides a free fitness center to staff members, where they can take advantage of Weight Watchers meetings, healthy living seminars, recreation clubs, massage therapy, Spinning, yoga, dance and many other types of classes. Other initiatives include company fitness challenges, healthy food in the cafeteria, fruit every Tuesday and outdoor group activities like running, hiking, skating and playing volleyball. The company is also committed to cultivating a healthy work-life balance for its team, and is open to flexible scheduling and telecommuting. 
  • Stocks: NetApp's Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) allows employees to invest up to 10 percent of their salaries and purchase NetApp shares at a 15-percent discount from either the price at the beginning of offering or the price at the purchase date. The plan has a two-year “look back” feature, even though NetApp says most of the high-tech industry has moved to a six-month “look back” period. This feature allows a participant to lock in their purchase price upon plan enrollment. The advantage of having a two-year versus a six-month lock period is the appreciation in value that may be obtained over a longer timeframe. As long as stock increases, the larger the employee discount the employee will receive from the fair market value of the stock. NetApp says 8,400 employees participate in its ESPP currently. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from NetApp employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"Work-life balance here is excellent. Management strongly encourages movement within the company instead of having people leave."

"The culture is the flagship of NetApp. The company, the people and their values stack up to its solidified position in the industry and make it a great place to work. The benefits that other companies provide will fall behind when it comes to working for NetApp. It's a company that honors and respects values of the employees, that encourages women leadership and executive advancement, that encourages career building, that provides a safe and nurturing environment for employees, that promotes great culture and discourages dirty politics. I take a great sense of pride working for so many years at NetApp and I am glad that I have contributed to making it a wonderful company to work. Great culture runs from the executive level all the way through top down across all hierarchies. Go NetApp!"

"NetApp, from day one, targets employee culture. It is relatively simple to get a few new hires acclimated, but being part of an acquisition with an entirely new site and hundreds of employees that have already worked years together, it had to have been a challenge. But being part of that class of employees, I can say they really do things differently. There is a sense of comradery and pride unlike anywhere I have ever worked. The culture is real here, and that's something I will never take for granted."

"My favorite thing about NetApp is that they really reward their top performers both through raises, ICP and promotions. The competition is very tough here, but I find that either the best man/woman wins or the choice is made based on business requirements. Political decisions are becoming more and more scarce. I like to know that I have a fair chance and if a decision is made otherwise, but I see the benefit to the company, I am okay with that. This is the way I have seen things done over the past seven years in the role and it is a very pleasant thing to see. The right people are getting recognized and promoted, in my opinion."

"It's just different working at NetApp. There's a tremendous amount of passion, commitment and enthusiasm from the C-suite to the mailroom, and employees feel driven to collaborate and excel in all that they do. Contributions and accomplishments are recognized and rewarded, people are treated and treat others with dignity and respect and the level of integrity is unparalleled. People are encouraged to think differently and without boundaries, and everyone has the opportunity to enable sales and delight our customers."

"The culture of cooperation - people are invited to contribute and encouraged to build bridges and connect within and across organizations. And I love working with my team, they're great people!"

"The people make it a great place to work. Everyone is willing to help each other."

"What's unique/unusual is the effort by management/HR to ensure that voices are heard, that our need for work/life balance is understood and supported, that we are encouraged to have moments of fun (beer bash, Ping Pong table, etc.) to balance our work intensity. That we are treated as humans rather than automatons."

"Employees can go to the company gym anytime they want as long as their exercise activities do not affect their work. The gym is great and free and a lot of employees are taking advantage of using the facility."

"The company makes a great effort to support the local community. I enjoy access to the fitness center, and appreciate the healthy food offerings available in the onsite cafeterias."

"Beer bash every Friday! NetApp provides all of the little things that make this place a great place to work. Free coffee/espresso machines on every floor, bagels/cream cheese every Friday morning, fruit every Tuesday, etc. Management is very cognizant that the employees' life does not revolve around work and they provide ample time to spend time with family and to work out any problems that arise. They are very open to telecommuting and flexible schedules."

"NetApp is a place where I constantly feel the need to help the company grow and scale. There aren't many places where you can work and truly feel that you are making a difference in the direction of the company. We are all in it together and working as a team; we all make it happen. I have had plenty job offers to go to other companies, but NetApp is my home now, and I hope until I retire. NetApp truly is a great place to work."

How to Get Hired

We asked NetApp for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

NetApp places great emphasis on cultural fit, in addition to technical skills. Our interviewers look past the resume, connect with candidates and search for key characteristics that show they will thrive at NetApp. Employees who fit well demonstrate our core values: trust and integrity, leadership, simplicity, adaptability, teamwork, go beyond and get things done. We look for smart, passionate people who have a track record of meeting and exceeding their goals. We want confident employees who approach challenges with a positive attitude, flex to meet a changing environment and display leadership qualities. Employees with excellent cultural fit also excel at collaboration. Our interviewers look for candidates who use “we” statements, as opposed to “I” statements, indicating that they think collaboratively and choose what is best for the whole. Finally, we look for employees with integrity who will not reach for success through dishonest means. 

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

Candidates catch our attention by submitting clear, error-free resumes targeted to specific jobs, including key words and numbers which demonstrate success. After applying, candidates should connect with the relevant recruiter. They can find the recruiter and ask to discuss their qualifications via phone. Candidates can also email us with questions. Though our recruiters cannot respond to every resume, if a candidate has a specific question, we try to answer it. Asking questions, expressing interest and starting a dialogue make candidates stand out. Interested individuals should also contact friends who work at NetApp and ask them to refer them through our online portal. We value employee referrals because employees are excellent judges of culture fit. Recruiters review referrals within five days and pay special attention to these candidates. Finally, candidates should be passionate about what they do and share their stories.

Are there any unusual or especially rigorous steps of your hiring process that candidates should be aware of?

NetApp possesses a standard hiring process, but we place a special emphasis on both cultural and technical fit. Candidates have multiple interviews that allow many to weigh in on the candidate’s fit with the team and culture. Interview teams are comprised of individuals the candidate will work with, from hiring managers to peers. Depending on the position’s requirements, additional screening is performed. For example, advanced technology group candidates give a 45-minute technical presentation across multiple sites. Interviewers use NetApp’s values-based behavioral interviewing. Our questions prompt candidates to share stories that determine whether they possess specific NetApp values and key leadership behaviors. Candidates should prepare to describe situations, specific actions they took and outcomes, positive and negative, in order to understand success and learning in their career. We recognize candidates also interview us and we provide as much information as possible about NetApp and our working environment.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

In sales, NetApp currently looks for people focused on selling solutions and not just products. Given our new strategy and embracing of opportunities presented by the cloud, we want candidates who have sold complex solutions focused on the cloud who will really add value to our strategy. We desire senior candidates who have been integral parts of data center transformations and can communicate the business needs around technology purchases and show the return on investment. In engineering, NetApp continues to focus on hiring systems-level software engineers as well as quality assurance, product managers and technical marketing engineers. However, we focus strongly on SAN, flash storage and kernel/file system development. In addition to sales and engineering, we are also hiring in all areas of the general and administrative functions, including human resources, finance, legal and information technology. Finally, NetApp is also focused on hiring university grads for all functions.    

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Interested candidates should visit our career page (netapp.com/jobs) where they can search and apply for open positions, take a virtual tour of our headquarters, learn about our opportunities for philanthropy and explore benefits and career progressions. The website highlights our desired employee characteristics and provides information about the application and interview process. Candidates should also visit our various social media pages to learn more about our strong culture and innovative work. We update the pages daily with interesting and helpful content - from videos showcasing our latest work to articles on successful interviewing. Our NetApp Culture Facebook highlights our award-winning culture and our LinkedIn career page allows employees to search jobs and read employee testimonials. Finally, candidates should talk to current NetApp employees - the best way to discover why NetApp is a great place to work. Employees may also choose to refer candidates, a great way to get noticed by recruiters.

Hiring Outlook

35Average number of applicants per opening 10%Total voluntary turnover in past year
82664Applicants in past year 1643Openings in past year
23%New hires by employee referrals

Follow NetApp

Related Companies