What You Should Know
LeasePlan USA employees say they’re in the driver’s seat, whether it’s coming up with solutions for a client or contributing feedback about where to locate the vehicle-leasing and management firm’s HQ. A large majority of employees praise managers’ competence and call LeasePlan a great workplace. All staffers enjoy a formal mentoring program, while a special series focuses on women’s professional development. Those without much personal drive won’t find the demanding workload a fit. But 92 percent of employees say work-life balance is encouraged, and 93 percent say they feel like “we’re all in this together.” Says one worker, "The employees are empowered to make a difference - whether that be suggesting process improvements or going above and beyond to resolve issues that arise."
WHAT THEY DO
LeasePlan is a fleet-leasing and management company with locations in Alpharetta, Ga., and Rolling Meadows, Ill. The company orders vehicles from manufacturers, processes registrations and manages violations, maintenance, accidents, fuel purchases and anything else people need when owning a car.
||US Headquarters: Alpharetta, Georgia
|US Sites: 2
||Major Locations: Alpharetta, GA; Rolling Meadows, IL
|US Employees: 488
||Industry: Financial Services & Insurance
How much responsibility would I have? What kind of support is there for professional development?
Great Rated! conducted an anonymous survey of randomly selected employees to assess the quality of the workplace challenges the company provides. At LeasePlan, 85 percent of employees report the company often or almost always provides needed training, fair promotions and personally challenging work. Another 11 percent report the company sometimes provides these opportunities, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Challenges category.
LeasePlan employees order vehicles from manufacturers, process registrations and manage violations, maintenance, accidents, fuel purchases and anything else people need when owning a car. The company has approximately 488 employees in the United States, where they operate in two locations: Alpharetta, Ga., and Rolling Meadows, Ill.
A significant majority of employees (92 percent) say they carry a lot of responsibility in the organization, and most (89 percent) also say that managers trust them to carry out these responsibilities without micromanaging them. For the majority of employees (87 percent), their work at LeasePlan is more than just a job: It has special meaning.
At LeasePlan, 89 percent of employees feel they receive the training and development they need to further their careers. While it is often difficult for companies to ensure that promotions are awarded fairly across organizations, at LeasePlan, 75 percent say that promotions consistently go to those who best deserve them, within 10 percentage points of what one can typically expect at even the very best companies in the country.
Supporting Employee Development
- College Tuition Reimbursement: $4,200
- Average annual training for part-time hourly employees: 13 hours
- Average annual training for full-time salaried employees: 36 hours
- LeasePlan has several mentoring programs, including one that focuses on helping women position themselves for success.
We work hard on making our clients' needs and expectations the priority with regard to our service levels. The employees are empowered to make a difference - whether that be suggesting process improvements or going above and beyond to resolve issues that arise.
What would my colleagues be like? How do people have fun? How formal a workplace is it?
At LeasePlan, 89 percent of employees say they often or almost always enjoy their colleagues and find their workplace to be fun and cooperative. Another 8 percent sometimes benefit from these qualities, for a combined positive rating from 97 percent of employees in the Great Atmosphere category.
LeasePlan has two locations. Management is in the process of updating and expanding work spaces and consulted with staff on their preferences.
Fun and Celebrations
- LeasePlan has an employee committee that is responsible for planning events that make it fun to come to work. These have included a murder mystery at Halloween, Ping-Pong tournaments on St. Patrick's Day, a Valentine's Day raffle, a Superbowl lunch, "muffins for Mom" on Mother's Day and "doughnuts for Dad" on Father's Day. Employees also enjoy a popular annual prom-style event.
Caring and Support
- An Employee Assistance Program offers five free consultations with a professional for employees facing significant life events or in need of crisis management. Employees have supported their colleagues in need by raising money to assist with funeral arrangements or donating frequent-flyer points to family members to attend out-of-town funerals.
People celebrate special events around here.
We care! The employees at LeasePlan care about one another and the community. We support our own when needed during the good, bad and ugly of life! We also support those outside of the company by giving money, supplies, emotional support, business guidance, cars, etc.
What kind of perks and benefits are part of the employment package? What is the work-life balance like? Does the company appreciate hard work?
At LeasePlan, 85 percent of employees often or almost always find the company compensates them fairly, provides special and unique benefits, supports their work-life balance and shows genuine appreciation for their contributions. Another 10 percent report they sometimes receive these benefits as well, for a combined positive rating from 95 percent of employees in the Great Rewards category.
Although we are not an employee-owned company and we don't have stock in the company, I really feel as though I own a piece of LeasePlan. I feel like what I do helps to drive our success, and in the end we all get to reap the benefits with things such as profit sharing, celebrations and end-of-year bonuses or gift cards.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 80% Company-paid health coverage for dependents
|| 30 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage
| 100% 401(k) match of the first 3% of employee's contribution and then 50% of the next 2%
|| 80% Company-paid health coverage for employees
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
- Massage therapy
- Fitness classes
- Weight Watchers meetings
- Subsidized public transportation
- Onsite package/mailing service
- Discount ticket sales
- Car wash
- Vehicle maintenance
- Personal travel service
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 25 days Holidays & PTO after one year of employment
|| 60 days Job protected maternity leave provided above and beyond FMLA
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Flexible schedule (46% use it)
- Phased retirement planning
- Elder care resources
- Telecommute option (21% use it)
- Lactation rooms
I am able to take time off from work when I think it's necessary.
People are encouraged to balance their work life and their personal life.
I knew this was a special place during the interview process. The individual conducting the meeting said, "If you find yourself working more than 40 hours a week, we want to know about it. That means we've given you too much to do and need to take some pressure off of you." I was blown away. I've been here more than two years now, and I can attest that management does care about a work-life balance and wants all of us to remember there is more to life than work.
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy or chiropractic
- Vision care
- Mental health care
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
What inspires employees' company spirit here? Do people stand by their teams' work? What impact do people have outside the organization?
At LeasePlan, 91 percent of employees report that they often or almost always carry meaningful responsibilities within the organization and are proud of their accomplishments, community impact and the company's reputation in the world. Another 7 percent report that they sometimes experience this pride as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Pride category.
LeasePlan aims to help clients' organizations drive down transportation costs while keeping its drivers on the road and focused on their core jobs. In April 2013, the company was named the No. 1 mid-size workplace by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution for the second time in four years.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
We get the job done better than anyone else in our industry. We perform well under the pressure. We go out of our way to welcome clients and prospects, showing them we want a real relationship and not just the dollars in their checkbook. We learn from our mistakes and correct errors when we are in the wrong, even if it means stroking a check back to the client. We are not afraid to be slapped with mud on our face when we make a mistake. Clients see that and appreciate we have real integrity, caring, and fix it - not just smooth things over. We have the best sales team, period. We will be No. 1 in the USA by our industry standards soon.
Supporting the Community
- 16 hours paid time to volunteer per employee per year
- $89,601 in philanthropic donations in the last year
- LeasePlan focuses its philanthropic donations on children and poverty issues, youth services and environmental and animal issues in their communities.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Our LeasePlan Cares Committee raises money in very creative ways for our chosen charities of the year. Charities are chosen by the committee in a rigorous process that includes an interview with representatives from the charity. Money is raised throughout the year and spread among the charities equally. I'm proud to say I work for LeasePlan, because we do so much for the community. A couple of years ago we donated a bus to the Atlanta Children's Shelter. It was a very proud moment to be a part of the LeasePlan Family.
How easy is it to talk with managers and get the information I need? Will managers listen to my input?
At LeasePlan, 89 percent of employees say they often or almost always experience a free and transparent exchange of ideas and information within the organization. Another 9 percent sometimes have this experience as well, for a combined positive rating from 98 percent of employees in the Great Communication category.
LeasePlan's commitment to employee communication is strong and staff feel they get the information they need to do their jobs. Even though they are spread among two locations, a large majority (93 percent) of employees surveyed say managers keep them informed about important issues and changes, and almost as many (92 percent) feel expectations are made clear. More than nine out of 10 employees say their leaders are approachable and easy to talk to, while almost as many (89 percent) says managers genuinely seek and respond to suggestions and ideas.
Our management team continuously explains to each employee the direct impact their role and responsibilities have on our clients' experiences and to our company goals. By doing so, an easy path is carved for all employees to follow. On paper, this is the right formula for success for any company. What isn't on paper at LeasePlan, and what is difficult to define concretely, is that our employees sincerely want to do a great job for LeasePlan and for our clients. There is pride in work, a sense of collaboration among teams and most everyone will do whatever it takes to make our clients happy. This would not be possible if there wasn't a degree of transparency between the management team and employees.
What are managers' leadership strengths?
At LeasePlan, 86 percent of employees say their managers often or almost always act with integrity and care, are competent in their positions and provide clear directions and vision for the organization. Another 10 percent say their managers sometimes display these characteristics, for a combined positive rating from 96 percent of employees in the Great Bosses category.
LeasePlan employees widely appreciate the open communication and consideration toward employees their leaders encourage. Staffers paint a picture of managers who are caring, effective and trustworthy. They say bosses "walk the floor regularly" and show their support for work-life balance. A large majority (96 percent) say their managers are competent at running the business and nearly as many (94 percent) say they have a clear view of where the organization is going and how to get there. Additionally, 94 percent feel their leaders are honest and ethical in their business practices. Most (89 percent) also feel managers deliver on their promises and almost as many (88 percent) say their actions match their words.
The unique thing about LeasePlan is the way upper management includes every employee in the conversation. Big decisions that truly affect the employees are brought to us in an Open Forum, leading to discussion and understanding really unheard of at most companies.
Great Perks and Programs
- Front Row Program and Employee of the Quarter: Employees are nominated by managers each month for exhibiting one of LeasePlan's four core values – passion, expertise, commitment and respect – and one is awarded front-row parking (formerly executive parking spots) for a month. From these winners, one is chosen each quarter and receives front-row parking for the entire quarter as well as a fuel card for gasoline.
- Mentoring Program: This is a six-month program that allows the mentee to select a goal, whether professional or personal, and work with their mentor on how to achieve it. At the end of the six months, the mentee has the option to continue the relationship, end it or select a new mentor.
- Profit Sharing: Employees who have been with the company for at least two years are eligible to participate in the profit-sharing program. Employees receive increased profit-sharing deposits based on the company's target achievement.
- Annual Celebration: A formal party for employees and a guest is held in honor of the company making its goals from the previous year. One year, everyone in the Chicago office was flown to Atlanta for a combined party.
- Flex Time and Telecommuting: LeasePlan has a flexible work schedule that includes a variety of scheduling options. A telecommuting policy allows employees to work from home one or more days a week on a regular basis. About half of the employees in the organization participate in some form of telecommuting or flexible work-hours program.
Great Rated! collected feedback from LeasePlan employees via an anonymous survey. Following are common reasons employees said they appreciate their workplace.
"I would have to say, in my opinion, what is unusual about this company is the family atmosphere. Last year, our company held a get-together that included employees who work for LeasePlan from around the world. In that one night, I met a gentleman from Brazil and, true to the culture of our company, you would have thought I knew him for years with how the night's interaction went. Since then, we have kept in touch, and I now have a friend in Brazil."
"We have a CEO who values the employee; it's not all about the money. With his leadership, everything flows nicely, resulting in a great workplace."
"Taking the pulse of all personnel is the norm ... from deciding on the location of our headquarters to the type of celebration we have when we meet our financial targets. Each quarter, our executive management team hosts a town-hall meeting to communicate how our performance compares to the annual plan, as well as any other important issues potentially affecting personnel."
"We care! The employees at LeasePlan care about one another and the community. We support our own when needed during the good, bad and ugly of life! We also support those outside of the company by giving money, supplies, emotional support, business guidance, cars, etc."
"I knew this was a special place during the interview process. The individual conducting the meeting said, 'If you find yourself working more than 40 hours a week, we want to know about it. That means we've given you too much to do and need to take some pressure off of you.' I was blown away. I've been here over two years now, and I can attest that management does care about a work-life balance and wants all of us to remember there is more to life than work."
"We have the best sales team, period. I have met the other sales guys from the competitors when in one of the many positions in my career. They did not show their own client seriousness. Result: We won the account away from the competitor, a competitor who had a 20-plus year relationship with the client. We are the absolute best in our business and around the world. "
"Although we are not an employee-owned company, and we don't have stock in the company, I really feel as though I own a piece of LeasePlan. I feel like what I do helps to drive our success and, in the end, we all get to reap the benefits with things such as profit sharing, celebrations and end-of-year bonuses or gift cards."
"Any time there is a death, birth, or hard times are experienced by an employee, we all come together like the true family we are. Unheard of in most companies our size."
"I feel as if they really care about their employees. They match our 401(k). If we have a good year, they give us profit share and put into our 401(k)."
"Management really cares for the physical well-being of its employees by providing onsite health screenings and onsite activities to promote a healthy lifestyle. "
"They do special things for their employees to show that they value them, e.g., free lunches catered in, birthday celebrations, excellent health benefits, ample profit sharing and other bonuses and salaries that meet and exceed market standards."
"I happen to be one of seven people in a department whose sole client decided to take their business elsewhere. Of course, I was concerned about not having a job within a few months, until our CEO announced that none of us would lose our jobs. I'm two months into my new position and quite happy to be here. There are still three people on my former team who are finishing the business for our former client, and they will be reassigned to other departments. What company today would do this for their employees? LeasePlan is the best."
How to Get Hired
We asked LeasePlan for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
When recruiting for LeasePlan, we look to identify candidates who best represent our four core values – Passion, Expertise, Commitment and Respect. Through behavioral-based interview questions, we look to identify candidates who “live” the LeasePlan values.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
To be a part of this great team, check us out on the web at www.us.leaseplan.com or email your resume to email@example.com.
||3Average number of applicants per opening
|4%Total voluntary turnover in past year
||253Applicants in past year
|20Openings in past year
||25%New hires by employee referrals