What You Should Know
In 2016 alone, Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare contributed nearly $200 million dollars worth of charity care, medical education and health improvement services to its Tennessee-, Arkansas- and Mississippi-based community. That’s in addition to caring for tens of thousands of patients and employing more than 13,000 people.
So it’s no surprise that 92 percent of its faith-based non-profit healthcare system employees report that one of the key benefits of working for Methodist is the enormous pride people feel in their impact on the community.
“I love how this company does so much for each community that the hospital is near,” says one employee. “Methodist does so many other things without looking for publicity which proves this company truly cares about PEOPLE!”
Methodist extends this care to its own people, by supporting its staff as respected professionals. More than four out of five employees report that Methodist employs honest and ethical leaders, who run good facilities, deliver the resources and equipment they need, and trust their teams to deliver good work without micromanaging them. Employees say their peers provide support as well: the vast majority (86 percent) feel their colleagues are consistently caring, and nearly as many feel comfortable truly being themselves at work.
Nine out of ten employees feel that working at Methodist has special meaning and is more than “just a job” – but that doesn’t mean they don’t need some time off to recharge. Luckily, just as many say that they are able to take time off when they need it. Back in the workplace, 91 percent say the organization regularly takes the time to celebrate special moments together. Every year, the company hosts a Healthcare Week, passing out gifts to all employees and staging picnics at many of its locations. There’s also a Nurses Week to pay special tribute to Methodist’s 3,500 nurses, and annual time for team bouts of kickball, dodgeball and other games keep the atmosphere friendly and fun.
Says one employee: “They understand that happy employees equate to great patient care.”
What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People celebrate special events around here.
My work has special meaning: this is not "just a job".
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
What They Do
We asked Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a not-for-profit, faith-based integrated Healthcare system based in Memphis, TN. We are a $1.9 billion organization and have five adult hospitals, a children’s hospital, a home health agency, a residential hospice, surgery centers, outpatient diagnostics, clinics and physician practices.
About this Company
| Website: www.methodisthealth.org|| Industry: Health Care|
| US Headquarters: Memphis, Tennessee, 38104|| US Sites: 130|
| Major Locations: Memphis, Tennessee, 38104; Germantown, Tennessee, 38138; Olive Branch, Mississippi, 38654|| US Employees: 11,402|
| US Revenues: $1,934 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $1,934 million|
| Corporate Structure: Non-Profit|| Founded: 1918|
Perks and Programs
We asked Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- The myHealthy Life Program: This program is Methodist Le Bonheur's on-going commitment to offer our Associates an environment that supports healthy lifestyles. Methodist Le Bonheur encourages Associates to lead happier, healthier personal and work lives. Many mind, body and spirit options are available throughout the healthcare system including mindfulness classes, fitness classes, an Employee Assistance Program, a diabetes management program, several different weight loss programs to fit the individual and much more.
- Tuition Assistance: Methodist Le Bonheur offers a unique benefit to make it easier for Associates to further their education. Associates do not have to wait to receive the tuition reimbursement; they apply in advance. The Associate is paid after registering for the course. The goal is to encourage more Associates to continue their education by lowering out-of-pocket expenses.
- Drive To Be Our Best: Drive To Be Our Best Associate Incentive Plan puts Associates in the driver’s seat to earn a bonus based on consistently delivering an outstanding patient experience. We know every single Associate has a part to play in ensuring our organization delivers excellent patient and family centered care, whether they are in a direct patient care role or not.
- Mindfulness Classes: One of the many available classes is an eight-week Mindfulness course that helps develop skills and tools for managing stress, increasing positive emotions and creating success in life. Associates learn new tools to help them live more fully with greater ease, joy, depth, resilience, and balance. Associates consciously and systematically work with the demands of everyday life to reduce stress and increase happiness. Our mindfulness classes teach Associates, patients and families how to stay focused on the present moment. By learning to appreciate the present, rather than constantly focusing on the past, the future, or frustrating fantasies of how things "should" be, participants begin to experience a greater sense of peace with their current circumstances, even when those circumstances are less than optimal.
- Healthcare Week: Healthcare Week is very special around MLH. All 13,000 Associates are honored with a picnic and given a token of our appreciation. Gifts have included car sunshades, soft side coolers, lunch bags, picnic blankets and tumblers.
- Nurses Week and National Recognition Days/Weeks: Nurses Week is always observed in May, and we like to make a big splash to thank the nurses who work tirelessly for our patients and families. Our hospital facilities also celebrate more than 40 appreciation days/weeks throughout the year such as EVS Week, Lab Week, Radiological Technologist Week and Registered Dietitian Day. Many of these celebrations include barbecues, festivals or gift giveaways for our Associates.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||75% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 75% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 75% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 16 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $2,250 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
| $4,500 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|| $250,000 Student loan debt repayment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 23 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Set days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 23 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Onsite Amenities (Discounted healthy food in the cafeteria, fitness classes, mindfulness classes, health coaching, gratitude classes)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|80 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||57 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|80 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)||22 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$5,000 Adoption benefit||80 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| $4,034,216 Philanthropic donations in last year|| Yes Renewable energy program|
| Yes Recycling program|
- Director of Organizational Effectiveness is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender confirmation surgery
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"We celebrate individual accomplishments and birthdays during our monthly company meetings. We are strongly urged to balance home and work. If someone has gone above and beyond their assigned duties to assist a fellow associate or patient it is recognized."
"The environment is wonderful. I work for a very nice management team who all make me feel as if they trust us as a whole to get the job done. There is no micromanaging, no disrespect, they are very positive and friendly. The company as a whole do things here and there to let us, the employees know we are truly appreciated. I love working for Methodist and hope to retire from here."
"I am lucky enough to work in the emergency department where we have a wonderful staff management that take the time to learn and care about each other. We celebrate little victories and encourage friendships that will last outside of the workplace. One thing I thoroughly appreciate from Methodist is the school loan assistance program. I know not every hospital offers that to its employees and it's such a great help to those of us in our first jobs with student loans from getting our degrees. "
"MLH cares for the well being of all of their patients and employees. Their first priority is every patient that walks through their doors. "
"I appreciate the recognition that the company does for its employees. Specifically, the healthcare appreciation week. It was nice to be recognized for the contributions made to the overall success of the company and to be given gifts of appreciation during the week."
"Those who train here are impeccable. When they discovered I was not doing my best at one job, they moved me to another. The new job fit me perfectly. I was so glad to be able to stay with the company!"
"This company does actually have a family environment and shows the genuine compassion we have for one and other as if were true family members. "
"I am a new hire, and I feel as if my manager did an excellent job with my onboarding. My first day with her she sat me down and we discussed how I would like that grow within the company. I have never had a manager show as much interest in my future as she has these past four months."
"We put the patient first in all we do. We are here for the community. Our leaders have great vision. We make corporate decisions with the greater good in mind."
"The unique thing about this company that makes it a great place to work is the company is well respected in the community(ies) which they serve.
How to Get Hired
We asked Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We aim to consistently hire Associates with values that are in sync with our organizational values of service, quality, integrity, teamwork and innovation. We pride ourselves on hiring the best—those who are admired and who inspire those around them. From technical procedures such as drawing blood, to basic interactions like greeting patients, our hospital looks to set the standard for high-quality, compassionate patient- and family-centered care. This commitment not only helps you reach personal and professional goals, but it also helps us deliver better service to patients, as well as to co-workers.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective Associates for Methodist Le Bonheur can show a willingness to Make a Connection, Listen to Understand Needs and Honor Their Commitments. These three things make up our MLH Service Model and we expect our Associates to "MLH" not only our patients and families, but also each other.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
At Methodist Le Bonheur, we are constantly looking for great Associates in all areas of our oganization. Our four largest areas of needs currently are in the Information Technologies, Nursing, Lab and Rehabilitation fields.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
For more information about Methodist Le Bonheur, go to www.methodisthealth.org or lebonheur.org and visit the About Us section. This gives potential Associates some background information about who we are and what we're all about. They can then go to the Careers section where all of our job openings are posted.
| 2,600 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 2% Job Growth|
| 3 Average applicants per opening|| 10,001 Total job applicants|
| 2% New hires by employee referrals|| 36% Openings filled by current employees|
| 435 Recent graduates hired|| 8% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|
| 11% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|