What Employees Say
People here are willing to give extra to get the job done.
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
Management hires people who fit in well here.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
What They Do
We asked Kahler Slater, Inc. to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
We are an award-winning team of Experience Designers: Working from three offices between the US and Singapore, we are a team of creative problem-solvers, including architects, interior designers and graphic designers, who work with visionary clients seeking better experiences and environments for themselves and the people they serve.
About this Company
| Website: www.kahlerslater.com|| US Headquarters: Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
| US Sites: 2|| Major Locations: Milwaukee, WI; Madison, WI|
| US Employees: 103|| Employees worldwide: 116|
| Founded: 1908|| Industry: Architecture & Design|
Perks and Programs
We asked Kahler Slater, Inc. to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Ownership: A unique aspect of working here is the opportunity to become an owner (stock holder) in Kahler Slater. Our open criteria for leadership and ownership make it possible for any member of the staff to work towards this goal. Currently, over one-third of our staff members are owners to one degree or another (between 0.5% and 15% of stock). Although there is an expense to becoming a stockholder we have always offered to help finance the purchase and, in the end, the stock has consistently appreciated in value since it was instituted in 1992. In this way, we are contributing to the personal net worth of staff in addition to their current cash compensation.
- Community Committee: In response to our core value of “Community,” this team prioritizes and organizes our efforts by formally adopting a non-profit partner(s) for two-year commitments. We focus our firm-wide philanthropic and volunteer efforts on those partners. In 2013-14 we partnered with Habitat for Humanity. For 2015-16 we are partnering with organizations dedicated to fighting hunger in our respective communities. They are the Hunger Task Force (Milwaukee), the Community Action Coalition Food Bank (Madison) and Willing Hearts (Singapore). We believe this focused approach leads not only to a greater benefit to the agency(ies) we’re supporting, but it also instills deeper personal relationships between our staff and the agencies, creating more pride in our work and allowing for more opportunities for personal leadership in the community.
- Singapore Office: In 2009 our Health Care team responded to the opportunity (and challenge) to staff a new office in Singapore, with only a one-month formal notice! At that time, six staff agreed to relocate to Singapore, for two to eighteen months. Subsequently, starting in 2012, we committed to further growing our presence in Singapore. We currently have fifteen staff members, half of whom are from the US and half of whom we hired locally. We also have many more staff who reside in the US and actively collaborate on projects with the team in Singapore. Since 2009 over twenty-four staff from the US have taken advantage of the opportunity to work in Singapore, with their stays ranging from two weeks to over three years.
- KS Experience: Employees, clients, and friends of the firm are frequently invited to cruise the rivers in Milwaukee and Lake Michigan during our warm summer months on the Experience, a pontoon boat docked next to our office. The Experience also acts as a “floating conference room” for the firm. We have expanded the use of the boat by training over one dozen additional captains; a perk in its own right…“Come to Kahler Slater and learn to be a river boat pilot!” We also share the Experience with our community, frequently donating architectural river cruises to charity events. In 2015 alone, through our donations of the boat, fuel, captain and crew, food and beverages to eight non-profits we helped them raise over $6,000, collectively.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 25% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 6% of an employee's salary|| 72% Company-paid health coverage for employees|
| 72% Company-paid health coverage for dependents|| 30 hours Weekly hours at which part-timers receive health care coverage|
PERKS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER
- Free beverages during the day
- Dry cleaning
- Personal travel service
- On-site package/mailing service
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 24 days Holidays & vacation days after one year of employment|| 60 days Job protected maternity leave|
| 10 days Paid leave for adoptive parents|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Unpaid sabbaticals
- Telecommute option (4% use it)
- Phased retirement planning (1% use it)
- Flexible schedule (99% use it)
- Compressed work weeks (1% use it)
- Lactation room(s)
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments, such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Fertility treatments
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Prostate cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol tests
- Complete biometric screening
How to Get Hired
We asked Kahler Slater, Inc. for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
• A collaborative nature
• Openness to exploration of new ideas (generated by others)
• Willingness to pitch in at a moment’s notice to help others to succeed
• Sensibility to see that the whole is greater than their individual contributions
• Ability to communicate complex ideas with clarity
• Passion for craft
• Desire to seek the right solution (rather than the expedient one)
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Please see the Careers section of our website for the current list of open positions in our firm.
| 11% Job Growth|| 19 Average applicants per opening|
| 6% Total voluntary turnover of full-time employees in the past year|| 333 Applicants in past year|
| 27 Openings in past year|| 33% New hires by employee referrals|
Follow Kahler Slater, Inc.