What Employees Say
This is a physically safe place to work.
People here are given a lot of responsibility.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
What They Do
We asked Mars, Incorporated to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Mars, Incorporated is a private, family-owned business with a century of history and some of the best-loved brands. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, we have more than $35 billion in sales from six businesses: Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks, and Symbioscience.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.mars.com|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: McLean, Virginia|| US Sites: 73|
| Major Locations: Chicago (and vicinity), Illinois; Hackettstown (and vicinity), New Jersey; Nashville (and vicinity), Tennessee; Rancho Dominguez, California; St. Louis (and vicinity), Missouri|| US Employees: 13,193|
| Corporate Structure: Private|| Founded: 1911|
Perks and Programs
We asked Mars, Incorporated to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Mars Volunteer Program (MVP: The Mars Volunteer Program is a worldwide initiative that allows Mars’ greatest assets—our Associates—to make a difference in the communities where the company’s operate and source our products. All Associates are encouraged to participate and can receive up to 16 hours of paid time off to work on company-sponsored volunteer activities. Sites can choose activities that fit their segment or business unit strategies.
- Mars Ambassador Program (MAP): The Mars Ambassador Program helps qualified Associates develop their skills while building great partnerships around the world. It offers them a chance to use their leadership and professional skills to support organizations and communities across our value chain. Associates can participate in individual or group assignments that support important areas of our business:
OPERATING COMMUNITIES Mars wants to help create thriving communities by promoting healthy, active lifestyles for people and pets, along with sustainable use of our natural resources and support for disaster response and resiliency.
ORIGIN COMMUNITIES Mars believes in creating equality across our value chain. They make this possible by focusing their efforts on promoting human rights, empowerment and alleviating poverty.
- Make The Difference Awards: The Make the Difference Program spotlights individual Associates and teams who are bringing The Five Principles of Mars to life and creating growth opportunities possible for fellow Associates, consumers, customers, partners in our value chain and the planet.
Through Make the Difference, Associates celebrate the impact the work by an individual or a team can make on entire organization, and Mars communities.
This inspiring program reinforces our long-standing belief in the power of win-win relationships to support growing responsibly and sustainably over time.
- Open Offices: The open office is a core part of Mars' ways of working. It creates an environment that encourages networking, openness, and communication that spans physical and organizational barriers. This type of collaborative environment encourages all Associates to engage with one another, regardless of their level or title.
- Pets @ Work: For some Mars sites around the world, pets at the office are as commonplace as the Associates who work there. Many Mars offices are helping create a “better world for pets” by making their sites pet-friendly environments. This practice aligns well with the company’s focus on research into the positive effects that companion animals bring to individuals and to society in general.
- Health & Wellness: Mars is a family owned business, so we know, firsthand, the importance of family. We believe that all Associates have the right to work-life balance as well as a healthy and safe environment that provides them with great care and protection. We are fully committed to the health and wellbeing of our Associates and have developed a structure with practices, policies and training to support our ambition, which includes benefits from Day one of employment, stress management, weight management, and other wellness programs.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary||87% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 83% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 44% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 20 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $5,250 College Tuition Reimbursement|
- Health insurance for retirees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
- Massage therapy
- Fitness classes
- Dry cleaning
- Personal travel service
- Free beverages during the day
- On-site package/mailing service
- Discount ticket sales
- Weight watchers meetings
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 26 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 5 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 5 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (50% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (35% use it)
- Telecommute option (35% use it)
- Phased retirement planning
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||65 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|65 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||30 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|30 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||$5,000 Adoption benefit|
|30 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents||30 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Blood pressure screening
- Medical facilities (at some locations)
- Fitness center (at some locations)
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| 16 hours Paid time off to volunteer|
- 'Global Diversity & Inclusion Director' is accountable to formal diversity goals for employee recruitment and retention
- Formal programs support professional development for: Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees; Speakers of English as a second language
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Mars, Incorporated for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Candidates who believe in team collaboration, who are open to new ideas, and who fit a combination of: Values & Cultural Fit, Mars Leadership & Functional Capabilities.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
We seek candidates who succeed in first-time situations, thrive in freedom with new opportunities, maintain open and honest communications, and who are accountable and focused.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We have opportunities at all levels and functions: Corporate Affairs, Finance, Engineering, IT, Marketing, HR, Manufacturing, R&D, Sales, and Supply Chain. In addition, we have a Graduate Leadership Development Program for high-potential candidates interested in growing leadership breadth and experiences.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit any of our social media pages, and http://www.mars.com/global/careers. You can search for opportunities and get connected to the Mars network.
| 5% Job Growth|| 37 Average applicants per opening|
| 93,187 Applications received|| 1,570 Positions filled in past year|
| 20% New hires by employee referrals|| 679 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 74 New graduates hired|
| 8% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 64% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|