What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
People celebrate special events around here.
People care about each other here.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
What They Do
We asked MSU Federal Credit Union to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
MSU Federal Credit Union is a financial institution dedicated to providing superior service to members and employees, to reach financial security, goals, and ultimately, dreams. We offer products and services including deposit accounts, personal and business loans, IRAs, and mortgages.
About this Company
| Website: www.msufcu.org|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: East Lansing, Michigan|| US Sites: 18|
| Major Locations: East Lansing, Michigan; Lansing, Michigan; Okemos, Michigan; Rochester, Michigan; Charlotte, Michigan|| US Employees: 727|
| Corporate Structure: Private; Non-Profit|| Founded: 1937|
Perks and Programs
We asked MSU Federal Credit Union to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Wellness Incentive: MSUFCU provides up to a $260 cash incentive program for leading healthy lifestyles
- Community Involvement: MSUFCU employees have a variety of opportunities to be involved in the community. In 2015 employees raised $69,415 for Michigan Youth Opportunities Initiative and $100,000 for the Capital Area United Way.
- Free Benefits: MSUFCU pays the premium for medical, dental, and vision for employee and their dependents.
- Annual Dinner: Each year MSUFCU hosts an annual dinner where 5-6 employees who exemplify what the credit union represents are presented with a Crystal Award. We also have raffle prizes that employees can enter to win.
- Summer Picnic: Each year MSUFCU hosts a summer picnic. Employees can bring their families and enjoy an afternoon of games, food, and friends! Employees can also enter to win raffle prizes.
- VTO: MSUFCU offers full time employees 8 hours of Volunteer Time Off and part time employees 5 hours annually. Employees can use this time to volunteer at any 501(c)(3) organization.
- Paid Time Off: MSUFCU offers full time employees eight hours of PTO per pay period. This is a maximum of 26 days per year, plus eight paid holidays. This time can be used as vacation, sick, or personal time. After five years of service this increases to 10 hours and after 10 years of service it increases to 12 hours.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 200% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 5% of an employee's salary||100% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 100% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
- Health insurance for retirees
- Pre-tax savings account
- Long-term care insurance to employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Massage therapy
- Convenience store
- On-site package/mailing service
- Fitness classes
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 34 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 14 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
- Dental care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Skin cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center (only at headquarters)
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $200,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- 'Chief Human Resources Officer' is accountable to formal diversity goals for employee recruitment and retention
- 3 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked MSU Federal Credit Union for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Some of the key characteristics that tell us a prospective employee is a great fit for our company and culture is their passion for service and that they desire to develop a career at an organization that truly cares about people and doing the right thing. When an individual shares that they want to make a difference in members lives to help make their goals and dreams come true, it is a true indicator that they believe in our philosophy. In addition, an individual whom possesses characteristics of teamwork, respect and honesty will fit with our values and culture of integrity and traditions of building a positive environment.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees get our attention through communicating the things about the credit union they value from their research and the ways in which they want to become involved. Many candidates will explain how they witnessed MSUFCU employees working at a local event or read a story about how we participated in a fundraising event to raise funds for a local charity and that they want to me a part of it! In addition, some candidates actually opened their first account or recently joined the credit union. They provide us with their positive experience and how they want to be in the position to offer the same experience to others.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
MSU Federal Credit Union primarily focuses on our New Hire Program throughout each year. Each new hire participates in an interactive four week training program with the internal Learning and Development Department. This program is strategically divided into several learning modules for our adult learners to learn and apply the credit union products and services, cross-selling techniques, and gain an understanding of our business model and organizational structure. Candidates in the New Hire Program are direct hires for certain departments in the credit union. At the end of the four week training program they will start in the departments and receive more training for their specific job.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates can do so much research online about who MSUFCU is and about the ways in which we are involved in our local community and MSU. We have a community website where individuals can gather information about our organization and the special people that work here. The website is https://www.msufcu.org/community . In addition, there are several resources to utilize that explain about credit unions, our history and what the differences are between a bank and credit union.
| 100 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 12% Job Growth|
| 153 Average applicants per opening|| 5,063 Applications received|
| 33 Positions filled in past year|| 65% New hires by employee referrals|
| 58 New positions created|| 228 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 92% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 61% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|