What You Should Know
Licking Memorial Health Systems is in the business of taking care of the community of Licking County, Ohio. And to do that in the best way possible, the nonprofit takes care of its employees, rewards them and makes them feel appreciated.
“I think the work that this hospital does for both the community and its employees gives it a unique set of values,” says one employee. “It places both groups at a high priority level, which as an employee is a great feeling to have.”
Within this health system, 96 percent of employees feel good about how they contribute to the community; 92 percent are proud to tell others they work here. That sentiment comes from not only providing care for patients, but from being part of an organization that gives back to the community, whether that's through free sports physicals to students, training programs to help locals find work or its support for nearly 300 community organizations.
“Some health care facilities say their primary goal is to help their community, but in reality, they are a business interested in making money,” says one employee." I am very proud of our hospitals in their goals for our community and their processes in achieving (them).”
In addition to being considered a friendly place to work where people are treated fairly and welcomed from day one, LMHS also gets high marks from nine out of 10 employees for celebrating employee achievements and giving them the resources they need to do their jobs. Robust employee wellness programs, including fitness classes, an on-site garden and access to a Community Supported Agriculture subscription service also help employees keep up on their own well-being.
Twenty-one days of paid vacation — and unlimited sick time — after a year of employment don’t hurt either. That’s part of the reason that 87 percent of employees feel they receive unique benefits from LMHS.
“This organization gives so many benefits to its employees and to the community,” one employee says. “This is a special place.”
What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
This is a physically safe place to work.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
What They Do
We asked Licking Memorial Health Systems to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are a not-for-profit healthcare organization dedicated to improving the health of the community in Licking County, Ohio. We celebrated our 118th birthday in 2016, and provide a full spectrum of patient care services, from emergency medicine to home health care.
About this Company
| Website: http://www.lmhealth.org/|| Industry: Health Care|
| US Headquarters: Newark, Ohio|| US Sites: 25|
| Major Locations: Newark, Ohio; Pataskala, Ohio; Granville, Ohio; Heath, Ohio; Johnstown, Ohio|| US Employees: 1,919|
| US Revenues: $242.5 million|| Worldwide Revenues: $242.5 million|
| Corporate Structure: Non-Profit|| Founded: 1898|
Perks and Programs
We asked Licking Memorial Health Systems to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Employee Wellness: LMHS has an exciting employee wellness program, Balanced Lifestyles, which offers free on-site workout classes, gym membership subsidies, and a couch-to-5k training program. Licking Memorial employees are also offered an opportunity to participate in a variety of intramural sporting events. In addition, the health systems provides biometric screenings that result in a $10/pay health insurance premium incentive for those who participate.
- Healthcare Week Celebration: While most healthcare organizations take time to celebrate their clinical staff, LMHS includes every employee in every department within the organization. The following activities were part of the annual LMHS Hospital and Healthcare Week celebration: bingo, employee cookout, caricature drawings, fresh lemon shake-ups and ice cream truck deliveries to the outbuildings.
- Community Supported Agriculture: LMHS employees have access to a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) subscription service. Through a partnership with a local family-owned farm, employees may have fresh produce, baked goods, cheese, eggs, and meat delivered to the hospital for pick-up. The CSA service promotes good nutrition for our employees and their families, provides a high level of convenience, and has a positive environmental impact. The past two years employees were also invited to participate in the LMHS Hospital Garden. The produce from the garden is enjoyed by participants and is also used in the hospital café and patient meal service. Excess produce is donated to the community.
- Token of Appreciation: Token of Appreciation is a recently enhanced peer recognition program. LMHS employees have the opportunity to write thank you cards to each other and those cards make the recipient eligible for a monthly gift card drawing. Upon submitting the thank you card, the employee also receives a token which may be deposited in a drop box that displays three community charities. This gives employees the opportunity to play a role in directing LMHS’ charitable contributions.
- Length of Service Recognition: Each year, we honor hundreds of employees who reach five-year milestones at LMHS. The Recognition Dinner is held at the Longaberger Golf Club and is attended by honorees and their guests, as well as the LMHS leadership team and the Chairs of the LMH and LMHS Board of Directors. During this event employees are recognized for their commitment to the organization and receive a cash reward.
- Career Counseling: Our Recruitment Specialist offers career counseling sessions to employees exploring opportunities for advancement and career change. As the primary recruiter, the Recruitment Specialist is able to facilitate job shadowing opportunities, meetings with leaders in the desired department, or provide additional insight on the requirements for the desired position. Employees genuinely appreciate the support the organization offers if they determine they want to make a career change. Each month we hire an average of 30 new employees, and we support an average 20 transfers each month.
- Concierge Services: Our concierge office offers various benefits and convenient resources to employees at a low cost. Current services include: Personalized gift wrapping, flower arrangements, engraving, dry cleaning, mail services and "Shoes for Crews". These services provide employees additional opportunities to balance work and life.
- Back-to-School Cookout: In August we like to wrap-up the summer with a "Back to School" cookout! This year we served Italian Grilled Chicken Breasts, Hamburgers, Veggie Burgers, Tomato Corn Salad (from our garden), and an ice cream sundae bar with waffle cups and a variety of toppings! Our employees also like to take a break to play some games (basketball, corn hole, and putt-putt)!
- Short Term Disability Bank: LMHS provides short-term disability pay for all full-time and part-time employees and covers the full cost of this benefit. Short-term disability pay begins accruing immediately upon employment with the goal of providing a level of income protection for employees not able to work due to their medical condition. The maximum disability pay accrual is 1,040 hours (6 months).
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| $63,424 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Staff Nurse|| $313,037 Average salary and additional cash compensation for Physicians|
|81% Company-paid health coverage for employees|| 90% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
| 78% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|| $2,047 College Tuition Reimbursement|
- Health insurance for retirees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
- Personal concierge service
- Massage therapy
- Convenience store
- Subsidized lunch on a regular, daily basis
- On-site package/mailing service
- Fitness classes
- Dry cleaning
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 21 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 8 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (30% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (35% use it)
- Telecommute option (1% use it)
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take|
|60 days Job-protected paternity leave||5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|$2,000 Adoption benefit||60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Breast cancer screening
- Skin cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
- Medical facilities (at some locations)
- Prostate cancer screening
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center (at some locations)
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
Community Involvement & Philanthropy
| $4,377,840 Philanthropic donations in last year|
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
Great Place to Work® collected feedback from Licking Memorial Health Systems employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"I think the work that this hospital does for both the community and its employees gives it a unique set of values. It places both groups at a high priority level, which as an employee is a great feeling to have."
"This workplace, in my experience, has always been very generous to its employees. We are offered excellent benefits, given bonuses and have multiple events on campus to encourage employee participation and maintain good morale."
"Management is consistently looking for ways to benefit both the community and employees to achieve win-win situations. Many programs focused on health are offered to employees and the public free of charge. LMHS is a great resource to the local community and strives to provide excellent patient care and continually improve."
"We truly are here to improve the health of our community. Some health care facilities say their primary goal is to help their community, but in reality they are a business interested in making money for their company. I am very proud of our hospital in their goals for our community and their processes in achieving those goals.
"The organization is very clear about its mission and expectations for employees. Anyone who is conscientious, hard working and committed to that mission has the ability to do well in the organization."
"Upper management show that they really care about us as people not just employees. They are constantly looking at what they can do to thank us. Bonuses, cookouts, special events. They make you feel like you are needed and wanted as a part of this team and the work environment has a family feel to it!!"
"The organization supports the mission and values of the company to improve the health within the community. They provide resources and community support to stay involved in area events and activities. They educate the community regarding their health with every opportunity made available. They donate to area schools, programs, charities, and other worthy causes. They also provide events within the workplace to involve employees and give a sense of family."
"Everyone who works here trully wants to help improve the life of the community. People go out of their way to make patients feel at home."
"The staff are wonderful at helping each other out no matter what the issues."
"We are always celebrating something — birthdays, awards, MVPs, employee cookouts, etc. This makes coming to work fun. Celebrating the good times makes a great work environment!"
How to Get Hired
We asked Licking Memorial Health Systems for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Our mission and values remain at the core of our hiring philosophy. LMHS looks for individuals who are caring and compassionate, and who will hold each other to high standards of performance in service to our customers. Our employees enjoy taking on new challenges, and working together to solve problems. In an industry that is constantly changing, the most successful candidates are those who display an eagerness to learn and grow with the organization.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Every success we accomplish as an organization is achieved through the passionate efforts of employees who generously share their individual talents. A common tenet for employees in the healthcare industry is to treat each patient as they would a family member. With over 75% of LMHS employees living in the community they proudly serve, the patients often are truly our relatives, neighbors, or close friends, who benefit greatly from our employees’ dedication to the community. Managers seek candidates who display an eagerness to make a positive contribution to the quality of life in Licking County. Candidates who have frequently jumped from one job to the next without explanation, thereby demonstrating a lack of commitment to any particular community or cause, may have a more difficult time finding employment with LMHS.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are always looking for candidates that are motivated to excel, and demonstrate strong customer service and critical thinking skills.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Visit our career site at www.LMHS.jobs.
| 569 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 4% Job Growth|
| 10,492 Applications received|| 20% New hires by employee referrals|
| 83 New positions created|| 205 Jobs filled by current employees|
| Yes Recruits on college campuses|| 29 New graduates hired|
| 16% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees|| 32% Voluntary turnover for part-time employees|