What Employees Say
This is a physically safe place to work.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
What They Do
We asked Michelin North America to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Dedicated to sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The company also publishes travel, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases.
About this Company
| Website: www.michelin.com|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: Greenville, South Carolina, 29615|| US Sites: 37|
| Major Locations: Louisville, Kentucky, 40216; Dothan (US4), Alabama, 36301; Tuscaloosa (BFG3), Alabama, 35401; Woodburn, Indiana, 46774; Ardmore (US9), Oklahoma, 73401; Norwood (US11), North Carolina, 28128; Greenville (Greenville Engineering), South Carolina, 29605; Greenville (Manufacturing), South Carolina, 29605; Greenville (US6), South Carolina, 29605|| US Employees: 16,152|
| US Revenues: $9,407.3 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $25,637.4 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 114,070|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: ML|| Founded: 1889|
Perks and Programs
We asked Michelin North America to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Tire Service Award Program: Michelin is known for making great tires, and we help our employees be our brand ambassadors through our Tire Service Award program. At each five-year service anniversary, the employee receives a deposit of money to use to buy Michelin, BFGoodrich or Uniroyal brand tires. This program may be used by the employee, spouse, domestic partner or dependent children (up to age 26).
- Choose Well-Live Well: Faced with growing health care costs, over eight years ago we created a dynamic health care initiative called Choose Well-Live Well. This program has many facets that encourage employees to eat healthy, exercise more and improve their overall health and well-being. As part of this program, our employees and their domestic partners or spouses can earn incentives upon meeting biometric screening goals. Employees have told us this focus on health has made a positive difference in their lives as they "eat better, move more." Progress has been made - from 2014 to 2017, there was nearly a 5 percent reduction of health care plan participants who had metabolic syndrome.
- Michelin Technical Scholars: More than 20 years ago, a small team of Michelin employees began partnering with technical colleges in South Carolina to create a program that would provide a better pipeline of technical talent looking for a career in manufacturing. The Michelin Technical Scholars program began growing and has expanded to all of Michelin's U.S. manufacturing sites. Students are enrolled in classes and, at the same time, work part-time at a Michelin facility. Upon completion of eligibility requirements, students become full-time reliability technicians at Michelin. This program has been very successful at converting scholars to full-time employees.
- Corporate Jet Shuttle Program: We operate a corporate jet shuttle program with a reservation systems open to our employees. Employees can reserve flights scheduled to and from facilities in the U.S., Mexico and Canada. This program is based at the airport in Greenville, S.C. We book 5,200 employee seats per year and operate about 700 flights annually. This service is especially appreciated by employees who serve our industrial teams and need to frequently visit our manufacturing sites.
- Returning Retiree Program: After our employees retire, they can express interest in coming back to Michelin to work. We match up returning retirees with projects and/or business needs. Each year, we have over 200 hourly and salaried returning retirees in this program. This is a win-win for us considering the knowledge and experience our returning retirees bring when they are at work at Michelin.
- Tire Rebate Program: Our employees have eight tires per year that can be purchased by themselves or eligible immediately family members -- and, upon confirming eligibility, the purchaser receives a 30 percent reimbursement. Our employees are appreciative of having a program that encourages their immediate family members to buy Michelin. As well, our retirees have an allotment of four tires per year that they can purchase in this program for a 30 percent reimbursement.
- Parental Leave: We grant a paid leave of absence to parents in order to provide bonding time following the birth of a child or placement of a child through adoption. Parental leaves are granted for up to two weeks and are completed within the first three months following the birth or placement of a child.
- Business Resource Groups: At Michelin, our vision is to have an inclusive culture in which we leverage all the talent all the time to achieve our company's objectives and create a competitive advantage. In order to help employees bring their whole selves to work, we offer a number of business resource groups (BRGs) in which they can participate, including LGBT & Allies, Michelin Hispanic Network, Road to Retirement (encourages financial readiness), Asian-Pacific, Veterans, Upstate Women's Network and the African American Network.
- Michelin Family Health Centers: The Michelin Family Health Centers provide convenient, affordable access to a full suite of quality health care services for our employees, dependents and retirees. Michelin's centers and its award-winning health care programs are based on the belief that over the long-term, it is in the best interest of both employees and the company for employees to focus on their health and well-being. We have six health centers - one in Ardmore, Ok., one in Lexington, S.C., two in Greenville, S.C., one in Spartanburg, S.C. and our newest one in Anderson, S.C.
- Yellowstone National Park Foundation: Michelin has been a corporate partner to the Yellowstone Park Foundation since 2008, helping the park reduce carbon emissions. As a corporate partner to YPF, we have donated more than 1,400 tires that help equip Yellowstone National Park’s fleet of 800-plus vehicles – vehicles that include everything from patrol cars and garbage trucks to giant earthmoving vehicles, rotary snow plows and large load-hauling tractor trailers. Yellowstone and Michelin have partnered to develop events that benefit the park and utilize Michelin employees to help with the park's sustainability efforts. Most recently in 2017, 10 of our Michelin North American employees traveled to the park and rebuilt damaged walkways around the Old Faithful geyser using innovative eco-friendly paving material that is manufactured in part from recycled tires. We include some of our employees in the transformation efforts at Yellowstone each Fall
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $55,547 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Production Operator - Confection/Finishing Manual Installation|| $70,866 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Shop Quality Obtention|
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 4% of salary||86% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Union-free Active Employees)|
| 87% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Union-free Active Employees)|| 97% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| At least 30 hours per week hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $12,700 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 20 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 13 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| Unlimited Sick Paid time off|| 20 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
| 10 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (5% use it)
- Telecommute option (5% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (50% use it)
- Subsidized On- or Off-site Fitness (100% have access)
- Medical facilities (at some locations)
- Onsite Amenities (Cafeterias, fitness centers, Health Engagement Coordinators, Benefits Advocates and Condition Management Nurses, on-site dry cleaning pickup & delivery, employee access/onsite delivery of rental cars, employee discounts for local restaurants & businesses, on-site tire pressure & air, electric car charging stations, expectant mothers parking, mothers rooms, on-site security, entertainment (foosball, ping pong table, TV's etc), on-site recreation (baseball field, basketball courts,etc), on-site vegetable gardens, employee access to WiFi, Integrated Musculoskeletal Care)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||60 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*|
|59 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||10 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*||10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$7,500 Adoption benefit||10 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*|
|10 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $3,852,406 Philanthropic donations in last year|| $893,752 Total company-matched employee donations in last year|
| Director of Environmental Affairs Leads environmental impact team|| Third-Party Conducted Environmental impact audit|
| 1 LEED certified building(s)|| Yes Sustainable commuting program|
| Yes Renewable energy program|| Yes Carbon offset program|
| Yes Recycling program|| Yes Locally-sourced food program|
- Director of Diversity and Inclusion oversees diversity and inclusion practices
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Under-represented racial/ethnic minority groups; Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees; Disabled employees; Employees reentering the workforce
- 50 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked Michelin North America for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
What we are looking for in a prospective employee is: 1) a passion for delighting customers regardless of the role they might have within an organization, 2) unquestionable integrity and respect for the safety and well-being of everyone, 3) teamwork, collaboration and personal humility to advance the progress and business results of the company, and 4) forward-looking, especially open to innovation and digitalitization.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective employees can demonstrate interest by learning about the company and discovering the ways Michelin can engage their passion; seek out leadership opportunities and become involved in their current role or community; network through other employees, and follow Michelin on our social channels. We are looking for more than technical skills - we want to see how they can connect their Purpose to Michelin's Purpose (We Care About Giving People a Better Way Forward). When we interview job candidates, we enjoy listening to those who get excited when they talk about their own passion and purpose in such a way that it relates to what we do at Michelin.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
For salaried employees, our most frequent hiring opportunities are in the areas of Production Managers, Industrial Engineering, Design and Research Engineers, Quality, and Sales. We also have internship/co-op programs for college students that has expanded to include fun, on-site events and community relations opportunities. For hourly employees, we have frequent hiring opportunities for production operators and maintenance technicians.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates should visit our website or social media channels to gain an understanding of who we are as an employer. Information about our company, heritage and values can be found on www.jobs.michelinman.com. We encourage those interested in a career opportunity with us to create a profile and upload a resume. Career opportunities change frequently so job candidates should check the site regularly to see if there is a position that matches their skills.
| 450 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| -1% Job Growth|
| 39 Average applicants per opening|| 13,715 Total job applicants|
| 5% New hires by employee referrals|| 39% Openings filled by current employees|
| 21 Recent graduates hired|| 4% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 6% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|