What Employees Say
Management trusts people to do a good job without watching over their shoulders.
People celebrate special events around here.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
Management is approachable, easy to talk with.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked McClure Engineering Co. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
McClure Engineering Co. is a privately owned engineering firm dedicated to building strong communities with disciplines in transportation, water, wastewater, drainage, land development, rail, strucutural, survey, site inspection, and creative placemeaking.
About this Company
| Website: www.mecresults.com|| Industry: Engineering|
| US Headquarters: Clive, Iowa, 50325|| US Sites: 10|
| Major Locations: North Liberty, Iowa; Columbia, Missouri; Fort Dodge, Iowa; Sioux City, Iowa; St. Louis, Missouri; Red Oak, Iowa|| US Employees: 128|
| US Revenues: $14 million|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1956|
Perks and Programs
We asked McClure Engineering Co. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- MEC University: MEC University is an in-house training program that focuses on sharpening the skills of leaders within the company and developing future leaders of the organization. Topics included in this program are leadership development, project management, business development, accounting, public finance, etc.
- MEC Apparel Reimbursement: McClure Engineering Co. has partnered with a local design company to produce our own line of MEC clothing & accessories that all employees can enjoy. New Employees get a free shirt, hat, and coffee mug on their start date and all employees get $125 of gear covered by the company each year.
- Employee Referral Prize Wheel: If a current employee refers a prospective employee whom is hired, the employee gets to spin the MEC Prize Wheel once that employee reaches 90 days with the firm. Prizes on the wheel include an iPad, Smart-Watch, Laptop, gym membership, bicycle, TV, cash, or even an all expenses paid vacation!
- Fitness Reimbursement: To promote healthy lifestyles, MEC gives employees $250/yr to reimburse any fitness expenses (yoga, exercise class, crossfit, purchase of home equipment, etc.).
- Wellness Events: This year we completed an MEC Health Fair Event which included: biometric screenings, in house massages, healthy snacks, a workout class, and nutritional shakes. In the fall we have in-house flu immunizations provided as well.
- Free Snacks and Drinks: Each office receives free snacks and drinks year around!
- Tuition Reimbursement: $5,250.00 per year is given for team members interested in continuing education.
- Recreational Sports Teams: Over the past year, McClure Engineering Co. associates have formed recreational basketball, softball, and sand volleyball teams to compete in local leagues. The firm has been nice enough to cover entry fees and provide t-shirts and jerseys for teams to use.
- MEC Kids Holiday Event/Annual Thanksgiving Meal: This past December, MEC invited the children of MEC employees to join us in office. Santa was hired to stop by and pass out gifts to all those in attendance. Each child was given a wrapped book and some holiday treats. In addition, each year, all MEC offices have an annual Thanksgiving meal with family!
- (VTO) Volunteer Time Off-Volunteer Programs - Each Office Focuses on Community Service Projects: Examples: This year, to give back to the community in support of our vision of building strong communities, team members worked to designate a day with family and friends to complete camp clean up! Easter Seals serves our community by providing children and adults with and without disabilities a full resident and day camp in Iowa. We also participated in the City of Urbandale, Iowa Nike Re-Use a Shoe program and donated over 100 pairs of shoes to those in need.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 3% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 6% of salary||78% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 78% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| $5,250 Average Tuition Reimbursement|
| $5,250 Maximum Tuition Reimbursement|
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 22 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 13 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 8 Days Paid time off as of first day of full-time employment|| 8 days Paid time off as of first day of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (100% use it)
- Onsite Amenities (Bio-metric Screenings, Fitness Reimbursement, Free Healthy Snacks and Drinks, Yearly Health Fair Event (Fitness Class, Protein Shakes, Fitness Information with Guest Speakers, Massages), Christmas Club Savings Program, 529 Savings Accounts.)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|40 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD) ||35 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer|| $20,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Human Resources Business Partner is responsible for the success of formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Formal programs (such as resource groups, mentorship, networking, or other affinity groups) support professional development for: Under-represented racial/ethnic minority groups; Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees; Disabled employees; Speakers of English as a second language; Employees reentering the workforce
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked McClure Engineering Co. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Team members that possess each of our core values and like to have fun day in and day out! Team members that enjoy an open team atompshpere and enjoy growing themselves through different initiatives inside and outside of the organization!
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
To start, we look for team players! Someone that will thrive in our environment is someone that has great communication, is client driven, technically sound, and supports our communities! We have many different fields that require technical excellence as well as a passion for being client driven. There is room for multiple types of team players on the MEC bus!
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
Project Managers, Sr Technical Experts
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Email: Kgaskill@mecresults.com and check out our website at www.mecresults.com
| 15 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year|| 2% Job Growth|
| 25 Average applicants per opening|| 100 Total job applicants|
| 40% New hires by employee referrals|| 3% Openings filled by current employees|
| 5 Recent graduates hired|| 11% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|