What Employees Say
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
Management is competent at running the business.
People look forward to coming to work here.
This is a fun place to work.
Our facilities contribute to a good working environment.
What They Do
We asked KAYAK Software Corp to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
KAYAK is the world's leading travel search engine. Our site and apps process 1.5 billion annual searches and we operate 40 local sites in over 20 languages. KAYAK is an independently managed subsidiary of The Priceline Group.
About this Company
| Website: www.kayak.com|| Industry: Information Technology|
| US Headquarters: Stamford, Connecticut|| US Sites: 3|
| Major Locations: Cambridge, Massachusetts; Concord, Massachusetts|| US Employees: 233|
| Employees Worldwide: 432|| Corporate Structure: Public|
| Founded: 2004|
Perks and Programs
We asked KAYAK Software Corp to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Manage your own career path: With a lean team and flat hierarchy, every member of the team makes an impact and has the opportunity to shape their career path. For example, when the head of our analytics team fell in love with Amazon Alexa, the team decided to build a KAYAK integration with the product. When a member of our sales team expressed interest in managing the back-end of campaigns, she became the founding member of our Ad Operations team.
- SWAT Teams: At KAYAK our top performers are put on SWAT teams and challenged to tackle high risk or high priority projects. These dynamically created teams are allowed to break processes and ignore regular responsibilities, including managerial duties. We remove any roadblocks for their projects to ensure they are able to get the job done.
- Innovation Challenges (aka SWAT Week): Throughout the year, employees are incentivized and given dedicated time to come up with new ideas for KAYAK. The winners get cash or other rewards, for successfully launched ideas, and most importantly, bragging rights.
- KAYAK Travel Bonus: KAYAK employees love to travel and after working for the company for three years (3 years, 6 years, 9 years etc.), they earn $3,000 to put toward their next trip. The program has taken our teammates from South Africa to Nicaragua to Dubai, among other hot spots.
- KAYAK Travel Research Grants: It's the ultimate business trip with a twist. We give employees the opportunity to take a trip on company time to conduct professional research that will inform our product team and our users. For example, three US employees traveled together to Milan, Italy to attend the World Expo and three members of our European team traveled to Lisbon and Porto. Both groups chronicled their experience on the KAYAK blog.
- Massages and Fitness Classes: We help our employees make health and wellness a part of their work week by offering in-office massages along with employee organized fitness classes (yoga, NikeFit etc). We also have a dedicated space for fitness so employees can squeeze in a class, stretch, or workout during the day.
- Parental Leave: If there's one thing that new parents need to transition back to work, it's flexibility. At KAYAK, new parents have the option to take paid leave at their discretion. For example, a new mom could take two full months off and then use the remaining 20 days to come back part-time for a couple months or take full paid time off for three months straight.
- Monthly Social Events: From ski trips, to cooking classes to our annual Cinco de Mayo celebration, our local social committees regularly plan events to get the team together to have a little fun out of the office.
- Pet-Friendly Offices: Pets are welcome at KAYAK and often found under desks, enjoying snacks and hanging out with members of the team. Our furry friends love the company and so do we.
- Summer Fridays: Honoring the importance of work/life balance at KAYAK employees get out at 3pm every Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 50% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary||90% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 90% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free snacks during the day
- Free breakfast foods on a regular, daily basis
- Fitness classes
- Free beverages during the day
- Massage therapy
- Subsidized public transportation
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 41 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| Unlimited Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
| 5 days Paid sick days after one year of part-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||60 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||10 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|10 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)||10 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents||60 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Fitness center (at all locations)
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked KAYAK Software Corp for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
We are looking for teammates who can work autonomously but execute collaboratively. You must want to build something bigger and bolder than just your resume. Creativity is at the core of our culture and we have a healthy disdain for “industry norms.” We believe that passion plus aptitude is what fuels innovation. As we focus on giving the world a better way to plan and manage travel, we make sure to enjoy ourselves while doing it.
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
| 50 Job openings forecast for coming year|| 13% Job Growth|
| 158 Average applicants per opening|| 17,909 Applications received|
| 76 Positions filled in past year|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|