What Employees Say
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People care about each other here.
I can be myself around here.
What They Do
We asked Michael Baker International to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Michael Baker International, a global leader in engineering, planning and consulting, has been solving the world's most complex infrastructure challenges for almost 80 years with diverse expertise, experience, innovation and integrity aimed at making communities safer, more accessible and sustainable.
About this Company
| Website: www.mbakerintl.com|| Industry: Professional Services|
| US Headquarters: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15219|| Major Locations: Moon, Pennsylvania, 15108; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 17110; Alexandria, Virginia, 22304; Hamilton, New Jersey, 08619; Santa Ana, California, 92707; San Diego, California, 92124; Phoenix, Arizona, 85012; Columbia, South Carolina, 29201; Anchorage, Alaska, 99503; Rancho Cordova, California, 95670|
| US Employees: 3,120|| US Revenues: $1,385 million|
| Worldwide Revenues: $1,385 million|| Employees Worldwide: 3,169|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1940|
Perks and Programs
We asked Michael Baker International to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Wellness: Michael Baker has designed and implemented a robust program to promote wellness and advocate a healthy lifestyle throughout the organization to maximize work performance and minimize health risks and issues.
- Strategic Imperatives: Michael Baker has rolled out its “Strategic Imperatives” program, which focuses all employees on company core values of Client Management, the Employee Experience and Operational Excellence. Communications and brochures published to all employees reinforces these values and sets up the company for a bright future.
- Bridges to Prosperity: Michael Baker International partners with the nonprofit Bridges to Prosperity, making a three-year commitment to help fund and participate in the building of bridges connecting remote communities to health care, education and commerce. As part of that commitment, the company this past July sent a team of 10 engineers, planners and others to Pabellon, Bolivia, for two weeks to construct a 115-foot suspension bridge that would serve the community’s 200-plus residents when completed. In the previous year, Michael Baker sent a dozen team members to El Zarzal to build a suspension footbridge over the Rio Calico to enable 139 families to cross the river safely without interruption due to flooding. The company funded the projects, as well as the cost of travel for both teams.
- MBImpact: This program allows employees to keep track of their own environmental stewardship, including energy use, commuting, water use, recycling, community service, etc.
- Professional Excellence Training and Recognition: Michael Baker provides extensive training courses in-house to grow and maintain project management excellence. Given our Engineering focus, the company will also provide time and training to prepare for Professional Engineering exams. The company provides financial recognition of up to $1,500 upon successful career development training completions.
- Michael Baker Credit Union: Michael Baker International employees are eligible to save on their personal banking needs through Michael Baker Credit Union. The Credit Union offers products and services that include reduced loan rates, debit and credit cards, online and mobile banking, bill pay service, and automatic payroll deductions.
- Local office events: Each office of our company has its own unique flavor and they are empowered to organize team building, employee recognition and celebration events. These events can include office picnics, golf outings, "lunch and learn", "office Olympics", etc.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $51,378 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Inspector I|| $124,411 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Project Manager II|
| 5% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||70% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for Majority of population has elected a PPO 80/60 plan)|
| 67% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for Majority of population has elected a PPO 80/60 plan)|| 70% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $5,896 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
| $12,000 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 23 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 23 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 15 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|| 23 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
| 23 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||30 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)|
|10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| Yes Sustainable commuting program|| Yes Recycling program|
- Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
How to Get Hired
We asked Michael Baker International for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
At Michael Baker, we look for individuals who exemplify our commitment in serving our customers by solving their most complex problems through partnership, collaboration and teamwork. We look for team members who demonstrate a high level of follow through, attention to detail and accountability with a highest level of quality. Successful employees are driven and passionate to solve the complex problems that our customers face in building a better community in which we live. Finally, we seek team members who are excellent communicators to develop positive interactions with our customers, co-workers and communities in creating a positive impact on the world around them. In short, we look for individuals who make a difference!
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Interested candidates have the ability to apply directly online for positions that are posted. They can also interact with us through social media as well as professional organizations in which we participate and support.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
In 2018, Michael Baker will hire hundreds of positions with disciplines in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, Architects and Construction Inspectors. We also look for functional positions in IT, Finance and Human Resources as the need arises.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested candidates can visit www.mbakerintl.com and visit our careers page. They can also connect with us through LinkedIn or follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. If you’re ready to make a difference, apply directly at http://www.mbakerintl.com/Carees/Job-Opportunities
| 700 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 8% Job Growth|
| 23 Average applicants per opening|| 30,919 Total job applicants|
| 12% New hires by employee referrals|| 3% Openings filled by current employees|
| 199 Recent graduates hired|| 14% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 17% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|