Mars Inc. brings some of the sweetest treats to the candy biz, but they're also committed to the health and wellness of their employees, with generous heathcare coverage and on-site fitness centers.



This review is based on 1263 employee surveys, with a 95% confidence level and a margin of error of ± 2.60. It was published on Jan 19, 2015. 14451 Visitors

What You Should Know

Mars Incorporated Associates work hard as a team to bring some of the sweetest treats to the candy marketplace, but they're rewarded with healthy perks like generous heath care coverage, onsite fitness centers or gym membership discounts, nearby walking trails and massage therapy. Mars also sweetens the pot by offering Associates a pension — a rarity these days — and a 401K match of 100 percent. Pride runs high in this friendly, caring and casual company that highlights charitable giving and downplays hierarchy through open desk areas that make senior leaders accessible. One Associate sums it up, saying: “Mars is a place that truly cares about the Associate. I enjoy the openness of the company and the fact that all associates are treated fairly and the same.”


Mars is a diverse private, family-owned global business encompassing Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks and Symbioscience, with global brands that include PEDIGREE, WHISKAS, ROYAL CANIN, M&M’S, SNICKERS, MARS, EXTRA, ORBIT, UNCLE BEN’S, FLAVIA, COCOAVIA and many more.

Website: Global Headquarters: McLean, Virginia
US Sites: 60 Major Locations: Chicago, Illinois (and vicinity); Franklin, Tennessee (and vicinity); Hackettstown, New Jersey (and vicinity); St. Louis, Missouri (and vicinity); Columbus, Ohio (and vicinity)
US Employees: 25000 US revenues: $10000 million
Worldwide revenues: $33000 million Employees worldwide: 75000
Founded: 1911 Industry: Manufacturing & Production

Great Challenges

How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?

Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At Mars, Incorporated, 82 percent of Associates report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 13 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of Associates in the Great Challenges category.

Mars Associates produce and manufacture food products. The company has approximately 25,000 Associates in the United States, where they operate over 60 locations.

The overwhelming majority of Associates (90 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (85 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the same number of Associates (85 percent), their work at Mars is more than just a job: The chance to help produce food for families and their pets around the world provides special meaning.

At Mars, 87 percent of Associates feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers.

Supporting Employee Development

  • Average annual training for part-time hourly Associates: 8 hours
  • Average annual training for full-time salaried Associates: 40 hours
  • Mars supports Associate professional growth, having many programs in place such as mentoring, coaching, training, leadership development and even classes provided at the company's own Mars University. 
Mars provides the ample opportunities to grow and develop within your function as well as outside of your function.

Great Atmosphere

What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?

At Mars, 80 percent of Associates say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 14 percent sometimes benefits from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of Associates in the Great Atmosphere category.

The Mars headquarters is located in McLean, VA, and has beautiful surrounding walking trails. Working in collaborative pods, not typical cubicles, Associates enjoy an open office environment with plenty of windows. Flowers grow in the indoor garden, relaxing music is played in the bathrooms, exercise classes are available at the onsite gym and Associates can even bring their dogs to the office. 

Fun and Celebrations

  • Mars staffers have plenty of fun throughout the year with family picnics, birthday luncheons, Super Bowl celebrations and tailgate parties. Associates especially enjoy decorating the offices for special events such as the "Boo Bash" at Halloween that has family activities such as pumpkin painting, trick-or-treating, games and more. 

Caring and Support

  • When unexpected life events occur, Mars looks out for its Associates by providing survivor support, funeral leave, flexible schedules, working from home, telecommuting, emergency vacations and unpaid personal leaves of absence. Mars also offers support through face-to-face counseling through the Associate Assistance Program.
People celebrate special events around here.
My team is like my family. We work together as a high collaborative team and we communicate very well.


Great Rewards

What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?

At Mars, 81 percent of Associates often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 14 percent reports they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of Associates in the Great Rewards category.

The benefits are great, including a pension on top of the savings plan. The open office environment and the way the company lives the Five Principles is the best of any company I've ever been a part of. Everyone, no matter the level in the company has open access to senior leaders that are driving the business. The company demands a lot, but it also gives a lot, which is an equation I can live with. This is one of the few remaining companies that really cares about the welfare of its Associates.


$38,325 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Chocolate Production Team Member $62,623 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Plant Supervisor
100% 401(k) match of employees's salary, up to 6% of an employee's contribution 87% Company-paid health coverage for employees
83% Company-paid health coverage for dependents 20 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage


  • 401(k) or 403b plan
  • Pre-tax savings account


  • Free snacks during the day
  • Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
  • Massage therapy
  • Fitness classes
  • Banking
  • Free beverages during the day
  • Onsite package/mailing service
  • Discount ticket sales
  • Weight Watchers meetings
  • Personal travel service


26 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment $5,000 Adoption benefit
5 days Paid leave for adoptive parents


  • Flexible schedule (50% use it)
  • Compressed workweeks (30% use it)
  • Lactation rooms
  • Telecommute option (30% use it)
  • Phased retirement planning
  • Elder care resources
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
The uniqueness of making this a great place to work is the flexibility of work/life and the ability to work from home. Not many companies understand the importance of family and home life. It makes me want to come into work knowing that they care about me.


  • Dental care
  • Prescription drug subsidy
  • Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
  • Vision care
  • Mental health care
  • Fertility treatments


  • Cholesterol tests
  • Flu shots
  • Subsidized offsite gym memberships
  • Blood pressure screening
  • Fitness center
  • Medicare facility

Great Pride

What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?

At Mars, 86 percent of Associates report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 10 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of Associates in the Great Pride category.

Mars aims to remain a top global food manufacturer, providing major retailers and grocers around the world with pet care, chocolate, food, drinks and symbioscience. Mars has annual sales of more than $33 billion.

I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Mars is a place that truly cares about Associates. I enjoy the openness of the company and the fact that all associates are treated the same and fairly.

Supporting the Community

  • Paid time to volunteer per Associate per year: 16 hours
  • Philanthropic donations in the last year: $44,000,000
  • Mars tends to focus on helping organizations that focus on health and prosperity in the community, improve the lives of pets or promote a greener planet. Mars staffers clean parks, refurbish animal shelters, gather food for needy families, create community gardens and more through volunteering at local organizations throughout the year.
  • The Mars Ambassador Program (MAP) directly connects associate skills, talents and interests to community needs.  
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Mars is a great place to work at since there is effort to hire people that will fit the culture and grow the talent, a sincere effort to support the local community and give back both locally and abroad. The Mars Ambassador Program (MAP) matches our associate skills, talents and interests to community needs and supports that work for weeks to months, taking a long-term approach to sustainability. Very cool!

Great Communication

How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?

At Mars, 78 percent of Associates say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 16 percent sometimes has this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.

Although Mars operates over 60 sites in the U.S. where staffers work in the office, on the road or from home, most Associates say they have access to the information they need. The large majority (84 percent) of Mars staffers describe their managers as being approachable and easy to talk with. Eight out of 10 Associates would also say that they are kept informed about important issues and changes by their leaders. Three-quarters or more of Associates agree that they feel free to ask their managers any reasonable question, and feel they will receive a straight answer. They add that managers make their expectations clear and genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas the employees may have. 

The culture is truly unique. The open office, transparency of information sharing, associate concepts, the business-owner mentality of everyone, the Five Principles and living them daily and the investment for the future. 

Great Bosses

What are managers' leadership strengths?

At Mars, 76 percent of Associates say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 18 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 94 percent of Associates in the Great Bosses category.

Mars Associates widely appreciate the collaborative pride and casual atmosphere their leaders encourage at the company. Associates paint a picture of a leadership team with high integrity and competency. The large majority of Associates (88 percent) believe leaders are honest and ethical when it comes to business practices. Eight out of 10 or more Associates believe that the company is competently run and managers show a sincere interest in Associates as people and would only lay them off as a last resort. Three-quarters or more of Associates also agree that managers' actions match their words, leading them to deliver on promises, do a good job of assigning and coordinating people and have a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. 

Engagement meetings resulted in management using associate suggestions to improve communication throughout the facility. Management continually checks in to make sure things are going well. Associates are also champions for each other, making it a family environment.

Great Perks and Programs

  • Open Office Environment: Associates, senior management and the president work in an open office environment, without offices or cubicle walls. Collaboration and open dialogue between associates of all levels is more likely to occur. 
  • Annual Variable Bonus Pay: This is a competitive plan for associates based on business performance and results and is a chance to reward top performers at all levels. 
  • Tuition Reimbursement: Associates who are seeking an undergraduate, graduate or MBA degree are reimbursed $5,250 the first year in tuition and half of the remaining tuition for each following year for any career-related educational pursuits. 
  • Referral Bonuses: Existing Associates are encouraged to provide referral suggestions and are given a bonus if it leads to a successful new hire. An bonus average of $300 for hourly positions and up to $2,000 for senior/executive positions is given. 
  • Mars University: This allows Associates to develop critical skills, tools, connections and mindsets, unleashing their potential. 

Employee Quotes

Great Rated! collected feedback from Mars employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.

"The health benefits are excellent and the commitment to promoting a healthy workplace is highly valued at Mars."

"We have the market clout and resources of a very large company, with the flexibility and growth opportunity of a small company."

"It's really great to know that your hard work makes a difference to the company and associates at all levels. We do not lack communication of recognition here."

"We are a family, a team. Everyone is committed to driving the business forward, innovating what we do and how we do it and the best ideas come from all of us."

"This company treats its staffers as associates and with respect. Associates are appreciated for their hard work and are rewarded. For example, if we have to work longer hours for a project, management occasionally buys us lunch. We also celebrate birthdays. Little things like this make a huge difference and help contribute to Mars being a great place to work."

"Candy all the time! You can bring your dog to work at Petcare sites, which saves you a lot of money that you would otherwise need to pay a dog walker. We have both a pension plan and a 401K retirement plan that the company contributes to. Mars is very passionate about health and well-being. Many of our sites have full-service gyms on the premises."

"I enjoy being part of a family-owned business where I can develop myself into a better person with the help of management."

"Mars is non-union and a very good place to work. Everyone is friendly and smiling and are very engaged Associates."

"The free candy is an extra added bonus. We also have monthly birthday and holiday celebrations to help make coming to work fun and interesting. I also enjoy the onsite exercise classes and health initiatives, such as the outdoor walking breaks and blood pressure screenings. The fact that Mars still offers a pension in a time when few other companies do, is very impressive."

"What I find to be most unique about Mars is the fact that associates are so supportive of one another in personal growth, professional development and in everyday compassion, in the work that we do and with one another. I truly feel happy to consider every other Mars associate that I meet as more than peers, but members of a big family."

"Work/life balance is highly encouraged: half-day Fridays during the summer, flexible working hours all year long and they are open when it comes to vacation and paid time off."

"The amount of social interaction and relationship-building that people participate in here is unlike any other company I have worked for. It is a real family-type work environment."

How to Get Hired

We asked Mars for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.

What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?

Candidates who believe in team collaboration, who are open to new ideas and who fit a combination of: values and cultural fit, Mars leadership and functional capabilities.

What can prospective employees do to get your attention?

We seek candidates who succeed in first-time situations, thrive in freedom with new opportunities, maintain open and honest communications and who are accountable and focused.

Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?

We have opportunities at all levels and functions: corporate affairs, finance, engineering, IT, marketing, HR, manufacturing, R&D, sales and supply chain.

What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?

Visit any of our social media pages, and You can search for opportunities and get connected to the Mars network.

Hiring Outlook

1%Job Growth 60Average number of applicants per opening
7%Total voluntary turnover in past year 118319Applicants in past year

Follow Mars, Incorporated

Related Companies