What Employees Say
I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
This is a physically safe place to work.
I believe management would lay people off only as a last resort.
When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.
What They Do
We asked Johnsonville Sausage to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
Wisconsin-based Johnsonville Sausage is the No. 1 national sausage brand, featuring bratwurst, Italian, snack and breakfast sausages in fresh and fully cooked varieties. Founded in 1945 by the late Ralph F. and Alice Stayer, the company remains family-owned today.
About this Company
| Website: www.johnsonville.com|| Industry: Manufacturing & Production|
| US Headquarters: Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin|| Major Locations: Chicago, Illinois; Watertown, Wisconsin; Holton, Kansas|
| US Employees: 1,430|| Corporate Structure: Private|
| Founded: 1945|
Perks and Programs
We asked Johnsonville Sausage to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- Made the Johnsonville Way Campaign: At Johnsonville, our members are responsible for everything. This year, that includes our commercials. The culture that Owner Ralph Stayer established 30 years ago – empowering members to make hiring decisions, stop production lines, or recommend a new process – allowed this to happen. The campaign began with an open call to members, asking “If you could make a Johnsonville commercial, what would it be?” 100 members were interviewed. Three ideas were chosen and made into ads. “To see our members have a voice in our brand story, well, that just makes me so proud,” said Stayer. “Our members hold our product to the highest standards. They are their own harshest critics and biggest fans, so who better to share the Johnsonville story with our consumer?”
- Great Performance Share: Johnsonville members know that each job within the company (including their own!) is critical to our success. Our Great Performance Share (GPS) program inspires all members to feel that their work is more than just a job. Through the GPS program, all part-time and full-time Johnsonville members are eligible to receive a monthly bonus based on their personal performance and the performance and profitability of the company. GPS rewards our members for achieving these goals using a balanced scorecard, encouraging members to always act in the best interests of the company, and providing a platform to discuss business results on a monthly basis.
- Way to Go: Appreciation is one of Johnsonville's values, so you hear the words “thank you” in our hallways a lot. Johnsonville’s “Way to Go” peer recognition program lets members thank their teammates for living “The Johnsonville Way" and exemplifying our company values. Members can show appreciation to their co-workers with a “Way to Go” e-card. In 2015. nearly 4,500 Way to Go e-cards were sent to members across the company. All “Way to Go” recipients are recognized in our member newsletter and entered to win monthly prize packs and extra paid days off. As an added bonus, we have a few surprise "Recognize the Recognizers" raffles each year where members who have submitted a "Way to Go" can win an extra day of PTO
- We Give As a Team: Service work positively impacts our local communities; and, it also provides meaningful benefits for volunteers, such as reducing stress, finding a sense of purpose and strengthening social skills. In 2015, Johnsonville members created and launched the “We Work as a Team, We Give as a Team” program to promote community service and teamwork among our members. Through the program, members can complete eight hours of paid service time off (STO) each year at local non-profits. In year one, more than one-third of eligible members participated, working on a Habitat for Humanity build, harvesting fresh produce and preparing meals at homeless shelters and spending time at the Senior Activity Center of Sheboygan.
- Coaching Clubs: We Coach Because We Care! Johnsonville launched the Coaching Clubs program to help our members learn positive coaching behaviors and accelerate the development of our leaders. In 2015, 26 different clubs were formed, made up of 230 coaches from all different functional areas. They meet on a monthly basis to share best coaching practices and discuss challenges. Coaching Clubs have proven to be a great tool to learn and apply The Johnsonville Way culture to coaching.
- BLAST Leadership Program: At Johnsonville, our goal is to fill at least 70 percent of open coaching (management) roles internally. So it’s imperative to develop and grow leaders within the company. Our Organizational Development & Learning team created a nine-month program called Leadership BLAST (Building Leaders and Superlative Teams), for members to develop their leadership and coaching skills. The BLAST program has helped Johnsonville’s bottom line through action learning projects, the creation of continuous improvement teams and it also helps us fill coaching roles internally. Program graduates often share that the opportunity to learn from and network with other leaders across the organization is one of the most beneficial outcomes of the program. Today, nearly 50 percent of company leaders are BLAST graduates!
- Careville: Johnsonville members have big hearts! We support member volunteerism and our local communities through our Careville programs, called Dollars for Doers and Brats for a Cause. Dollars for Doers provides $250 to eligible nonprofit organizations where a member volunteers at least 20 hours each year. (Twice as nice: when a member volunteers 40 hours at a non-profit, Johnsonville will double that donation to $500.) Brats for a Cause provides 100 free brats for fundraising to support either: a) a nonprofit organization where a member volunteer or b) a family member or friend who is experiencing a hardship. Each year, Johnsonville donates nearly 100 cases of brats and $50,000 through the program!
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% 401(k) match of employee's contribution, up to 1% of an employee's salary||85% Company-paid health coverage for employees (N/A)|
| 85% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (N/A)|| 85% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers|
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 18 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment|| 5 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment|
| 5 days Paid sick days after one year of full-time employment|
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
- Phased retirement planning
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|60 days Job-protected maternity leave||5 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)|
|60 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take||60 days Job-protected paternity leave|
|5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take||$3,000 Adoption benefit|
|60 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents|
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Medical care
- Vision care
- Mental health care
- Dental care
- Prescription drug subsidy
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
ONSITE HEALTH BENEFITS
- Breast cancer screening
- Skin cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Complete biometric screening
- Subsidized offsite gym memberships
- Prostate cancer screening
- Cholesterol tests
- Flu shots
- Fitness center (only at headquarters)
- Married employees in same-sex or heterosexual relationships receive the same benefits
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
How to Get Hired
We asked Johnsonville Sausage for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
At Johnsonville, our members are responsible for everything! If you're passionate about making a difference, we want you to help make our products, our processes, our communities and each other better. Come join our family-owned company.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Interested in joining the Johnsonville family? Visit jobs.johnsonville.com to learn more about our culture, check out open positions and submit your application.
| 31% New hires by employee referrals|| Yes Recruits on college campuses|