What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
People celebrate special events around here.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked Missouri Employers Mutual to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Missouri Employers Mutual is a safety company that provides workers compensation insurance. MEM has earned its place as Missouri's #1 provider of work comp by helping companies eliminate injuries and reduce claims costs to protect people and their bottom lines.
About this Company
| Website: www.mem-ins.com|| Industry: Financial Services & Insurance|
| US Headquarters: Columbia, Missouri|| US Sites: 4|
| Major Locations: Chesterfield, Missouri; Independence, Missouri; Springfield, Missouri|| US Employees: 266|
| US Revenues: $195.90 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $195.90 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1995|
Perks and Programs
We asked Missouri Employers Mutual to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Service Awards: MEM believes employees are our biggest asset, so we celebrate years of service, starting at five years. For 5 years, employees are taken to lunch by their managers and co-workers and receive $100 (net). For 10 years of service, employees receive $500 (net) and a lunch with their manager and co-workers. For 15 years, employees receive a gift card to a restaurant of their choice for $100 and also $750 (net). Employees with 20 years receive $1000 (net) and a gift card from a restaurant of their choice for $150.
- Continued Education: We encourage employees to advance their career through continuing education and providing monetary support, as well. Whether it be online insurance courses or attending class for a bachelors or masters degree, we encourage our employees to continue to learn to improve themselves.
- Training: MEM offers a wide variety of training for all employees. We bring in professional trainers to lead groups in communication, finance, diversity, change management, stress and much more. We encourage employees to seek out conferences and seminars that will enhance their skills. Job shadowing offers employees an opportunity to get familiar with all aspects of the business and operation.
- Health & Wellness Programs: MEM's wellness program is accessible online so employees can set and manage goals related to health and wellness anytime, anywhere. We also offer in-office, regular wellness training opportunities, such as lunch and learn meetings on topics including high blood pressure, diet and exercise, skin cancer detection and proper walking/running techniques; and group exercise sessions, such as boot camp, zumba, etc. Because stress was identified by employees as one of their top health concerns, MEM also offers chair massages to reduce tension and allow employees a break from routine desk work.
- Flexible Schedules/Evnvironments: Managers work closely with employees to meet their personal and professional needs with flexible hours and environments. Some employees work remotely during temporary life changes, while others have a consistent schedule of several days in the office and a couple remote to accommodate family, transportation and other needs. MEM also offers a variety of convenience services such as dry cleaning pick up and delivery, and a variety of negotiated corporate discounts at local businesses.
- Incentive Plan: MEM's annual Incentive Plan rewards employees for their contributions to our strategic plan with a monetary bonus. The plan includes corporate, department and personal measures.
- WorkSAFE Week: During WorkSAFE Week each year, employees celebrate our vision of safe, healthy and injury-free workplaces. The weeks includes team building, games, quizzes, charitable donations and more. On the last day of the week, employees from all offices come together to learn more about workplace safety to better support our policyholders and build camaraderie and teamwork. We also celebrate employee's contributions with drawings, lunch and an early dismissal for the afternoon.
- Employees Activities Committee: Each MEM office has an Employee Activities Committee (EAC) with the freedom and budget to plan events throughout the year that brings employees together for fun and celebration. Activities have included Cinco de Mayo nachos, ice cream socials, trail mix buffets and more. Space inside and outside of MEM's building are dedicated to fun and stress relief. A large lawn hosts frisbee golf, picnic lunches and employee events. Inside, large conference rooms with projector screen movies and special sporting events. A gaming system, ping-pong table and basketball hoop provide exercise, stress relief and rewards.
- Community Involvement: MEM supports employee's involvement in the community in a variety of ways. We coordinate corporate and employee giving; offer opportunities to volunteer during and outside of working hours; and encourage and support involvement in civic and community groups. Partners in Education: MEM partners with a local middle school to enrich students and our employees. Employees are given time off work to volunteer at the school as mentors, help with events and programs, and interact with teachers and administrators. Kids' Chance: MEM has a special connection to Kids' Chance of Missouri, a not-for-profit organization that provides post high school scholarships to children of Missouri workers killed or disabled on the job.
- Safety Fanatic Degree Program: The degree program classes build employee's passion for safety and provide a better understanding of the top risks for accidents so that together, we can help policyholders eliminate injuries and reduce claims costs to protect people and their bottom line.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $45,886 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Senior Customer Service Representative|| $76,202 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Senior Claims Representative|
| 4% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary||70% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| $5,250 College Tuition Reimbursement|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
- Discount ticket sales
- Dry cleaning
- Massage therapy
- Fitness classes
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 21 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 12 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|40 days Job-protected maternity leave||40 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave||5 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|$10,000 Adoption benefit||30 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
|30 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $330,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
How to Get Hired
We asked Missouri Employers Mutual for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Candidates communicate a desire to be part of a winning team. They demonstrate the ability to properly interpret and connect with well thought-out answers to interview questions that reflect their active listening skills, intelligence and professional acuity. They are approachable and easy to interact with. They project a sense of confidence and energy in dealing with challenges and ambiguity. They embrace change and seek opportunities to contribute to finding solutions. They like to win and have high standards for excellence and personal accoutnability. They want to learn.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
In addition to demonstrating the characteristics above, they come prepared in professional attire and attitude. They have done their homework about the company so they can point to where and how they can add value to the MEM mission. They show attentiveness and confidence to all members of the interview team. They ask good insightful questions and provide unscripted answers. They follow up after the interview.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates are able to find more information about open positions and MEM on our website at www.mem-ins.com.
| 25 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 12% Job Growth|
| 75 Average applicants per opening|| 3,000 Applications received|
| 33 Positions filled in past year|| 5 New positions created|
| 6 Jobs filled by current employees|