What You Should Know
Stick with this global hospitality giant long enough and you'll find yourself staying for free at hotels all around the world. That’s a perk that awaits Marriott International associates who put in 25 years with the company
In the meantime, all Marriott associates enjoy discounted rooms, solid health benefits and a welcoming, safe place to work.
Marriott employs more than 100,500 people in the U.S., but its staff enjoy the friendliness and connection of a much smaller organization. In fact, over 90 percent report their colleagues are consistently friendly and readily absorb new people. (Note: With the recent acquisition of Starwood, Marriott International employs more than 140,000 associates in the U.S. This review was prepared pre-acquisition.)
“Everyone is so welcoming and close, like a big family,” one employee says. “We all help each other in the best ways possible.”
The company, founded on the principle that associates who are well taken care of will take good care of guests, makes a point to recognize people for jobs well done. It doles out reams of awards annually while also giving plenty of recognition on a regular basis.
Marriott has also made a big commitment to employee wellness with its TakeCare movement, which supports associates on their path to physical, emotional and financial wellbeing.
“This company values healthy associates and encourages us to take time off when we can, and to refresh, eat well and exercise,” one employee says. “I value that they encourage this.”
That balance is not an isolated event. Eighty-eight percent of Marriott's team say they’re able to take time off when needed. Those who wish to use that time to volunteer are in the right place. The hotel chain gets kudos from its people for its commitment to community service — last year, associates volunteered more than 722,000 hours of time at company sponsored events.
The support the company provides includes offering plenty of opportunities for advancement. “The opportunity given here to grow as a professional is amazing,” says one associate. According to Marriott, more than 50 percent of its managers started out in hourly positions.
“Take care of your associates and they'll take care of you. I love this,” another employee reports. "This is why it's so hard to leave. ... The benefits and the welcome wherever you go makes you feel like family, which is what keeps me.”
What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People celebrate special events around here.
What They Do
We asked Marriott International, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a global lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland with more than 4,400 properties in 87 countries and territories. We operate and franchise hotels and license vacation ownership resorts under 19 brands.
About this Company
| Website: www.marriott.com|| Industry: Hospitality|
| US Headquarters: Bethesda, Maryland|| US Sites: 741|
| Major Locations: Washington, District of Columbia; Orlando, Florida; New York City, New York; Atlanta, Georgia; San Francisco, California|| US Employees: 100,525|
| US Revenues: $11,725 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $14,486 million|
| Employees Worldwide: 218,512|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Stock Symbol: MAR|| Founded: 1927|
Awarded to companies on the Fortune 100 Best Companies List every year for 20 years
Perks and Programs
We asked Marriott International, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- TakeCare Foundation Benefits: Our associates’ wellbeing is our top priority and we want to help give them peace of mind, whatever life throws their way.*
• TakeCare Income Protection for extended time off for illness, injury or to have a baby.
• Parental Leave for mothers and fathers after birth or adoption, plus maternity coverage for birth mothers.
• Adoption Assistance of up to $5,000 reimbursement beginning January 1, 2017.
• Expanded Infertility Coverage effective January 1, 2017.
• TakeCare Relief Fund to help provide peace of mind for associates needing urgent financial help (Launching 2017).
• Financial Fitness including webinars, free financial counseling, associate discounts and credit union membership.
• Free Personalized Life and Health Coaching provided by phone. Health coaches also available by video and onsite at more than 30 properties across the U.S.
*Eligibility may vary.
- Hotel Discounts: On a space-available basis, Marriott associates and certain family members have access to discounted Associate Room Rates. Associates may also provide a discounted Friends and Family Rate to any friend or family member. Associates with 25 years or more of service enjoy Quarter Century Club lifetime complimentary rooms at participating Marriott properties, even after they leave the company.
- Marriott Awards of Excellence: Every year, Marriott honors the “best of the best,” a group of associates nominated by their colleagues for outstanding customer service, corporate citizenship, culture, wellbeing, or diversity and inclusion efforts. Flown in from around the globe, honorees and their families are treated to red carpet welcome and an evening of celebration and praise featuring Marriott senior leadership and hundreds of colleagues. Their stories exemplify the core values of Marriott and are featured with photos and videos on Marriott.com.
- Support for Work-Life Effectiveness: Marriott offers all associates and family members access to expert consultants who can provide information, resources and referrals for virtually any life situation such as parenting, caring for elders, adopting, applying to college, looking for summer camps, creating a budget, dealing with financial or legal issues, and much more. Depending on location, associates have access to onsite child care, child and elder care discounts, new parent coaching and innovative workplace flexibility. Additional support for working parents includes paid parental leave for maternity, paternity and adoption.
- Voyage Global Leadership Development Program: Through this program, recent graduates have an opportunity to immerse into the Marriott culture over 12 to 18 months. A core global curriculum is combined with customized training in each individual’s chosen business area. Through a global, online virtual environment, associates engage with senior leaders through chats and webcasts, and are connected with fellow Voyagers to learn, share and build a network of global colleagues. Together they participate in hands-on experiences, which when combined with online leadership and discipline-specific training leaves them well equipped to embark on a successful career with Marriott. Hundreds of Voyagers have been hired into the program from more than 30 countries. As Voyagers graduate, many move into entry-level management positions within Marriott.
- Heart of the House: Storytelling is a very important part of the Marriott culture. Heart of the House is our external website (http://stories.marriott.com/) where we celebrate associates by sharing their stories, videos and photos of exceptional service in our hotels and communities. These stories help us to foster Marriott’s core values and legacy and tell awesome associate stories in real time.
- Spirit To Serve Our Communities: Marriott embraces the responsibility of being a contributing member to the communities where we operate. This commitment has helped shape our company and is the foundation of our core business value—Serve Our World. We have established a network of 82 Marriott Business Councils of hotel leaders working together. In cities and countries around the world, they drive macro business initiatives including corporate social responsibility, industry advocacy and corporate culture. This past year, associates volunteered more than 720,000 hours in their community. On our annual Spirit To Serve Our Communities Day, 2,000 associates at corporate headquarters and another 33,000 across the globe volunteered 90,000 hours in their communities. See our Twitter, Instagram and Facebook platforms for more information.
- Talent Network Teams: We believe in the power of collaboration and cross-discipline teamwork to drive innovation. Talent Network Teams (TNTs) bring diverse associates together to solve business challenges, promote collaboration and strengthen relationships through informal networking. The TNT concept is rooted in the belief that more subject matter experts isn’t always the answer; that great ideas can come from anywhere; and that diverse thinking will yield the best outcomes. One type of TNT is our Business Challenge Teams comprised of associates who work together outside of their day-to-day roles to solve current or forecasted business challenges. Recent TNTs: “A Clear Path to Food Donation,” “Making Marriott a Home for Veterans,” “Can We Reinvent the Job Seeking Experience?” and “Communicating the Game-Changing Business Value of Marriott’s Corporate Social Responsibility.”
- Diversity & Inclusion Leader: Marriott has one of the most diverse U.S. workforces with 64 percent minorities and 55 percent women. More than 25 years ago, Marriott established the industry’s first formal diversity and inclusion program. Its Women’s Leadership Development Initiative was launched more than 15 years ago to focus on developing a strong pipeline of women leaders, providing opportunities for women to network and build mentoring relationships, and promoting work-life effectiveness. A board-level Committee for Excellence drives global diversity and inclusion efforts and monitors progress with a Diversity Excellence Scorecard. The Global Diversity and Inclusion Council led by President and CEO Arne Sorenson advances Marriott’s progress and ensures the integration of a diversity and inclusion focus across all aspects of our global business strategy.
- Emerging Leader Program: A key pillar of Marriott’s Diversity and Inclusion strategy to increase the numbers of women and minorities in leadership roles is the Emerging Leader Program (ELP). Participants are high performing, front-line leaders, senior leaders and other management associates who have demonstrated the ability to excel to higher levels. A unique aspect of ELP at Marriott is the bringing together of emerging talent who have a broad range of tenure and are at different career stages. Participants are exposed to a yearlong customized, cross-discipline, cross-brand leadership development experience that includes:
• One-on-one interactions with senior leaders
• In-person networking and leadership development sessions, webinars and eLearning
• Online collaboration with leaders and peers
• Stretch assignments, job-shadow opportunities, cross-brand experiences and task force/special projects
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 75% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 3% of an employee's salary||77% Company-paid health coverage for employees (Based on those enrolled in medical benefits, this is the average percentage that the company pays for the low-cost plan available to associates.)|
| 71% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (Based on those enrolled in medical benefits, this is the average percentage that the company pays for the low-cost plan available to associates.)|| 76% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|| $5,250 College Tuition Reimbursement|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
- Massage therapy
- Fitness classes
- Weight watchers meetings
- Vehicle maintenance
- Subsidized public transportation
- Free beverages during the day
- On-site package/mailing service
- Discount ticket sales
- Car wash
- Convenience store
- Dry cleaning
- Personal travel service
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 25 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 18 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (15% use it)
- Job sharing (1% use it)
- Phased retirement planning (1% use it)
- Telecommute option (5% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (8% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|70 days Job-protected maternity leave||10 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|40 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||70 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||$5,000 Adoption benefit|
|70 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents||10 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Onsite child care (only at headquarters)
- On-site or near-site backup childcare center
- Elder care resources
- Offsite subsidized childcare
- Lactation room(s)
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Breast cancer screening
- Skin cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
- Medical facilities (at some locations)
- Prostate cancer screening
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center (at some locations)
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| $35,700,000 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- EVP and Global Chief Human Resources Officer and Global Diversity Executive is accountable to formal diversity goals for employee recruitment and retention
- Formal programs support professional development for: Under-represented racial/ethnic minority groups; Women; Lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender employees; Disabled employees; Speakers of English as a second language
- 2500 events a year connect employees with peers from different racial/ethnic, religious or country-of-origin identities
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
- Medical care covers gender reassignment surgery
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Marriott International, Inc. employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"I appreciate the fact that Marriott cares about the employees. Marriott understands some employees have families and the benefits provided really help everyone."
"The hospitality industry is a fun environment to be a part of because you are helping people have a good time. You also get to meet people from all walks of life from all over the world. Every day is new and exciting and it is a mix of office and field work that is fast paced and conducive to an active/healthy lifestyle."
"We give back to our community. We try to make the world a better place by contributing to our local communities with service and charitable contributions. We continue to explore ways to go green and decrease our energy footprint. I am proud to work for Marriott and have a great deal of respect for the top leadership of Marriott."
"The diversity of all the associates – race, culture, sexual orientation, and age – is what makes Marriott a unique and welcoming place to work."
"I truly believe this is a company that gives you unlimited opportunities to grow. You can work in almost any capacity from manual to executive almost anywhere in the world! "
"I love that working for Marriott feels like working with family. Our team is strong and we support one another."
"As big a company as we have become, Marriott has never strayed from our core values. Mr. Marriott Sr's belief that if you treat your associates well, they will treat your customers well and the customer will come back is as valued today as it was 89 years ago when the company began. That is why so many of my colleagues and I have been here for 25-plus years!"
"I feel my company takes great pride and investment in being a leader in our industry. We are encouraged as associates to provide an excellent product and outstanding service to our guests. In return, management continually rewards us for our efforts through various means such as special meals and parties. It is a pleasure to work for a company where you feel like a part of a team. You can be very proud to say you work here!"
"The focus on personal wellbeing and work/life balance sets this company apart from any other company I have worked for."
"Everyone is very welcoming. I have worked for the company for about 3 months now and I love working here. From day one it has has been a pleasure; everyone makes you feel right at home. "
How to Get Hired
We asked Marriott International, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Marriott seeks associates who have values aligned with Marriott’s: Put People First, Pursue Excellence, Embrace Change, Act With Integrity and Serve Our World. We are team-oriented and characteristics such as trust, loyalty and dependability are important.
In his LinkedIn blog, Marriott President and CEO Arne Sorenson wrote, “Hiring the right talent is one of the most critical aspects of our business. … When I’m looking to hire, I look for someone with a passion for the job. We can train you to work at the front desk, but we can’t train you to be empathetic or to smile. … Even for jobs that are not customer-facing, whether in the back of the house or in our headquarters, a genuine interest in your work is essential for me as an employer.”
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Prospective associates can get our attention at recruitment events and by connecting with us online through various features such as:
“Stay in Touch” enables visitors to our mobile and desktop careers’ sites, and other social media channels, to opt-in to receive job updates and alerts from Marriott based on their geography and job preferences. Users receive alerts for new jobs that may be a fit for them and useful information to help them through the job search process. We also help connect them with our social media channels. “Connect With Us” is a section on our careers site with quick links to the many social networks users can visit to experience Marriott career journeys, connect with our talent recruiting teams, network with our Talent Community Crew, and get up-to-the-minute company information on recruiting and career events. The quick links include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and “Stay in Touch.”
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
The company is especially seeking candidates for positions in operations, culinary and administration. In culinary, for example, Marriott continues to focus on providing exceptional, creative and relevant food and beverage experiences for our customers. A main component of this is attracting and selecting associates who bring enthusiasm, customer-focused service and an entrepreneurial spirit to how they work. In the U.S. and globally, we are seeking exceptional talent to contribute and lead in our property culinary, restaurant and bars experiences.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Read stories and watch videos on Marriott.com about our associates, especially Awards of Excellence honorees.
Visit our careers site to learn about Marriott’s culture, history, and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Visit our Heart of the House site at http://stories.marriott.com/ with stories recognizing our associates.
Subscribe to Marriott Careers on YouTube to view videos highlighting Marriott’s culture and career opportunities.
Follow Marriott, Arne Sorenson, David Rodriguez and Overheard@Marriott on LinkedIn; Marriott Careers on Twitter and @MarriottCareers on Instagram.
Become a fan of Marriott Jobs and Careers on Facebook and interact with our Talent Community Crew.
Visit http://yourspace.marriott.com to view thousands of workplace photos submitted by associates.
Read Bill Marriott’s Marriott on the Move blog, President and CEO Arne Sorenson’s LinkedIn blog.
Visit our hotels – walk around, have lunch, stay for a while; and while you are there, talk with our associates.
| -2% Job Growth|| 23 Average applicants per opening|
| 1,270,533 Applications received|| 40,273 Positions filled in past year|
| 20% New hires by employee referrals|| 12,923 New positions created|
| 14,178 Jobs filled by current employees|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|
| 303 New graduates hired|