What Employees Say
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
I can be myself around here.
People care about each other here.
When people change jobs or work units, they are made to feel right at home.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked McClure Engineering Co. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
McClure Engineering Co. is a privately owned engineering firm dedicated to building strong communities with disciplines in transportation, water, wastewater, drainage, land development, rail, strucutural, survey, and site inspection.
About this Company
| Website: www.mecresults.com|| Industry: Engineering|
| US Headquarters: Clive, Iowa|| US Sites: 10|
| Major Locations: North Liberty, Iowa; Columbia, Missouri; Fort Dodge, Iowa; Sioux City, Iowa; St. Louis, Missouri; Red Oak, Iowa|| US Employees: 125|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1956|
Perks and Programs
We asked McClure Engineering Co. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- MEC University: MEC University is an in-house training program that focuses on sharpening the skills of leaders within the company and developing future leaders of the organization. There is an MEC University course approximately 2-3 times each quarter and topics include leadership development, project management, business development, accounting, public finance, etc.
- MEC Apparel Reimbursement: McClure Engineering Co. has partnered with a local design company to produce our own line of MEC clothing & accessories that all employees can enjoy. New Employees get a free t-shirt, hat, and coffee mug on their start date and all employees get $125 of gear covered by the company each year.
- Employee Referral Prize Wheel: If a current employee refers a prospective employee whom is hired, the employee gets to spin the MEC Prize Wheel once that employee reaches 90 days with the firm. Prizes on the wheel include an iPad, Smart-Watch, Laptop, gym membership, bicycle, TV, cash, or even an all expenses paid vacation!
- Fitness Reimbursement: To promote healthy lifestyles, MEC gives employees $250/yr to reimburse any fitness expenses (yoga, exercise class, Crossfit, etc.).
- Annual Thanksgiving Meal: Each year, during our annual thanksgiving meal at each office, our CEO Terry Lutz dresses up in a turkey costume to wish all of associates and their families a Happy Thanksgiving.
- Pumpkin Carving Contest: Each office competes in a pumpkin carving contest. This year, our Fort Dodge office won after carving the faces of our CEO Terry Lutz and longest tenured employee Mike Trotter (50 years) into pumpkins.
- Volunteer - Shoe Drive: As part of our community outreach program to help build strong communities, we participated in the City of Urbandale, Iowa Nike Re-Use a Shoe program and donated over 100 pairs of shoes to those in need.
- Recreational Sports Teams: Over the past year, McClure Engineering Co. associates have formed recreational basketball, softball, and sand volleyball teams to compete in local leagues. The firm has been nice enough to cover entry fees and provide t-shirts and jerseys for teams to use.
- MEC Kids Holiday Event: This past December, MEC invited the children of MEC employes to join us in office. Santa was hired to stop by and pass out gifts to all those in attendance. Each child was given a wrapped book and some holiday treats.
- 6,000 Cans in 60 Days: To give back to the community in support of our vision of building strong communities, team members are challenged to collect 6,000 cans of food and compete office versus office to build the most innovative structures out of the collected non-perishables. Each office will then donate the cans to a local food pantry.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
|70% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 70% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| $5,250 College Tuition Reimbursement|
- 401(k) plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 21 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 14 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (100% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|49 days Job-protected maternity leave||7 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|3 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||49 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Flu shots
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Complete biometric screening
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| $20,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- 'Human Resources Business Partner' is accountable to formal recruiting and retention diversity goals
- Formal programs support professional development for: Under-represented racial/ethnic minority groups; Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees; Disabled employees; Speakers of English as a second language; Employees reentering the workforce
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked McClure Engineering Co. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We know a prospective employee will be a great fit at McClure if they believe in and act on our core values of Integrity, Professionalism, Constant Attention to Detail, Innovation, Fun and Fulfilling, Hard Work, and Continuous Self-Improvement. We are a team-based work environment, so prospective employees who show an ability to thrive in a team setting will also do well here.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Beyond having a strong technical background, we look for prospective employees who show passion for the work they do and share our common vision of building strong communities. Because we emphasize our mission of building relationships to help our clients be successful in the eyes of their constituents, any prospective employee who has shown they will go above and beyond to make clients happy will certainly grab our attention.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always looking for more talented engineering associates. Currently our emphasis is on finding more engineers with 5-10 years of experience already under their belt.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
If you're interested in working for McClure Engineering Co. the best way to get started is to go to our website www.mecresults.com and to follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn. From there, you can reach out to our HR team, either Kristi Gaskill email@example.com or Adam Brenner firstname.lastname@example.org about potential jobs.
| 20 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 74% Job Growth|
| 33 Positions filled in past year|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|
| 5 New graduates hired|| 6% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|