What Employees Say
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
What They Do
We asked Mission Bell to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Mission Bell is a commercial wood working company that specializes in making beautiful wood cabinets, reception areas and conference rooms for Fortune 500 companies. In business for 57 years, Mission Bell will soon become 100% employee-owned through an ESOP plan.
About this Company
| Website: www.missionbell.com|| Industry: Construction & Real Estate|
| US Headquarters: Morgan Hill, California|| US Sites: 2|
| Major Locations: San Francisco, California|| US Employees: 218|
| US Revenues: $46 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $46 million|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1959|
Perks and Programs
We asked Mission Bell to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- ESOP: Mission Bell’s employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) is a retirement plan that provides its employees with an ownership interest in the company at no cost to employees.
- LEAN - Continuous Improvement: Our LEAN continuous improvement initiative is our most exciting employee engagement program. Employees are encouraged and empowered to implement their time and money-saving ideas on a daily basis. Last year, we held an Academy Awards ceremony - giving awards for Best of categories.
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Each year, and in partnership with one of our suppliers, Mission Bell subsidizes the cost of an all-day pass to employees and their extended families to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Adults pay $15 for a catered bbq, drinks (including wine/beer) and unlimited rides and other amusement attractions.
- Environmental Stewardship: LEED, our Shop runs on solar power, our recycling program, we use green products, etc.
- Thanksgiving Potluck: Every year we have a company-wide Thanksgiving Potluck with near 100% employee participation. The company purchases cooked turkeys and the employees bring side dishes and dessert.
- Win a FitBit - Fitness Challenge: Employee with the most steps taken during a designated one-week period of time will win a Fitbit step tracker. So far, we have held 3 contests.
- Operation Christmas Child: Each holiday season employee donate small luxury items to fit inside a "shoebox" which is delivered to needy children around the world. Employees assemble the toys/luxury items inside the boxes, wrap them and deliver them to a drop-off center.
- Holiday Breakfast: Some years the managers cook a hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes) and serve it to all employees. Recently, we started to host the breakfast at a hotel. All employees receive $100 worth of gift cards and a lucky group of 25 employees are picked via a raffle to win exciting prizes (big screen t.v., drone, iPad, bicycle, etc.) totaling $5,000.
- Health Fair: Our annual Health Fair provides free health screenings: blood pressure, lung test, vision test along with service providers like local dentists, doctors and other wellness related services. Healthy food (salad, fruits, nuts) is provided and raffle prizes are awarded.
- Salsa Contest: We hold an annual salsa contest with 3 prizes: 1st prize: $100, 2nd prize $50 and 3rd prize: $25
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 3% of an employee's salary||90% Company-paid health coverage for employees (Non-Union employees)|
| 90% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (Non-Union employees)|| 90% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $5,250 College Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock ownership plan
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 22 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 10 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 3 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|| 3 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (18% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (6% use it)
- Telecommute option (2% use it)
- Phased retirement planning (1% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|95 days Job-protected maternity leave||65 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|95 days Job-protected paternity leave||15 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 4 hours Paid time off to volunteer|
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Mission Bell for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We look for candidates that have the ability to learn quickly, who are innovative and who value relationships.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Send in a video of themselves.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Yes, people with constructability knowledege (how wood and materials fit together) and computer savvy. Mostly Project Managers, Design Engineers and Estimators.
| 10% Job Growth|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|
| 3% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|